soepom

nathans_01.jpg

nathans_02.jpg

2 Hot Dogs w/ sauerkraut and red onions

1 shriveled overfried corn dog

Garlic fries

XXXL lemonade (not shown)

Coney Island steez

Makes me think of and miss Gray's Papaya. Cheap and good, man. Cheap and good...

Makes me think of and miss Gray's Papaya. Cheap and good, man. Cheap and good...

yeeeap. Gray's Papaya. I remember when I was studying in jersey...use to hit up manhattan on the weekends, and gray's was always one of those stops that you just had to make. damn i miss it.

Damn those dumplings look good! Might head over to Joe's Shanghai in Chinatown to eat a couple dozen tmrw!!

When I was in New York my friends took me there. We had two orders of the regular pork and two orders of the crab between four people. The total was somewhere under $18, yet it was one of the best meals I had in NY. Damn, I love those things!

breakfast - ice cream

went out for a gigantic feed of yum cha. felt sick for the next 6 hours.

dinner - chicken parmigiana...salad.

what the fuck is it with dim sum? i like it in theory, as i would with all small portions of snackable foods, but i usually have mediocre or bad experiences with it.

foodrz7.jpg

NACHOS. this is what ima gonna eet when i return to the states. :D

When I was in New York my friends took me there. We had two orders of the regular pork and two orders of the crab between four people. The total was somewhere under $18, yet it was one of the best meals I had in NY. Damn, I love those things!

The (not so) secret spots in chinatown are 5 for $1... I should take a pic next time... had a 25 piece set and a water for $6... droooooooooolz.

Damn this really makes me crave for some good dogs now. And the fries...aw man...

Oh man thats not catsup on a hotdog is it? Its gotta be a char dog from the Wieners Circle Chicago and it would be MUSTARD, relish, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, celery salt and HOT SPORT PEPPERS. NO CATSUP!

Shiiitttt. Definitely take a photo.

Do these secret spots require a secret handshake?

No, but I tried speaking Canto to those bastids and they spit back out some mainland tongues. I try though... I try.

Also... interesting how it's fried dumpling in the East Coast, and pot sticker on the West... any other different names?

No, but I tried speaking Canto to those bastids and they spit back out some mainland tongues. I try though... I try.

Also... interesting how it's fried dumpling in the East Coast, and pot sticker on the West... any other different names?

Those crazy mainlanders. But it would make sense, since dumplings are more of a northern thing...

In the Midwest it's always called pot stickers although sometimes you find various romanizations of gao zi. I've come across gyoza in a Chinesey restaurant, too. wtf?

wtf a straw? amatuers...

3206168-Nanxiang_Mantou_Dian-Shanghai.jpg

Yeah... gyoza. That's the usual name for it in fusion restaurants when its in their appetizers. Much more diminutive... these babies are plump and the dough isn't exactly all the way fried so it has some stickiness to it.

There are a handful of them with some form of "dumpling" in the name... tasty dumpling... fried dumpling... dumpling dumpling. They're all $1 for 5 pork x chive--among a plethora of other choices. They also have hot and sour soup for $1 and milk tea (so-so at best) for $0.50.

Either way, you can stuff your face for cheap. Probably not best to gorge on that too often, but you know, a steal is a steal. It just gives me an excuse to weasel my way into Chinatown every week or so...

Yeah... gyoza. That's the usual name for it in fusion restaurants when its in their appetizers. Much more diminutive... these babies are plump and the dough isn't exactly all the way fried so it has some stickiness to it.

There are a handful of them with some form of "dumpling" in the name... tasty dumpling... fried dumpling... dumpling dumpling. They're all $1 for 5 pork x chive--among a plethora of other choices. They also have hot and sour soup for $1 and milk tea (so-so at best) for $0.50.

Either way, you can stuff your face for cheap. Probably not best to gorge on that too often, but you know, a steal is a steal. It just gives me an excuse to weasel my way into Chinatown every week or so...

I think using "gyoza" lends a Japanesey - hence classier - air? Most people associate Chinese food with low expectations. Depressing as fuck.

Milk tea is good but I prefer cold lemon tea. There's something about squashing up the lemon on your own.

I've had some really good dumplings in the past but I can't remember now. It was also a type of Shanghainese dumpling filled with greens and pork, like every other dumpling, but it was tasty.

