what are you eating today?

soepom

Can we ban Arsenal from this thread?

Don't really get the hate for vegans, regardless of whether or not you agree with the health/environmental rationale frequently provided. In the same way as you can get a diverse range of flavours and textures from meat and fish products, there's also a branesploady diversity of fruit & vegetables to explore. Even when it comes to raw food, there's a surprising amount of coincidence between the techniques used in its preparation and the techniques found in molecular cooking. I like a sloppy burger as much as the next person but there's also something to be said for the surprising results you get when you have to re-think elements of food that have hung around out of tradition or convenience.

But: pushy vegans and fast food junkies alike are annoying.

34eul47.jpg

Chicken with roasted broccoli, zucchini, carrots, whole garlic cloves – all on mushroom oatmeal.

(Basically cooked steel cut oats like a risotto. Instead of water, I used the liquid from reconstituting a bunch of dried shiitakes. Chopped up some of the mushrooms and threw them in at the end. I loved it.)

made eggs benedict on ciabatta toasts for breakfast/lunch this morning.

5543927625_393c5ddc2b_b.jpg

oh sweet rich cholesterol..

Edit: need more attractive plates...

Don't really get the hate for vegans, regardless of whether or not you agree with the health/environmental rationale frequently provided. In the same way as you can get a diverse range of flavours and textures from meat and fish products, there's also a branesploady diversity of fruit & vegetables to explore. Even when it comes to raw food, there's a surprising amount of coincidence between the techniques used in its preparation and the techniques found in molecular cooking. I like a sloppy burger as much as the next person but there's also something to be said for the surprising results you get when you have to re-think elements of food that have hung around out of tradition or convenience.

But: pushy vegans and fast food junkies alike are annoying.

i don't hate vegans at all, but i just can't respect their opinions on food when they entirely shutter themselves off from, basically, the main thing that has sustained humans for the entirety of our existence. i have a lot of veg/vegan friends and eat that way pretty frequently, and it can be great, but how can i really trust you on food if you refuse to eat a rack of ribs, or prosciutto, or a fucking egg? i dunno, i'm not bitter about it, it's their loss really (until my heart explodes from too much foie gras)

i don't hate vegans at all, but i just can't respect their opinions on food when they entirely shutter themselves off from, basically, the main thing that has sustained humans for the entirety of our existence. i have a lot of veg/vegan friends and eat that way pretty frequently, and it can be great, but how can i really trust you on food if you refuse to eat a rack of ribs, or prosciutto, or a fucking egg? i dunno, i'm not bitter about it, it's their loss really (until my heart explodes from too much foie gras)

I don't trust anyone who doesn't eat cheese.

^where you eat all 'dat? (plz tell me you're in LA plzzzzz)

also good call on that russian river consecration ale...big fan of most of their brews i've tried thus far. too bad all the positive feedback/high demand might have gone to their heads: http://www.la-foodie.com/beer/russian-river-brewing-company/

Portland - ORE

first spot is my parents cafe, second set is from Grand Central Bakery.

i read that high yesterday night and made ramen at 4am before going to bed. such a bad idea :/