what are you eating today?

soepom

anyways. as always, mum pulls off a literally beautiful meal:

wayet0617ahq2.jpg

wayet0617bbr6.jpg

wayet0617cse9.jpg

dragonfly motif sushi roll, and shrimp wanton in clear broth. (bamboo leaves from the garden, also lovingly cultivated by mum)

delicate tastes, crisp clean colours and refined presentational aesthetics.

i know you've been secretly reading this thread mummy - happy father's day, to the woman who played the roles of both mother and father to me. i could never thank you enough.

Wow. Not only does that food look delicious, but it is extremely pleasing to the eye.

ate at a chinese place next to my house, all of this for 23 bucks. you could see my reflection from the glass in the fourth pic lol.

this chinese chick was with this old man, as in pushing 60 old, who was in the bathroom. it was surreal when she said "hello" to the rest of the table.

gfdg003.jpg

cream of corn and cod on rice... i miss this. :(

typographiend and mike - food's lookin sexy!

heh Originatek, wait till you see what i had to drink for supper this evening.... will post picture in another message. too many pics today...

it's the duan wu jie dumpling/dragon boat festival soon.

for those who've never heard of the festival - it's to commemorate some patriotic chinese poet called qu yuan from hundreds and hundreds of years ago, who threw himself into the river because he couldn't bear to see his kingdom brought to ruin by evil court officials. fishermen who heard about his drowning set sail to search for his body, and rice dumplings were thrown into the river in the vain hope that the fish would consume the dumplings instead of the poet's cadaver.

anyways. so here's what that humble rice dumpling has evolved to today:

565342662_007e26bc40.jpg

565342696_08098a40d3.jpg

565342744_ef4681bb15.jpg

565342806_4f6945ab08.jpg

it's nice to catch my mum-in-action. ingredients include: glutinous rice, chestnuts, lean pork, dried shrimp, salted egg yolk

the final product:

565342906_0089d82e65.jpg

desert was mocha jelly:

565342928_0ce384c430.jpg

565427160_c1ae8ab98c.jpg

alright. so in this country you can actually get goji berries in your drink as well - iced goji berry tea. tasted pretty alright, but as usual, i didn't eat the actual berries.

565427192_3a82c02d4e.jpg

you know how sometimes you crave some crappy food. well, this fit the bill - chee cheong fun (rice noodle roll) with "sunset egg" (i thought it oughta be sunny side up... but nevermind) and luncheon meat. reminds me of primary school canteen food. nice.

565427278_9409413918.jpg

my friends had mango and pomelo on shaved ice. i've tried it and it's refreshingly yummy.

passant the chocolate kitty cracker is so cute! do they come in other animal shapes too?

yes they do! they're just like regular animal crackers, but better~

though i would trade them any day for the amazing stuff you post. :D

beef noodle, noodle beef... (more broth added later)

0022.jpg

heh passant, why don't you mail me some animal crackers, and i'll send you a rice dumpling - you might need to reheat it a little before consuming though... beef noodle is nice anyways.

aha! eleven, it looks like everyone is joining in on the whole gou qi zi/ goji berry/ wolfberry diet!

lunch at home:

wayet0619aho4.jpg

shisamo (pregnant fish) with wasabi mayonnaise, chawan mushi, cold tofu with kelp and floral rice cakes

mum: actually chawan mushi is pretty healthy, it's only one egg for our two portions here

me: ya, but what about the tobiko on top of the chawan mushi? and the pregnant fish? we're talking about thousands of eggs ma...

dinner - ee i ee i oh:

wayet0619byv9.jpg

i love the good ol' double cheeseburger. minute. and i love soggy fries. really!

Guest jmatsu

mis, i'm sure that snack isn't so bad, but when i first opened the thread i was like:

"waiter...pardon me, but there seems to be a big piece of poo in my cereal."

mis - i've been eating so much better because i've been eating home more.

my mum's been on a roll. she's thrilled that i'm photographing her food 'cos she gets to document her masterpieces. it's ostensibly a win-win situation... but don't we know it's easier to take a photo than cook up a storm. *diabolical laughter*

seriously though, i've been brought up to appreciate whatever food that's been put before me. i try not to leave any leftovers whatever it is i'm eating. it's just out of respect for the work that's gone in to preparing the food.

anyways lunch today:

wayet0620nu9.jpg

steamed crab (man it was big) on glutinous rice, and salmon sashimi roll with mayo and tobiko, red dates tea

Guest jmatsu
mis - i've been eating so much better because i've been eating home more.

my mum's been on a roll. she's thrilled that i'm photographing her food 'cos she gets to document her masterpieces. it's ostensibly a win-win situation... but don't we know it's easier to take a photo than cook up a storm. *diabolical laughter*

anyways lunch today:

wayet0620nu9.jpg

steamed crab (man it was big) on glutinous rice, and salmon sashimi roll with mayo and tobiko, red dates tea

do you still live at home? when you decide to leave the nest, instead of putting your mother into a nursing/retirement home, would it be possible to hire her as my live-in cook?