what are you eating today?

soepom

When we make purees at work we use a vitamix and it works fine, especially since the vegetables are usually warm as is.

what I've heard/experience that if a vitamix runs for 3+ mins it heats up the contents of the container.

I just bought the Relae cookbook and the vast majority of the time when it requires something to blended it calls for a Thermomix, was just wondering if someone can confirm that either one works since it takes very little time to puree something smooth anyways. I know the thermomix doesn't heat up when blending since I've ran it for like 8 minutes straight before

jVtdkXl.jpg

Spicy Wafu ramen @ Snappy Ramen, Boston

IMO this place sucks ass. Tonkotsu flavor was completely overwhelmed by the spice, and tonkotsu isn't exactly a subtle flavor. Pork belly was dry and overcooked. 

gSFoKPe.jpg

Feeling homesick so made 滷肉飯 with shallots and pickled mustard greens

Anyone have any idea on how to make a green tea reduction/sauce for duck?

I had it at Atera. The menu just list the dish as "Duck, Green Tea, Cucurbita Morschata"

A cook at work suggested making a mother sauce like a veloute or bechamel, steeping green tea in it, blitzing it with a little bit of parsley for color then pushing it through a sieve.

From what I remember of the sauce though, it was fairly liquid and the texture didn't really suggest the usage of flour or cream.

Thanks.

I know this is way late, but if you want a very pure green tea flavor, I'd go with straight matcha and sheer in some xanthan for body. That way you don't get the fat from an oil or fat emulsion...and I assume you wouldn't want the floury flavors from a roux-thickened sauce, anyway. Not sure how the particles from the matcha would react...the xanthan could stabilize the suspension, or it could do something weird and bad—not sure, but a hydrocolloid would be what I'd try first. 

When we make purees at work we use a vitamix and it works fine, especially since the vegetables are usually warm as is.

what I've heard/experience that if a vitamix runs for 3+ mins it heats up the contents of the container.

I just bought the Relae cookbook and the vast majority of the time when it requires something to blended it calls for a Thermomix, was just wondering if someone can confirm that either one works since it takes very little time to puree something smooth anyways. I know the thermomix doesn't heat up when blending since I've ran it for like 8 minutes straight before

Vitapreps start heating up the contents pretty quickly in my experience. I'm not familar with the Thermomix—I thought it was just for cooking things while blending, but can it also keep things cool?

made quiches

PASTRY:

- 2 pillsbury crescent rolls lol

FILLING:

- 1 cup of cooked ham diced

- some kale

- 1 medium onion

- 4 eggs

- 1 cup of 35% cream

- shred some cheese

- salt + pepper + etc.

INSTRUCTIONS:

- fry up onion and kale

- mix up the rest of ingredients

- 375 F for 30-40 min

perfectly makes 8 servings @ 4 3/8 inch (~11cm) diameter tins

16807197669_cc4e55aa24_c.jpg

Edited by _ironman

am I crazy, or does this recipe you guys are talking about (http://imgur.com/wa9aBED,K2lAwNq#0) not even tell you what to do with the tea?

The second image (white tea broth) specifies at which point you steep the tea. The first one doesn't but I'd assume it'd be after you reduce the chicken stock.

and thanks, I'm gonna try that

A few things from the past couple weeks. Been traveling for work and working 12 hour days when I'm home, so haven't had a whole lot of time to be in the kitchen. In case you were wondering, food in Cape Town isn't excellent.

wkptdt.jpg

trout with preserved red mustard greens, peas, endive kimchee, celery, and cornbread (sort of like a savory spongecake, actually). Served this with a beurre monté made with an intense reduced texas bbq brisket stock instead of water, but poured it after I took the photo.

2uiek5v.jpg

I made biscuits and sausage gravy and soft scrambled eggs one morning for everyone at the editing house we've been working with the past couple weeks. Gravy is pink from smoked paprika and tobasco. Crispy bacon on top.

2ptcifs.jpg

Went morel hunting outside of Austin on Sunday. Found a handful. These are some on an omelette I made myself for breakfast this morning. Probably one of the most satisfying plates of food I've ever made.

Vitapreps start heating up the contents pretty quickly in my experience. I'm not familar with the Thermomix—I thought it was just for cooking things while blending, but can it also keep things cool?

Vitamix will heat things up through friction heat after a few minutes. Thermomix can go on (indefinitely?) without heating up. Was just curious mostly because through experience Vitamix will blitz a puree or powder something extremely quickly, making me wonder why the Relae book would call for a thermo for a blitz job