what are you eating today?

soepom

cross post from world tour thread again.

Food from the food court right off the MaoKong gondola. Which is pretty great. It only cost like 1.67$ to go up the whole way, was like a 15 minute ride. At palm springs it was like 30-50$ I think.

Anyway, food.

Mala chou dou fu. Spicy smelly tofu.

DSC07003.jpg

I am not going to lie I cannot remember what this was, but I didn't get any of it. I think it's winter melon jelly.

DSC07004.jpg

Two kinds of chou dou fu side by side. I really like stinky tofu. Fried, with pickled vegetables. And ma la which is like in spicy soup base with duck blood(optional, but I love that shit).

DSC07006.jpg

Here from left to right is...

You fan. Oily rice. Like that stuff you can get at dim sum. Was made with special tea oil instead of lard.

Rou...gen I think. It's like meat soup/broth.

Last one is lu rou fan. Which is like Taiwanese braised beef, or beef pieces, over rice. It's bomb.

DSC07007.jpg

CLOSEUPS.

DSC07010.jpg

DSC07009.jpg

DSC07008.jpg

my first attempt at some baguettes. they turned out really small and next time i have to make em thicker, but they taste incredibly good

5348320775_6f872ee0f7_z.jpg

and this pizza, first time the dough came out really good. the toppings need improvement next. shouldn't be too hard though

5348320653_b7cfed4843_z.jpg

yeah my shitty oven won't go any higher than ~475 F, plus i don't think it can even reach the temp that i set. i need a thermometer to properly check that. the pizza looks a lot thicker than it actually was

the baguettes crust was a bit too hard, i'm not gonna judge on the inside though because these were really thin. i have to do the whole recipie again and make them thicker. but the taste and texture was really good for a first attempt

went a few weeks without a camera so my food shots have been lacking

burrito filled with chicken, cheese, guacamole, etc

5326090481_2acbc423f2_z.jpg

spagetti with some sautéed onions/sausage mixed in

5354120196_e5f2870059_z.jpg

buffalo chicken, pepperjack cheese, lettuce, tomato, ranch, sundried tomato wrap

5353572367_0590cce2fa_z.jpg

salmon roll and shrimp tempura roll

5326090847_47c3e5dd52_z.jpg

been making rice and beans way too often

5354186494_ca16149cfe_z.jpg

made these the other night.. was entirely too lazy to make salsa so i opted to go with some pace salsa and sour cream.

5326699652_eb1caf2fb1_z.jpg

quinoa and sardine dish looks really interesting (in a good way).

I like the idea of quinoa croquettes.

Should have gotten some pictures of my dinner last night...Stephen Pyles (big name here in Texas) has this restaurant called Samar that is tapas style, but has menu offerings inspired by Spain, the Eastern Mediterranean, and India.

Went for a friends birthday and had a very nice meal.

Menu here, if anyone's really interested: http://www.samarrestaurant.com/Samar_by_Stephan_Pyles_Menu.pdf

Agree on the quinoa croquette. Been fascinated with the seed recently, it does interesting taste/visual things when used in different contexts. Quinoa in place of arborio rice to add starch to minestrone, for example.

Have some gonpoy and saffron, maybe will mess with the seafood/quinoa/saffron combination at home

One of my favorite 'Mexican' sit-down places in SoCal.

micasa.jpg

Assortment of other random party food

partyf.jpg

Five Guys. Still don't get how this place is rated no. 1 on Zagat for best fast food burger, considering it isn't "fast food" joint by any stretch. Burgers are pretty good tho. I'll try asking them to toast the bun and add extra lettuce for more texture next time.

fguys1.jpg

fguys2.jpg

fguys3.jpg