what are you eating today?

soepom

wrote some shit about cooking these things here: http://tongueandtooth.tumblr.com/

I'm not ashamed to say that I've followed your blog for a year or so now, and I deeply appreciate the thought and complexity that goes into your dishes. I cook a lot for myself and friends, but the sheer thoughtfulness and beauty in simplicity I see on your blog inspires me to appreciate the individuality of ingredients, and try and approximate what I see you doing. 

Please write more about technique and often, why you throw the things you do together. Finally, thank you for writing and exhibiting your talents. 

A new restaurant opened in town called Your Local. The PR release is the usual "seasonal ingredients, rotating daily menu" that we've all heard before, specially in this Bourdanian day and age.

It is though probably the first ones to deliver, and I'm nothing but glad to be proven wrong. Picked this out of their Saturday's brunch menu—baked pork (chorizo) and beans, rocket on toast. 

tumblr_n31gk8DZmi1r1d19oo1_500.jpg

Must have been back to to this restaurant (B&T) at least three times in the last two weeks. The food is a lot closer to what you'd see in Baja than the usual cheese sauce smothered TexMex burritos. (I'm assuming this by way of how they like to bread and fry their fish.) 

Other than being the only place in the country that can sate ones tostada craving, they also serve a monster Korean-riff on tacos Al Pastor. Lots of hot and cold interplay, and lots of whatever the hell umami is supposed to taste like, imho.

tumblr_n33c01y4Rx1r1d19oo1_500.jpg

Continued attempts at baking have sort of inadvertently spawned this small micro-business that I decided to put a bit more effort into. Basically been supplying a coffee shop and a brewery with pastries, i.e. my version of the Momofuku Compost, and Keller Double Chocolate.

tumblr_n354iyw6A51r1d19oo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n3dzdh6VN01r1d19oo1_500.jpg

Slipped back into my old habits and went full ramen over the last week. In spite of the Nagi open in town, which seems to be everyone's new favorite, there's just too much subtlety in Yushoken's bowls to ignore.

I do my best to leave the smoked belly alone for the duration of the meal. The soup stays warm enough that the smoked barbecue / caramel flavor starts to spread to the immediate area around it. 

tumblr_n38c0a1eMM1r1d19oo1_500.jpg

Edited by WillKhitie

I'm not ashamed to say that I've followed your blog for a year or so now, and I deeply appreciate the thought and complexity that goes into your dishes. I cook a lot for myself and friends, but the sheer thoughtfulness and beauty in simplicity I see on your blog inspires me to appreciate the individuality of ingredients, and try and approximate what I see you doing.

Please write more about technique and often, why you throw the things you do together. Finally, thank you for writing and exhibiting your talents.

Really touched and honored by this, man. I'm glad you find some value in it, and it feels good to be cooking for more than myself and my friends in some way.

I'm hoping to get more consistent with thought-out (or at least thoughtful) posts in the near future. Been dealing with some personal shit, but feeling better lately and very ready to get some good stuff going.

And here's the last thing I cooked. Quick weeknight dinner. Wish the scallops were better quality.

2hwlhud.jpg

scallops, kumato tomatoes (and tomato "strawberries"), zucchini, fried and raw basil, mustard oil

Edited by youkinorn2

Congee Queen afternoon tea

stir-fried turnip cake with shrimp + chicken

bbq roast duck noodle soup

shrimp dumpling egg noodle soup

red bean + ice cream drink x2 + 1 lemon tea to go

13728941795_0ae4f47c14_c.jpg

Edited by _ironman

Nordic cuisine, so i don't know the English names for everything.

Oyster natural (my first one)

n96M13p.jpg

Norwegian lobster w/ bbq mayo, caviar etc.

kT68GzA.jpg?1

•  
  • Skate, asparagus & horseradish
  •  
  • CcL9KzB.jpg
  • Zander, cauliflower & "heart" clams

Qec15xh.jpg

• Veal, carrot & söl

KhNHaDE.jpg