what are you eating today?

soepom

^ haha seriously my mum is abit of a fanatic when it comes to cooking. she's quite an afficionado, and because we are hardly ever home for meals, when we are, she makes it a real event. it's almost embarassing how good the food is.

but i'm so proud of her. she takes real pride in coming up with original recipes of her own. i am nowhere near her standard in cooking, and i can only hope someday i'll manage something half as good as what she's done.

im guessing you're one of those singaporean families where all the kids get packed off to boarding schools etc? either that or for uni and stuff. ive never seen anyone eat that well at home before. i'd be lucky if my mom cooked eggs and toast for me. i think she can do oyster sauce veggies. ends there though.

i'm better cook than my mom, if you can believe. 2 yrs throughout NS and now living alone for uni. cant be eating instant noodles or stir fry everyday.

edit: ROYCE chocolates in your ice cream? man soepom. you sure know how to live it up.

soepom

SO unexpected with the swedish tea in the last pic! I´ve seen all the fancy exotic stuff you eat, which I´ve never eaten myself and felt like a very boring european, but with swedish tea, I feel alright again:)

yeah likewise! with that standard of food, i was thinking she'd top it off with a bottle of dom perignon. i didnt even know they produced tea in switzerland. at least not commercially.

Thomas> So you're a vegetarian because you feel sorry for the animal, or because you think that meat is dirty?

err.. bit of both.. i originally became vege simply because i didnt wanna put some skanky animal in my mouth that was probably downed anyway for a couple days before it reached my plate.. that led me to the obvious realisation that humans treat all other living creatures like shit (including others of our very own [human] race no less)..

i just dont see any point in eating meat, i dont need it, and i certainly dont need it enough to end another life just to satisfy it.

thats it really i guess..

@ bobo i didnt mean 'hard' as in its hard to be vege with temptation of meat, far from it, i dont see any temptation atall. i meant just simply eating out, dinner parties etc. but most my friends are curtious enough to cook only vegetarian stuff when they know ill be there.. perhaps a bit too polite, but im sure greatfull :)

:)

t

@ bobo i didnt mean 'hard' as in its hard to be vege with temptation of meat, far from it, i dont see any temptation atall. i meant just simply eating out, dinner parties etc. but most my friends are curtious enough to cook only vegetarian stuff when they know ill be there.. perhaps a bit too polite, but im sure greatfull :)

:)

t

yea, I got that :) My comments about temptations to eat meat where directed to all the meat eaters in the thread who just don´t get how one not can eat meat.

soepom

SO unexpected with the swedish tea in the last pic! I´ve seen all the fancy exotic stuff you eat, which I´ve never eaten myself and felt like a very boring european, but with swedish tea, I feel alright again:)

heh superbobo we all really love that kobbs tea - we've been rationing it out and drinking it really slowly only on special occasions! i brought that 1 packet of tea back home from my trip to stockholm in august last year... and to keep it fresh, my mum has divided them up into little ziplocked packets so that they'll last longer. really like drinking gold.

kobbs and kopparberg pear cider are my favourite drinks in the world! the funny thing is that they sell the pear cider at the Ikea in singapore, whereas in sweden you can only get alcohol at systembolaget!

Yes. Soepom your mum even takes time to make it presentable, she needs to come on sufu so I can +rep her.

haha yeah just today we were discussing over lunch that i've already got a friend who calls herself soepom's sl*t, and all i need now is for my mum to log on as soepom's mum. i'll bet she'll become a superepuslut in no time. lol.

im guessing you're one of those singaporean families where all the kids get packed off to boarding schools etc? either that or for uni and stuff. ive never seen anyone eat that well at home before. i'd be lucky if my mom cooked eggs and toast for me. i think she can do oyster sauce veggies. ends there though.

i'm better cook than my mom, if you can believe. 2 yrs throughout NS and now living alone for uni. cant be eating instant noodles or stir fry everyday.

edit: ROYCE chocolates in your ice cream? man soepom. you sure know how to live it up.

haha, no lah. my mum really really loves to cook, and she's quite the perfectionist, that's why the meals are so outrageously fancy. not that i'm complaining of course! we don't eat like that all the time either. it's just that these few days i happen to be home a little more and she's less busy at work, hence the cookouts. plus i think me posting the pics on sufu has become somewhat an incentive for her to make meals more happening so she can be 'shown off' here. wheee. hurray for sufu.

