what are you eating today?

soepom

is it really just a lodge? I have a whole slew of antique cast iron and none have that extra handle, so it was new to me. :o

haha, seeing that quoted I realize how much of an asshole I sounded like with that comment.

Didn't mean it to be critical.

And yeah, that extra handle is nice to have on big skillets when you're moving range to oven and stuff.

I'm getting depressed not having any of my knives/pots/pans/kitchen stuff since I came to new york. Need to get settled somewhere for real so that I can ship stuff up here.

Want to cook more than simple stuff and quit using a 3 dollar paring knife for everything. ha

did you add that avocado? here in oz the avocado comes all mashed and smeared on the bread prior to adding the salad. worst ever

in my experience, certain subway locations randomly offer whole sliced avocados while most only have the mushy spread. luv when dey gimme dem slices.

SUB - UH - WAY- UH ITALIAN MEAT - UH - BALL - UH

p1060057n.jpg

the burnt truck - fish n chips slider

p1060071.jpg

fried chicken slider

p1060080.jpg

reuben slider

p1060084w.jpg

cheeseburger

p1060100.jpg

pbj slider

p1060105.jpg

in n out grilled cheese

2u6ljk9.jpg

hawkins house of burgers - fat egg cheeseburger

p1060110m.jpg

flying dutchman animal style

p1060116.jpg

hawkins house of burgers - fat cheeseburger

p1060123rh.jpg

fries

Without eating meat, dairy, or eggs, and being too broke to dine out, Im always on a quest to mix up my meals and add variety to my protein while being as healthy as possible. This was one of my favorite efforts: spinach salad with sun dried tomatoes, olives, great northern beans, tofu I marinated, breaded, and baked, with a light pepper vinaigrette. To go along with it, a wholewheat herbed focaccia (vegan). A lot of work for a simple meal, but well worth it.

5524055384_cc5d7e69a5_z.jpg

Without eating meat, dairy, or eggs, and being too broke to dine out, Im always on a quest to mix up my meals and add variety to my protein while being as healthy as possible. This was one of my favorite efforts: spinach salad with sun dried tomatoes, olives, great northern beans, tofu I marinated, breaded, and baked, with a light pepper vinaigrette. To go along with it, a wholewheat herbed focaccia (vegan). A lot of work for a simple meal, but well worth it.

5524055384_cc5d7e69a5_z.jpg

I think if I were vegan I would get really good at making my own wheat gluten/fu.

But I'd also never be vegan, probably.

A good lunch before I start to get frantic with essay writing for finals. Sweet and spicy stir fried vegetables with peanut "cutlets". The cutlets are a mixture of brown rice, tofu, miso, roasted peanuts, and spices, then baked. All topped with some toasted sesame seeds and nutritional yeast. Complimented by green tea, of course.

5525044699_d9c560a0a9_z.jpg

Nah mate you got it wrong...it isnt a plight. I am in no way propagating my dietary habits for everyone, but I've sincerely enjoyed it. Besides the noticeable health benefits, its caused me to approach food in a whole new way. Ive had a lifelong love for cooking, but now I have a much deeper respect for my ingredients. Plus, its fun being forced to get creative with cooking.

dude, your food posts depress me. :( god bless you and your plight
Nah mate you got it wrong...it isnt a plight. I am in no way propagating my dietary habits for everyone, but I've sincerely enjoyed it. Besides the noticeable health benefits, its caused me to approach food in a whole new way. Ive had a lifelong love for cooking, but now I have a much deeper respect for my ingredients. Plus, its fun being forced to get creative with cooking.

It's not depressing to me, particularly...I just like to avoid food items that have quotation marks around them. I am by no means a vegetarian, but I enjoy tofu and wheat gluten...

And I really don't understand how not cooking animal products gives you MORE respect for ingredients. I respect the shit out of the meat I cook because I know something died for me to eat it. I take a similar stance on the creativity thing. You can still eat everything you eat as a vegan as an omnivore...there's just even more room for being creative because you have more options.

But do you. It's certainly not hurting anyone else for you to eat vegan (although soy crops are pretty nasty, I guess...but so is large scale food production of almost any sort).

Also, what is the point of nutritional yeast? Does it add any flavor?

Anyways, this afternoon I hit up a falafel joint called Taim... I guess it's been on food network and is pretty hyped. Was really, really good all around, so whatever hype it has seems deserved. Flavorful, crispy harissa-y falafel, smooth hummus, nice veggies and cabbage slaw, and a notably soft pita.

Good shit, pic does not do it justice.

3163wh2.jpg

Quality Mediterranean food=the best. That looks unreal. I make my own pita and falafel, but nothing compared to an authentic restaurant.

I know a lot of meat eaters that have a deep respect for their food. I am not against the consumption of meat, just the industrialized, corn feed that is destroying the environment, economy, and our conceptions of what we consider "food". On a personal level, I just didnt feel comfortable eating meat.

That said, I am as vehemently against industrial/subsidized production of corn/soy as I am meat. I think animals can be part of a beautiful natural cycle of food production (cows allowed to graze, fertilize grass, etc).

I arrived at college with a conventional American diet, and conventionally apathetic about food. Like a lot of people, food was just a necessary inconvenience in the daily routine. I mainly changed my dietary habits on a whim, in attempts to be more active about choosing food for health. Over a year later and with access to my own kitchen, I continue to gain passion about my decisions. In that time I've tried foods I never would have touched before (which I now enjoy and are staples for me). Thats the context in which I used respect, mainly thinking about each items production, flavor and nutritional quality (this is not an exclusive quality of vegetarians/vegans...i know some who are disgustingly apathetic/unhealthy). Im not very outgoing about propagating "going vegan" because I think it is a very personal decision, but I do find it important to share that for me it has been liberating, not restrictive.

Finally, I just used quotes because I lacked a better term than cutlet. I think that mock and imitation meats are foul. Nutritional yeast has a very pleasant flavor (a sort of salty Parmesan), and is very high in b12, a nutrient found almost exclusively in meat.

Sorry for the long rant...I dont want to further clutter the thread with non-picture posts. If anyone wants to continue discussion or has any questions, feel free to PM me; I'm always willing to talk food!

Finally, I just used quotes because I lacked a better term than cutlet. I think that mock and imitation meats are foul. Nutritional yeast has a very pleasant flavor (a sort of salty Parmesan), and is very high in b12, a nutrient found almost exclusively in meat.

I put nutritional yeast on popcorn. It is good stuff.

I am now going to go make some popcorn.

Then it will be what I am eating today.

Enjoy your popcorn! To make up for my pedantic-ness, I have one last post before I'm drowned in academia.

5527845093_fbf7a95628_z.jpg

A late night snack to get me through an arduous evening of essay writing. Dark chocolate almond/hazelnut (brown) rice pudding with ginger cinnamon vanilla and agave. And the necessary pour-over coffee (first of many tonight).