what are you eating today?

soepom

alright i'll try my best...(i'll stick to chinese food for the most part)

Good:

- Yung Kee (barbecued roast goose is good, but dont get the lunch rice plate...try to get a few other people to go with you and order a half or a whole you get much better meat that way)

- Sushi Shota (in causeway bay near sino center - its the only japanese restaurant i'd go to outside of Japan. I'd say it even trumps some sushi i've had in Tokyo...for example the Roku Roku at Tokyo's Grand Hyatt isn't touching this place IMO)

- Ginza (another Japanese restaurant, this one's pretty much an HK institution since it's been around forever. The grilled kobe beef set lunch is good. Maybe wouldnt go there for dinner though its expensive as fuck)

- West Villa (causeway bay, decent dim sum. their char siu cheung fun is good, char siu is a signature dish here. There's also a branch in Sheung Wan which is actually the original but they don't serve dim sum, only stir fry and "proper" course items)

- Tsui Wah (i actually don't like this restaurant at all, but i can't stop eating the swiss sauce stir fried ho fan with sliced pork (i usually go to the Central Wellington St. branch). They only serve the pork version at dinner time though...they have the beef one at lunch but i've never been a fan of HK style meat tenderized beef)

- Katong Laksa (i know this is probably a useless recommendation to you, but the laksa here is pretty good imo. i eat here for lunch i'd say 3 out of 5 days a week).

- Tse Kee (a bit out of the way, if you go to joyce warehouse make sure to check this place out though. Best fish ball/fish cake noodle joint in town. It's even better if you buy them to go and use them for hot pot)

- Dragon (it's actually called "Lung Kee" in Chinese, no english name but the Lung means dragon. It's a dirty little hole in the wall but their suckling pig, which i think is actually mid size rather than young suckling, is fantastic.)

- Mak's Noodles (place is a bit of a toss up...it's worth going for the fact that this place is the godfather of modern day Cantonese wonton noodle soup. A bit past its prime however, prices are high for what it is and portions are tiny. If you do go you must try the Jia Jiang lo mein, Mak's invented the Cantonese variation of this dish)

- Sang Kee (it's across the basketball courts in Wan Chai, you gotta go up to the 2nd and 3rd floors of this old looking building. its pretty much impossible to find unless you know about this place...you gotta make a reservation to get a table, but the prices are not expensive at all. Make sure you reserve the Chinese fried chicken and mud fish congee, as well as the soy sauce fried jumbo prawns in shell. steamed fish is also a winner (fook lam moon is probably the most famous steamed fish in HK, but that place will snub you if you're not a somebody or a regular)

- And I'll probably recommend Fook Lam Moon for lunch anyway. its definitely not cheap as its where the tycoons and royalty usually hold court, esp. on public holidays. The decor is unassuming for being the top cantonese restaurant in the city...skip the shark's fin, go for the stuff like fried chicken and steamed fish...but i guess you can get the same for normal prices at sang kee. Oh you gotta try the dried cuttle fish/diced chicken fried rice in gravy at FLM tho)

stay away:

- Tasty's, as i mentioned...both IFC and Happy Valley branches. Rip off of Mak's, its pure mass market junky fast food.

- pretty much any hot pot joint in town isn't worth going to, better off buying fresh ingredients and DIY...."Fai Goh" (or Brother Fai) in Wan Chai is famous for the premium sliced beef however, maybe thats worth a go if youre willing to brave out the hk summer heat for hot pot. but if you go and end up ordering seafood you will be stuck with a $2000 tab at the very least, no questions asked

- Zuma (pretentious nouveau stylized Japanese restaurant, an import from London. Its alright if you go for cocktails but avoid the sushi bar like the plague. It looks great from the counter but i've never had a more bland $1000 meal of raw fish in my life)

- Crystal Jade La Mian Shanghainese (this place is a franchise and its always jam packed. there's one in IFC and one at the basement of times square; the food is shit)

- Xiao Nan Guo (times square shanghainese place, apparently deng xiao ping's dessert chef is stationed here now. too bad i never made it to the desserts the food was bad enough)

- Forum restaurant ("Ah Yat" abalone as this place is more commonly known - it's a world famous restaurant in reputation but the prices are too high, food and service are crap, all it has is its reputation).

its a shame one cant really get good shanghainese in HK any more...the original Yi Pin Xiang (not the one opened by that record label manager a few years back) was a classic, but it's no more. I'd also say that wonton noodles are dead, Mak's is the last bastion and it's fitting given it started with them, but i haven't had a decent bowl in years.

and as mentioned in the hk thread, Dragon I is cool for the all you can eat dim sum special on Fridays for $140, i'd say its a steal if you go with a big group.

thanks! Enough places for half my trip.