and the Royce chocs - they were given as a gift and were forgotten and expiring soon, so figured we'll polish em off with the ice cream. again credits all to my mum.

props to you for cooking your own meals and shit through NS and uni. I didn't learn to cook till I left school.

you are aware that Sweden and Switzerland is two completly different countries, right?

fuck me dead. im such a dumb bastard. i cant believe that slipped my mind. oh well, i havent slept in almost 48hrs now. let me off this time and attribute it to being sleepy? LOL

Yes. Soepom your mum even takes time to make it presentable, she needs to come on sufu so I can +rep her.

agreed. what i'd give for a meal like that. i wish my mom was like that.

haha, no lah. my mum really really loves to cook, and she's quite the perfectionist, that's why the meals are so outrageously fancy. not that i'm complaining of course! we don't eat like that all the time either. it's just that these few days i happen to be home a little more and she's less busy at work, hence the cookouts. plus i think me posting the pics on sufu has become somewhat an incentive for her to make meals more happening so she can be 'shown off' here. wheee. hurray for sufu.

and the Royce chocs - they were given as a gift and were forgotten and expiring soon, so figured we'll polish em off with the ice cream. again credits all to my mum.

props to you for cooking your own meals and shit through NS and uni. I didn't learn to cook till I left school.

at least your mom can show off! when i used to live in singapore, it was all about maids and stuff. mom never cooked, both working parents blah blah boohoo maid cooked all our meals.

royce chocs are the shizz. your moms a genius for thinking off that. i'd just gobble down the chocs with my ass plonked in front of the tv. or while reading SuFu xP

learning to cook my own meals was more a case of necessity than because i wanted to. although i did turn it around positively and thought to myself that one day, on the off chance that i have a gorgeous jarah mariano lookalike to my house for dinner, i'd sure like to impress her.

I think it'd be cute if you had the whole fam/gang on superfuture. Most stylish family on the 'net... and well fed.

haha yeah just today we were discussing over lunch that i've already got a friend who calls herself soepom's sl*t, and all i need now is for my mum to log on as soepom's mum. i'll bet she'll become a superepuslut in no time. lol.

Le French Diner (my secret spot) w/ Dryice... I'm doing collabos too now soepom/valhalla!

minho_lefrench_01.jpg

minho_lefrench_02.jpg

minho_lefrench_03.jpg

minho_lefrench_04.jpg

minho_lefrench_05.jpg

Grand Mocha

Skull

L'escargot

My shitty pic of a 'place d'italie', which is a proscuitto/mozzerella/pesto sandwich with chips/fries

Dryice's quiche des epinards with goat cheese and mesclun salad

at least your mom can show off! when i used to live in singapore, it was all about maids and stuff. mom never cooked, both working parents blah blah boohoo maid cooked all our meals.

learning to cook my own meals was more a case of necessity than because i wanted to. although i did turn it around positively and thought to myself that one day, on the off chance that i have a gorgeous jarah mariano lookalike to my house for dinner, i'd sure like to impress her.

I hear you man, I think we're in the same boat.My maid used to do all the cooking, mum never had time to cook. I guess the difference is you had to go overseas before you started cooking, I picked up baking ages ago to impress a girl and I got addicted to cooking. But since coming overseas Ive just been fucking lazy. Preparing a meal, cooking the meal, cleaning up is just too fucking time consuming.

Preparing a meal, cooking the meal, cleaning up is just too fucking time consuming.

All the meals I've been posting, except for this most recent one, were so time consuming that without any motivation I wouldn't be assed to put so much effort.

This thread is keeping my motivated though. Sharing what I'm learning to make kind of keeps it fun and gives me some reason not to just eat out all the time. That, and it's very therapeutic and has taught me to savor my food--I'm so skinny and such a monster at the dinner table that I devour meals like a vacuum cleaner. :o

I actually got slightly motivated by this thread but Im having my finals next week, I'll probably do some proper cooking in summer. I hear you about devouring food man, I eat so fast my friends think its unhealthy.

