Black Metal Saved My Life

Guest Airjamie

Not to mention that Living Color, despite that one song becoming hilariously overplayed, is kind of a fucking awesome band. Vernon Reid is a monster.

Black Metal, Black Rock Coalition.... I loves me some ripping-ass tunes.

Opeth is definitely on my 'sucks' list, unfortunately.

They are criminally overrated in my opinion, and haven't done much

to merit the attention they get besides establishing a big enough fan

base to be considered a 'major' metal band.

Guest Airjamie

opeth is fucking terrible. Goddamnit is opeth terrible. Everytime I hear opeth i think of this one fat chick who works at the record store. She wears velvet shirts and paints tears on her face and smokes cloves out of one of those long metal ciggarette filters. What a fucking waste of life. I imagine every single opeth show is filled with douchebags like this. Kinda like moonspell. I went to see bloodbrothers in atlanta in like november and moonspell were playing downstairs so my friends and I went downstairs during (i actually dont know who the band was but they were terrible and they had like 192321 people in the band, and they were acoustic) one of the bands to rag on the goth kids. Anyway, the fruitcake from katatonia had a skull staff! he was like an even gayer skeletor (the one from the cartoon, the movie guy was sweet).

Guest itsmeJT
opeth is fucking terrible. Goddamnit is opeth terrible. Everytime I hear opeth i think of this one fat chick who works at the record store. She wears velvet shirts and paints tears on her face and smokes cloves out of one of those long metal ciggarette filters. What a fucking waste of life. I imagine every single opeth show is filled with douchebags like this. Kinda like moonspell. I went to see bloodbrothers in atlanta in like november and moonspell were playing downstairs so my friends and I went downstairs during (i actually dont know who the band was but they were terrible and they had like 192321 people in the band, and they were acoustic) one of the bands to rag on the goth kids. Anyway, the fruitcake from katatonia had a skull staff! he was like an even gayer skeletor (the one from the cartoon, the movie guy was sweet).

you think that you're different to her LOL

how cute!

Guest Airjamie

Youve been on my nuts for three pages. Why dont you just admit you want to suck my dick already. This lame passive agressive flirting is getting old.

I don't listen to it much anymore but black metal helped me appreciate more dissonant sounds/music. Kind of weird but it was a bridge to stuff like keiji haino, ruins, john zorn, masonna. Anyway, standard Mayhem+Burzum+Emperor for the most part. Lately I've liked anaal nathrakh and gorgoroth's last albums, and heimdalls nacht's "der untergang der alten welt"

Mentioning Sunn0, I saw them a few months ago when they toured with Celtic Frost. Truth be told I was there for Sunn though CF has some cool songs too. I thought Sunn did an amazing show, Attila on vocals was also neat. After they got off the stage I grabbed a beer and asked these older crusty (obviously there for CF) dudes what they thought, one guy just said his middle finger was getting tired. Hahah.

• 1 month later...

Is this topic about black metal or metal in general? Because fuck black metal and it's makeup, axes, makeup, strangled chipmunk vocals, Scandinavian miserableness and makeup. And the axes. Also fuck the obsession with black leather. And the makeup. Also its pretentions of musical substance.

In regard to the last point, also see symphonic metal and power metal. Just because you have a fucking keyboard with a string sound doesn't mean you can write classical music. Roughly the only Scandinavian metal band I listen to frequently is At The Gates, and that's because their music largely consists of no-nonsense kicking out of your eardrums.

Also, I saw Abigail Williams live and they were shit. Thankfully Suicide Silence tore the place apart afterwards with their mindless mix of breakdowns, death growls and Family Guy samples.

Also, I saw Abigail Williams live and they were shit. Thankfully Suicide Silence tore the place apart afterwards with their mindless mix of breakdowns, death growls and Family Guy samples.

i'm friends with ken, who pretty much is (was?) abigail williams. he was going to replace someone in one of my old bands, but we broke up. :<

Is this topic about black metal or metal in general? Because fuck black metal and it's makeup, axes, makeup, strangled chipmunk vocals, Scandinavian miserableness and makeup. And the axes. Also fuck the obsession with black leather. And the makeup. Also its pretentions of musical substance.

...said the guy who got made fun of for wearing a misery signals tee. :)

Do you seriously think that with my musical education I go to a Misery Signals show to stroke my beard and appreciate the quality of the writing? The beauty of metalcore is noone takes it seriously... it's a wonderfully predictable vehicle for attempting to kick eachother's heads off in as creative a manner as possible.

Plenty of metalheads would probably tell me most of the stuff I listen to isn't metal... apparently it's largely a combination of any two of the following: 'math noise grind mosh death metal tech core'.

