Movies that Make You Tear Up

kauflust

There is a Greek film called "Landscape in the Mist" (Topio stin omichli) and it is without a doubt the most depressing film I have ever seen. It's about a brother and sister who run away to find their absent father whom they've never met.

In particular, there is this one scene in which the children are hitchhiking. At one point a truck driver who has picked them up pulls over for a rest and takes the sister to the back of the truck. You never see a thing. The entire action is obscured but you know exactly what is going on. I can't say anything else without ruining one of the most perfectly executed scenes I've ever seen. It's gut wrenching and will leave you pretty messed up for a couple days.

Those of you with an interest in storytelling or film-making might consider checking it out. Just be advised you're gonna hate yourself and this entire world for a while. If you don't like having your life ruined then stay clear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Magnolia

Heat

Bladerunner (see below)

2001: A Space Odyssey (below)

2001 might not be so obvious, but I find it very moving when given a little context. Kubrick and his daughter were estranged near the end of his life, and he died before any chance of them reconciling. I guess they hadn't spoken for like a decade, or something. That he cast her in this seminal film, which will be around long after we're all dead, is like a living testament to a fathers love for his daughter. Even the scene is sad. Her smile at the end...

Edited by playdisonlyatnight

• 3 weeks later...

So glad other people mentioned Click so I don't feel like such a pussy.

The end of The Notebook when James Garner sees his wife slip back into dementia. Always was sad, but after seeing my Mom cope with my Dad's progressive slip into the same state it's devastating to watch. Even now it gets to me.

The end of Warrior where Joel Edgerton breaks Tom Hardy's shoulder, then jumps in to protect him.

• 4 months later...