Anyone know of any good websites for meals that are not too time consuming, and use fairly basic ingredients? I personally like Jamie Oliver

http://www.geocities.com/nakedcheffan

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/

I hear you man, I think we're in the same boat.My maid used to do all the cooking, mum never had time to cook. I guess the difference is you had to go overseas before you started cooking, I picked up baking ages ago to impress a girl and I got addicted to cooking. But since coming overseas Ive just been fucking lazy. Preparing a meal, cooking the meal, cleaning up is just too fucking time consuming.

hell yeah man... i picked up cooking just coz i couldnt afford to drop 15 on a meal every single time. uni days are tough man. although the initial cost is a shitload more, what with buying pots and pans, condiments, sauces etc.

but i totally understand what you mean about the cleaning up. especially now that im cooking for one person, using all that stuff just seems like so much hassle when i can just grab takeaway. but its either eat out every meal and do no shopping, or cook at home and managed to get a new item every two weeks or so. you know which one i'd pick :P

wish i was still at home with parents to cook for me. or at least, to pay for someone to cook for me lol.

All the meals I've been posting, except for this most recent one, were so time consuming that without any motivation I wouldn't be assed to put so much effort.

This thread is keeping my motivated though. Sharing what I'm learning to make kind of keeps it fun and gives me some reason not to just eat out all the time. That, and it's very therapeutic and has taught me to savor my food--I'm so skinny and such a monster at the dinner table that I devour meals like a vacuum cleaner. :o

true that. i was just wondering if you, valhalla could really be fucked cooking a meal like that every single time. i mean... damn! its nice and all, but with me, its all about grabbing meat, chucking it into a wok, stirfry that shit, sprinkle salt, throw some sauce in and pray for the best haha.

and cooking so many items a time = massive clean up after. i could NOT be bothered. thank god im not really picky with my food.

Yeah it was a mess... I should have photographed my prep station.

I am not a chef... and I suck at real life multi-tasking. Shit is flying everywhere and I'm going "fuck, it's been 10 minutes! fuck, gotta do the onions! fuck, where's my mitten?!??!!?!??!"

Would you follow up with caviar dreams?

My last meal: Quinoa, black beans, tofu and veggie stir fry, some chocolate and the wine I saw a nerveous middle aged guy buy a case of ahead of me in line. A whole case, it must be good!

haha...thats what alot of chef's do too, man. good shit here...i'll contribute when i cook at home next time.

some recent stuff. working too much to cook at home, but

homemade marghetti pizza, (buff mozz, homegrown basil, homemade crushed tomato/garlic sauce)

grilled ahi tuna steaks (rare, marinated in a lime vinaigrette) with mango cilantro salsa and brown rice

seared peppered filet mignons (marinated in soy sauce, dijon mustard, chile paste with garlic. seared med rare) with a mesclun salad and homemade ginger vinaigrette

all these are pretty easy ...and since they're light on the side dishes pretty easy to clean up too. wish i had pics to do them some justice.

that sounds really good! tuna steaks are the shit. and fillet mignon? woah... wish you had pictures.

yeah these are pretty easy to prepare because the whole deal is in the quality of the raw ingredients themselves. tuna should be left barely cooked or simply raw.

soepom's sl*t skål!!!

Helan går,

sjung hoppfaderallanlallanlej!

Helan går,

sjung hoppfaderallanlej.

Och den som inte helan tar,

han ej heller halvan får.

Helan går,

sjung hoppfaderallanlej!

superbobo will identify with this.

hej superbobo! just the swede i need! haha.

can you please tell us the meaning of the Helan går song?

deep down we're just svensk hura with a fetish for anything swedish.

hej superbobo! just the swede i need! haha.

can you please tell us the meaning of the Helan går song?

deep down we're just svensk hura with a fetish for anything swedish.

hahah

Its a kinda weird little song, as drinking songs often seem to be, but basiclly it refers to that you should drink the whole "shot" (of strong spice alchohol) in one time...no sipping. Hence "helan" -the whole. And the ones who can´t manage "Helan" can´t have "halvan" -the half shot, either... Something like that.

I found this easy-to-pronounce version for non-swedes (the swedish version isn´t about hell and gore though):

Hell and gore

Shun-gopp father Allan l'Allan lay

Hell and gore

Shun gopp father Allan lay

Oh, then some in the hell and tar

Hun aye hell, err, half and four (alt.: Honey hell...)

Hell and gore

Shun-gopp father Allan lay

lunch was a chicken and salad sandwich.

afternoon snack was a tub of strawberry yoghurt, piece of wholemeal bread with some pesto and tzatziki, and a double espresso.

dinner shall be a heart stew of beef with mushrooms, red wine and mashed taters.