soepom

made own tonkatsu. turned out pretty perfect

not dried out and grey like i am used to from chinese owned japanese ayce

used this recipe http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/tonkatsu/

differences:

- used random chinese "spice salt" instead of black pepper + kosher salt

- froze them before frying

16170414257_28b08feb73_c.jpg

dunno what i'm going to deep fry next. probably oysters, but maybe fried durian. had that once at dimsum and i really liked it, even though i absolutely hate durian

Visited my girl in LA. Few highlights from the trip:

CoolHaus
Thai Iced Tea ice cream, peanut butter captain crunch cookies
PLx59F0.jpg

Son of a Gun:
Fried Chicken Sandwhich (so huge, so good)

uwjJKDK.jpg

uni, burrata, button mushroom, yuzue8fOXPA.jpg

Lobster Roll (so good, so small)

cALMVJR.jpg

Frozen Lime Yogurt, Graham Crumble, Toasted Meringue 

TULJCKp.jpg

Night + Market Song

Crispy Rice Salad with Fermented Pork Sausage

IY6bwHC.jpg

Gjelina

tomato confit, asiago, smoked mozzarella, lemon juice, olive oil, bottarga, topped with arugula

Cggqe2V.jpg

Animal (bad lighting for these)
jack rabbit larb, long beans, herbs, thai chili, crispy shallot

kWLjXrb.jpg

grilled quail, plum char-siu, yogurt, pomegranate, apple

sZoVVdr.jpg

Pho Cafe
Mushroom Pho (had probably 7 different varieties of mushrooms. Very aromatic and umami)
EZK67ax.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some shitty tumblr-compressed images of some food from the past couple months.

As always, more info and stuff at tongueandtooth.tumblr.com

tumblr_inline_njq8nvazlg1qzndsy.jpg

mesquite, mastic, and thyme smoked carrots with marrow bordelaise, cured egg yolk, hazelnuts, carrot tops

tumblr_inline_njq8omBPki1qzndsy.jpg

huitlacoche spoon bread with avocado, black trumpet mushrooms, black radish, egg, and blood orange and maple gastrique.

tumblr_inline_njq8q5vAXA1qzndsy.jpg

churros

tumblr_inline_nhnyr3dqYJ1qzndsy.jpg

citrus salad with watercress, idiazabal, walnuts, shallots, and molasses vinaigrette

Edited by youkinorn2

It'd be cool if you included more recipes/more in depth posts about the actual cooking process involved. As usual, great stuff

Recipes are tough for me since I'm usually cooking at home and sort of improvising, but I've been meaning to keep better track and start documenting stuff a bit better. I'll make my next post heavier on the technical information. Maybe try to do a whole meal where everything is weighed and recorded.

In the meantime, I suggest curing some egg yolks for anyone who is vaguely interested in preserving foods or shit that tastes awesome on pretty much everything. I basically follow the process in this link, but grind a handful of katsuobushi flakes up with the salt and sugar: http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/cured-egg-yolks

And a very genuine thanks for the kind words.

Recipes are tough for me since I'm usually cooking at home and sort of improvising, but I've been meaning to keep better track and start documenting stuff a bit better. I'll make my next post heavier on the technical information. Maybe try to do a whole meal where everything is weighed and recorded.

In the meantime, I suggest curing some egg yolks for anyone who is vaguely interested in preserving foods or shit that tastes awesome on pretty much everything. I basically follow the process in this link, but grind a handful of katsuobushi flakes up with the salt and sugar: http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/cured-egg-yolks

And a very genuine thanks for the kind words.

Not quite the same length of time, but the egg yolk link reminded me of this

• 2 weeks later...

sP8rQf4.jpg

how do you guys prepare your steak? I've been a salt + pepper + butter guy for a long time, but recently I've been experimenting with marinades and rubs. Lately I've been really enjoying using garlic and rosemary infused butter.

I use a Le Cruset grill pan for my steaks.  I typically get 1.5" strips and keep them cold until I'm ready to cook.  This allows me to get a better char while still leaving the center rare.  Bacon fat is my go to oil when cooking steaks.  Generous kosher salt and pepper for the seasoning.  5-7 mins on each side (high heat) depending on preference of rare to med rare. Works every time!

Anyone have any idea on how to make a green tea reduction/sauce for duck?

I had it at Atera. The menu just list the dish as "Duck, Green Tea, Cucurbita Morschata"

A cook at work suggested making a mother sauce like a veloute or bechamel, steeping green tea in it, blitzing it with a little bit of parsley for color then pushing it through a sieve.

From what I remember of the sauce though, it was fairly liquid and the texture didn't really suggest the usage of flour or cream.

Thanks.

So I could be totally off but something I've done baking a lot is steeping a light green tea in butter. I'd say your fellow cook has the right idea, just try and figure out what the base of the sauce is and then try steeping green tea in it for various times to decide the strength your looking for, then adjust the base sauce from there. 

Anyone have any idea on how to make a green tea reduction/sauce for duck?

I had it at Atera. The menu just list the dish as "Duck, Green Tea, Cucurbita Morschata"

A cook at work suggested making a mother sauce like a veloute or bechamel, steeping green tea in it, blitzing it with a little bit of parsley for color then pushing it through a sieve.

From what I remember of the sauce though, it was fairly liquid and the texture didn't really suggest the usage of flour or cream.

Thanks.

Seems like something that could be made with matcha instead of steeping any tea leaves

Nordic cuisine

Burnt salmon w/ apple, fennel and nýr

mQujpXP.jpg?1'

Braised lamb tarte w/ cherries and tarragon

R28stON.jpg?1

Beef tartare w/ confitured eggyolks and ramson

JKxLERS.jpg?1

Ice cream on browned butter, with blackberries and almond cake

EsTvVy0.jpg?2