I lol'ed when i saw Katong Laksa. Maybe I should try it. Funnily, I have never had the actual laksa at Katong in Singapore (I think it's all hype). And Crystal Jade is actually from Singapore, the food they serve here are pretty decent. Never tried the one in hk.

I love wanton noodles, though the Singaporean version comes with char siu. Will check out Mak's Noodles and I'll try to drag my family to those chinese restaurants you mentioned. Will ask you for directions when my trip's nearer.

Any experience with Joël Robuchon at Landmark? I came across it while googling for eating places in hk.

i've only been to L'atelier de joel robuchon in tokyo for high tea...had pastries which were not good at all. Prices seem reasonable enough, but from what i heard from my parents who ate at the real deal when Joel was still holding court at his eponymous restaurant this new place is somewhat of a joke. I think they also got a Spoon by Ducasse at the intercontinental but ducasse is a hack in my eyes and some of my friends who eat at a lot of these places seem to agree

btw, at some of the more expensive places, dont be intimidated if the staff ignore you or try to give you attitude...and don't be afraid to boss them around. It sucks it has to be this way, but it's kind of a rule that in order to get good service in this city you have to be aggressive sometimes. There's a big "worship those who seem above us and step on those who appear beneath us" attitude here which is what i hate the most, especially when people switch faces in a second after they see that you arent taking their shit

thanks for the info. i've been to alhambra few times for pho. now i have to try savoy's chicken rice. i love sufu, where you can get all sorts of tips.

You go to Pho 79 don't you. hahahha.

Azn- when you gonna be in singapore?

I'm planning to come around the end of aug/beginning of sept.

plz post picz of the supergay savoy chickenz

2502656051_aba8809653.jpg

it looks like nothing special, but tastes amazing.

hahah, savoy, alhambra and chicken rice.... totally disparate.

亚洲男, we're waiting for you.

haha, yeah: a Malaysian inspired restaurant with some southern chinese food in a city named after a spanish castle.

btw THANKS FOR THE NOTICE. I need to eat food-- only reason i'm coming to singapore to be honest with you. wtf. I thank you, soepom, and tweeds for this.

aznboi i've always passed by savoy and just assumed it was just all the other generic asian cafe/restaurants in the area. i'll probably give that place a try on your rec over the weekend. ill report back on sf haha.

Get the chicken rice AND their chrysanthanmum tea--their 菊花茶 is pretty fucking bomb. it's not watered down..

btw THANKS FOR THE NOTICE. I need to eat food-- only reason i'm coming to singapore to be honest with you. wtf. I thank you, soepom, and tweeds for this.

we shall take full responsibility for all food-lust we have inspired in you. come hungry. or else.

Have some home made donkey saucisson that I'll take pics of later.

jesus what country do you live in where they eat donkeys?! (or is the plural "donkies")

tangerine season has arrived!

2powpvo.jpg

banana prata

10wigrp.jpg

my attempt at a chicken and eggplant "thai" curry. i have no idea at all if it's authentic (it's not exactly like the stuff i've had at thai restaurants in the US). but let me tell you, authentic or not, it's pretty damn tasty.

29w7srq.jpg

When does a hamburger get called a cheeseburger? A Big Mac has cheese on it, but it's not called a cheeseburger. Help me.

I'm no authority on this (well, actually I have an aunt that used to be one of the directors for the local macs... but nevermind) but I've always assumed that a cheeseburger is a hamburger + cheese, a double cheese burger is two hamburger patties + cheese, and a big mac is "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun"

Mum whipped up a storm when my Granny came over for dinner with the aunts:

wayet0525anu4.jpg

wayet0525dpg6.jpg

home-made mango pudding/jelly

And the aunts in turn brought desserts and snacks from their recent travels to tokyo and macau:

wayet0525bzo8.jpg

wayet0525crj6.jpg

wayet0525eyz5.jpg

wayet0525fqq8.jpg

After the feasting, I told my mum I needed only salad for lunch the next day:

wayet0526gl0.jpg

But we soon resume the usual the day after:

wayet0527aer9.jpg

Took my mum out to dinner tonight at my favourite middle eastern restaurant:

wayet0527bru2.jpg

i had the grilled chicken steak with mash

wayet0527cvw1.jpgmum had the laham meshawi (grilled lamb with special garlic sauce) - i'm gonna order this the next time!

you're in NY right? pomme frites on 2nd ave has somewhat legit poutine w/ real curds. i'm not sure how good it is, but its more authentic than melted cheese (which is still delicious).

I'm not, actually. I just saw your question about the Guinness Steak Pie too... the pie, my fake poutine, and I are about 3000 miles away from NYC. I'm there often enough though... love Pomme Frites with just the plain ol' frite sauce (aioli?). Gotta try the curds next time!