Selvage, set the record straight.

superslim

neil on hank dyeing.

bump for general reading--

Neilfuji is really really knowledgeable here! Real respect!

from myself I can add that in the modernized factories - not necesarilly Chinese - I had the pleasure of touring entire ISKO from Turkey plant, the process of dying is a little similar but more advanced too. The entire process is sped up significantly. The threads go thru the whole dying - drying process quite a few times as well - some of the most advanced up to 20, but e.g. drying is done by machines and takes a few minutes. Generally the whole dying process is done by one machine which at the beginning mixes up the indigo for the desired depth of colour. After that there is a long chain of dying, drying, dying, drying and so on. Depending on the order the big factories also use natural indigo but that is very rare. After the dying process the threads are being starched - this is why the raw jeans are so rigid and stiff.

Here is a pic of a few indigo dyed threads used for the warp:

img3256zz0.jpg

this is what it looks like after me wearing it on my wrist for about 3 months :)

img3257xl5.jpg

now for some of you interested, who were not lucky enough to get closer to the product here I would like to share some pics of my desk's art :) better than picasso painting - makes me more motivated. maybe one day i'll try to make a cuppa out of it :)))

this is natural indigo

img3251zi8.jpg

img3252ts9.jpg

once you have that you can crush it to:

img3253jl8.jpg

img3254hj3.jpg

and the final indigofera tinctoria - the one used for our beautiful jeans looks like the liquid in the jar

img3255kc9.jpg

• 2 years later...
Bloody hell. Drunken nostalgia-fest??

I miss superslim...

Don't tell anybody, but I am at work. Just between you and I.

Plus I didn't think a high brow conversation such as what was going on in the selfedge thread should interfere with the guerrilla marketing tactics.

• 12 years later...