How is everything so damn cheap? Must really be competitive...

fucked up rations for lunch today

picture0284ra0.jpg

gruel with mixed vegetables and couple of drumsticks

complete with strand of human hair

dinner was a lot better, went bavarian tonight

wayet24ax6.jpg

half litre of paulaner munchen weissbier

gegrillte schweinshaxe (grilled pork knuckle) with sauerkraut and gherkins and potato salad

for dessert

wayet24dessertrv0.jpg

kaiserschmarrn (caramelised pancake)

I've had some really good dumplings in the past but I can't remember now. It was also a type of Shanghainese dumpling filled with greens and pork, like every other dumpling, but it was tasty.

How is everything so damn cheap? Must really be competitive...

No idea... they just keep on keepin' I guess. There are so many redundant spots in Chinatown, I'm sure they're doing alright--at least enough to make a living and keep the business going.

Shanghainese dumplings? Siu Loung Bow (excuse my butchered Engrish spelling... shot in the dark here)? They're in a rounder stickier bun placed on cabbage leaves and dipped in vineagar? If that's what it is... those are the best... :)

No idea... they just keep on keepin' I guess. There are so many redundant spots in Chinatown, I'm sure they're doing alright--at least enough to make a living and keep the business going.

Shanghainese dumplings? Siu Loung Bow (excuse my butchered Engrish spelling... shot in the dark here)? They're in a rounder stickier bun placed on cabbage leaves and dipped in vineagar? If that's what it is... those are the best... :)

I know what you mean: xiao long bao (those mainlanders again). Ugh, I could eat a boat load. It's soup! It's a dumpling! IT'S BOTH.

The place I had these particular dumplings - not the soup ones - was called Shanghai Restaurant or something, so I just assumed they were Shanghainese.

fucked up rations for lunch today

picture0284ra0.jpg

gruel with mixed vegetables and couple of drumsticks

complete with strand of human hair

at least its fresh rations. not combat. although the new combat rations are fucking tasty. and im guessing you had a nights off or some shit. man... i miss fresh rations. something about not having had it in awhile.

Lunch: cheap food court japanese bento with chicken karaage and unagi (eel)...

P1020855.jpg

Dessert: "guiltless Mango cheesecake"

P1020857.jpg

Dinner: (inspired by Thomas Highstreet's) Corrokke & beer

P1020865.jpg

I can't cook for shit so had to rely on store-bought ones... *sulk*

Then the de rigeur after-dinner coffee and snacks.

P1020866.jpg

Bananarilla muffin and cinnamon roll on the plate. "Larb" flavoured Glico Pretz given by the boyfriend.

Yeah, I had no idea wtf "Larb" was either... but it tastes like tomyam on pretzels (both of which I love), so props to him... :)

I know what you mean: xiao long bao (those mainlanders again). Ugh, I could eat a boat load. It's soup! It's a dumpling! IT'S BOTH.

The place I had these particular dumplings - not the soup ones - was called Shanghai Restaurant or something, so I just assumed they were Shanghainese.

Here's a shitty snap from 30 minutes ago of the ten dumplings I just devoured for two dollars.

0402071301fd3.jpg

Here's a shitty snap from 30 minutes ago of the ten dumplings I just devoured for two dollars.

0402071301fd3.jpg

i bet they would have tasted even better if linda were eating them with you. :D

i was going to reply to that, but i guess the mods finally deleted the thread(s).

Sharks fin soup w/ pizza for dinner

haha that sounds like a really strange combination - what kinda pizza was it, and did it work well with the sharksfin?

breakfast today - old skool wanton mee

picture0285xi0.jpg

assorted fried things (tofu, stuffed tau pok, fishballs) and old skool coffee

picture0286is7.jpg

FUCK. I definitely shouldn't have looked at this thread directly before bedtime. My stomach is growling. Anyways, today I had a turkey club and two egg creams from Bubby's (best restaurant ever? well, definitely close), pancakes, scrambled eggs, and a third egg cream I made myself.

haha that sounds like a really strange combination - what kinda pizza was it, and did it work well with the sharksfin?

Pizza was what I originally had for myself to eat. Sharksfin was left for me by the parents. And no, it didn't work well together. Had to down a load of water to wash out the taste of pizza before the sharksfin. Thick and long as hell, like noodles!