Fuck this anyway, I'm off to listen to The Cure. Any topic about metal is inevitably going to lead to a large amount of ridiculous factionalised arguments in which the thrash fans bitch about the very existence of the Deftones, the black metal fans rant about all this hardcore nonsense polluting their mascara, the Cathedral fans hold a large argument over various strains of weed and some 14 year old turns up and starts talking about Dragonforce.

Someone post some good new black metal bands, I'm looking at you OMC. I haven't listened to any new stuff coming out of the scene other than Boris and Sunn 0))), which according to the OP is Black Metal, so other than that I've got nothing. I've got my OG black metal stuff and I need some new (baby) meat.

Boris and Sunn are black metal? News to me. Maybe the lack of synth strings and lack of makeup clad Norwegians going MEEEEYAAAARGH constantly was throwing me off.

How does Spektr rank in the black metal world? Every now and then the last Spektr cd comes on my iPod and my girflfriend gets so scared she hides under my bed.

Spektr is like girlfriend repellant, if you need some. She'll put up with Mastodon and High on Fire, may even like Slayer and Metallica, but Spektr is too far.

Fuck this anyway, I'm off to listen to The Cure. Any topic about metal is inevitably going to lead to a large amount of ridiculous factionalised arguments in which the thrash fans bitch about the very existence of the Deftones, the black metal fans rant about all this hardcore nonsense polluting their mascara, the Cathedral fans hold a large argument over various strains of weed and some 14 year old turns up and starts talking about Dragonforce.

...so how bout them dragonforce fellows?

Spektr is like girlfriend repellant, if you need some. She'll put up with Mastodon and High on Fire, may even like Slayer and Metallica, but Spektr is too far.

Don't think my girlfriend would be put off by raw heaviness considering the gigs she'll go with me to... at the point of tech grind she starts complaining about things being 'a bit needlessly heavy'.

I think I'd have to resort to some seriously embarassing stuff on the Cradle of Filth level of shit.

Don't think my girlfriend would be put off by raw heaviness considering the gigs she'll go with me to... at the point of tech grind she starts complaining about things being 'a bit needlessly heavy'.

I think I'd have to resort to some seriously embarassing stuff on the Cradle of Filth level of shit.

Yeah, my girlfriend isn't into the heavy stuff, which is fine becuase it also means she doesn't have any embarrassing tattoos or piercings. Once we were at a Big Business show, however, and she did admit it was "impressive."

Yeah, my girlfriend isn't into the heavy stuff, which is fine becuase it also means she doesn't have any embarrassing tattoos or piercings.

I think you're confusing 'girls with heavy taste in music' with 'girls with shit taste in music'. Most of the girls at gigs round here tend to lean on the hot side... and also on the 18 side, which I'm sure OMC would wholeheartedly approve of.

Dragonforce is freaking awesome, love the speed. One of my favorite is Opeth, really long songs, really nice. Children of Bodom. .hopesfall, I liked their guitar, but the vocals kinda overkill.

Damn, I miss Hopesfall being good. Hopefully the new CD will be a return to their old form.

Dragonforce is freaking awesome, love the speed.

Shame they can't actually play at that speed without fucking up. Dragonforce CDs must be some of the most overproduced shit on the market.

ran into the touring manager of Dragonforce on the Upper East Side. he saw the patch on my hat and was like "oh hey, I'm the touring manager of Dragonforce, don't believe me? here's my gold AMEX with 'Dragonforce Tour' stamped on it"

apparently they all enjoy beer, myspace, underage girls, guitar, and despise american television.

gosh I love NYC.

Well, yesterday I went to the Ephel Duath show, which was a fruity mix of the completely excellent and the completely dire. In reverse order of appearance:

Iceni

Brighton's self-professed 'only black metal band' plays their debut show. Imagine half an hour of blastbeats and tremelo picking, except that every band member is playing at a different tempo. Add Gollum on vocals and band members fulfilling every one of itsmeJT's cliches about them being fat ugly little shits who never leave you bedroom and you just about have Iceni. Also, it took me 15 minutes to realise the frontman wasn't wearing a mask and that he actually was a deformed ginger freak.

Bossk

Holy, holy shit. Probably the best (post)-metal act in the UK right now based on last night. 40 minutes, three seamlessly integrated songs switching from ambient to wall-of-sound to some serious fucking angry noise that makes Envy sound like a quiet walk in the park. In terms of performance these guys absolutely pissed all over Pelican's show a few weeks ago. Bonus points awarded for the giant sticks of incense and a drum kit wrapped in blue fairy lights.

Negura Bunget

Bloody France. Looks like Spinal Tap, sounds like black metal on acid. Points for attempthing to be different, but as far as musical ability is concerned they were pissed all over by...

Ephel Duath

The fact that more people turned out to see a two-bit black metal band than these guys hurts me in far too many ways... must have been no more than 40 people by the time they finally got onstage at about 10:45. Still, it was an absolute magical masterclass in jazz guitar, flanked by a crazy and ever so slightly creepy shouting Italian guy.