what are you eating today?

soepom

I'll be living one of the many dreams of the WAYETodai threak. I already accomplished the meal with Soepom's mum's cooking. Now, I venture off to take pictures of food for an entire work day, and eat every single pizza until I die of cheese poisoning.

Salut to my WAYETodai comrades.

I'm tempted to bump my old Singapore post…

an alternate take on hainanese chicken rice - you eat the chicken wrapped in the lettuce, with a generous splash of ginger paste. very refreshing on the palate.

xp1yqc.jpg

Please school me on hainanese chicken rice. I've read that it is traditionally boiled in stock, served with "oily rice", etc. Many say tasty, however chicken skin repulses me if not crispy. Does it come off slippery in texture? Does anyone serve with the skin browned at all? Given my distaste do you think it is not worth trying on my end?

Please school me on hainanese chicken rice. I've read that it is traditionally boiled in stock, served with "oily rice", etc. Many say tasty, however chicken skin repulses me if not crispy. Does it come off slippery in texture? Does anyone serve with the skin browned at all? Given my distaste do you think it is not worth trying on my end?

yes, traditional hainanese chicken rice is served with chicken like the one in my photograph, most of the time with the bone (unless it says "boneless chicken rice" on the stall). that said, you can ask for roasted-chicken rice (nearly every stall will serve both the white (steamed) and brown (roasted) chicken), which is chicken with the skin browned, and it is very tasty as well. the rice is of absolute importance - it is oily because it's cooked with chicken stock instead of water, and often, some pandan leaves, which is very aromatic.

i'm a purist, so i always eat the chicken with the skin. try just one piece, and if you don't like it, then you can always eat it with the skin removed - many "health-conscious" singaporeans do that. even so, the skinless chicken meat is tender and flavourful. oh, and do try it with a little of the sweet black soy sauce, ginger paste and garlic chilli sauce for the full experience.

i'm so awfully tired and inebriated. so if this isn't making sense, i'll elucidate after i'm sober.

so my brother got married when the future was down

at the reception in the evening

3065195749_5fd4dceebd_o.jpg

a platter of cold dishes

jellyfish, prawn, roast duck, fried dumpling and shark's fin fried egg

3066035202_7f5d2c30fe_o.jpg

shark's fin soup

3065195997_f1da200aa9_o.jpg

crispy chicken with szechuan sauce

3066035604_a93008c6db_o.jpg

prawns and cashew nuts with a deep fried yam crust

yes, traditional hainanese chicken rice is served with chicken like the one in my photograph, most of the time with the bone (unless it says "boneless chicken rice" on the stall). that said, you can ask for roasted-chicken rice (nearly every stall will serve both the white (steamed) and brown (roasted) chicken), which is chicken with the skin browned, and it is very tasty as well. the rice is of absolute importance - it is oily because it's cooked with chicken stock instead of water, and often, some pandan leaves, which is very aromatic.

i'm a purist, so i always eat the chicken with the skin. try just one piece, and if you don't like it, then you can always eat it with the skin removed - many "health-conscious" singaporeans do that. even so, the skinless chicken meat is tender and flavourful. oh, and do try it with a little of the sweet black soy sauce, ginger paste and garlic chilli sauce for the full experience.

i'm so awfully tired and inebriated. so if this isn't making sense, i'll elucidate after i'm sober.

obliged for the info. Anyone have a spot in NYC that makes it decent-good?