supertalk6
soepom

what are you eating today?

Anyone have any idea on how to make a green tea reduction/sauce for duck?

I had it at Atera. The menu just list the dish as "Duck, Green Tea, Cucurbita Morschata"

A cook at work suggested making a mother sauce like a veloute or bechamel, steeping green tea in it, blitzing it with a little bit of parsley for color then pushing it through a sieve.

From what I remember of the sauce though, it was fairly liquid and the texture didn't really suggest the usage of flour or cream.

Thanks.

So I could be totally off but something I've done baking a lot is steeping a light green tea in butter. I'd say your fellow cook has the right idea, just try and figure out what the base of the sauce is and then try steeping green tea in it for various times to decide the strength your looking for, then adjust the base sauce from there. 

I had it at Atera. The menu just list the dish as "Duck, Green Tea, Cucurbita Morschata"

A cook at work suggested making a mother sauce like a veloute or bechamel, steeping green tea in it, blitzing it with a little bit of parsley for color then pushing it through a sieve.

From what I remember of the sauce though, it was fairly liquid and the texture didn't really suggest the usage of flour or cream.

Thanks.

Seems like something that could be made with matcha instead of steeping any tea leaves

Nordic cuisine

Burnt salmon w/ apple, fennel and nýr

mQujpXP.jpg?1'

Braised lamb tarte w/ cherries and tarragon

R28stON.jpg?1

Beef tartare w/ confitured eggyolks and ramson

JKxLERS.jpg?1

Ice cream on browned butter, with blackberries and almond cake

EsTvVy0.jpg?2

When we make purees at work we use a vitamix and it works fine, especially since the vegetables are usually warm as is.

what I've heard/experience that if a vitamix runs for 3+ mins it heats up the contents of the container.

I just bought the Relae cookbook and the vast majority of the time when it requires something to blended it calls for a Thermomix, was just wondering if someone can confirm that either one works since it takes very little time to puree something smooth anyways. I know the thermomix doesn't heat up when blending since I've ran it for like 8 minutes straight before

ty

No problem

The entire cookbook is fantastic, read through most of it at Kinokuniya - just a shame my living situation means I can't really try cooking 95% of the dishes

food court food lol

beef + beef ball + shrimp wonton noodle

fried chicken + mapo tofu + veggies + rice

16814171611_a82ec785a9_c.jpg

jVtdkXl.jpg

Spicy Wafu ramen @ Snappy Ramen, Boston

IMO this place sucks ass. Tonkotsu flavor was completely overwhelmed by the spice, and tonkotsu isn't exactly a subtle flavor. Pork belly was dry and overcooked. 

gSFoKPe.jpg

Feeling homesick so made 滷肉飯 with shallots and pickled mustard greens

Double @ Burger Project

dc76rkF.jpg?1

Double Truffe @ Mister Gee's Burger Truck

9TGOiRN.jpg?1

Double Ume burger @ Ume Burger pop-up

SAplZ01.jpg?1

Edited by pas de deux

^ Wagyu mince sauce on that ume is 10/10. Chips and the hour long queue were disappointing but

11055769_648481025282237_2102033946_n.jp

Where you the dude in the 2015 huaraches? And yeah, the burger was great, a bit overpriced (As were the fries considering the portion) but it was definitely worth going

nah I was wearing nike sockdarts. I got a tonkatsu burger as well but I don't rate it very highly - felt like a chore to eat.

nah I was wearing nike sockdarts. I got a tonkatsu burger as well but I don't rate it very highly - felt like a chore to eat.

blue ones, w/ a bbs tee?

11000145_10152619183172027_1226180648574

10522556_10152619182947027_5002045953869

1939543_10152619183042027_77684684738007

19500_792255817533831_557238353662327496

11013579_10152631589682027_7783785671826

1002533_10152659479712027_28636604769093

11021121_10152631589877027_3764584736100

11071517_10152659479892027_5142595690396

Edited by SSchadenfreude

Thanks.

I know this is way late, but if you want a very pure green tea flavor, I'd go with straight matcha and sheer in some xanthan for body. That way you don't get the fat from an oil or fat emulsion...and I assume you wouldn't want the floury flavors from a roux-thickened sauce, anyway. Not sure how the particles from the matcha would react...the xanthan could stabilize the suspension, or it could do something weird and bad—not sure, but a hydrocolloid would be what I'd try first. 

When we make purees at work we use a vitamix and it works fine, especially since the vegetables are usually warm as is.

what I've heard/experience that if a vitamix runs for 3+ mins it heats up the contents of the container.

I just bought the Relae cookbook and the vast majority of the time when it requires something to blended it calls for a Thermomix, was just wondering if someone can confirm that either one works since it takes very little time to puree something smooth anyways. I know the thermomix doesn't heat up when blending since I've ran it for like 8 minutes straight before

Vitapreps start heating up the contents pretty quickly in my experience. I'm not familar with the Thermomix—I thought it was just for cooking things while blending, but can it also keep things cool?

made quiches

PASTRY:

- 2 pillsbury crescent rolls lol

FILLING:

- 1 cup of cooked ham diced

- some kale

- 1 medium onion

- 4 eggs

- 1 cup of 35% cream

- shred some cheese

- salt + pepper + etc.

INSTRUCTIONS:

- fry up onion and kale

- mix up the rest of ingredients

- 375 F for 30-40 min

perfectly makes 8 servings @ 4 3/8 inch (~11cm) diameter tins

16807197669_cc4e55aa24_c.jpg

Edited by _ironman

am I crazy, or does this recipe you guys are talking about (http://imgur.com/wa9aBED,K2lAwNq#0) not even tell you what to do with the tea?

The second image (white tea broth) specifies at which point you steep the tea. The first one doesn't but I'd assume it'd be after you reduce the chicken stock.

and thanks, I'm gonna try that