The Flight Jacket Thread

still

They likely fit small, note that any A2 you get will be extremely short, and this will be especially true for any BR jacket. Compare their measurements, or the measurements on VLJ, to a jacket you own.

One of the big reasons I got an Aero is because I could specify measurements, and even then it has taken me a long time to adjust to how A2s really fit.

If you want quality and authenticity above all else, definitely get teh BR though, beautiful jackets.

• 2 months later...

heres a few jackets for the thread...

Korean War era G-1 (almost mint jacket, no USN collar stencil however)

g1.jpg

WWII N-41 (my all time fav jacket, looking to replace this one, its pretty beat)

n41.jpg

WWll Jeep Mackinaw (these seem to have a wool lining thats the same as the Army issue blankets. Beautiful shell collar, this one doesnt get the love it deserves..)

mackinaw.jpg

Vietnam A2 Deck Jacket (Another favorite, I wore it today and a Japanese dude at the market said "nice jacket"...)

a2.jpg

Nice jackets. Pretty funny about the japanese guy..

Anyone know what the deal is with the William Gibsom Buzz Ricksons gear? I heard they have done multiple runs of the MA-1s at least, and Self Edge is getting some of the L2-Bs later this year. So, are they still in production once in a while or is this mostly left over from initial production runs?

Additionally, until Self Edge gets stuff what is the best way to get hold of Buzz Ricksons stuff in the US?

Nice jackets. Pretty funny about the japanese guy..

Anyone know what the deal is with the William Gibsom Buzz Ricksons gear? I heard they have done multiple runs of the MA-1s at least, and Self Edge is getting some of the L2-Bs later this year. So, are they still in production once in a while or is this mostly left over from initial production runs?

Additionally, until Self Edge gets stuff what is the best way to get hold of Buzz Ricksons stuff in the US?

History Preservation has some BR stuff.

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/buzzrlanding_2.php

Thought id bump this to mention that William Gibson and Buzz Rickson have done a collab ( how SuFu do you wanna be?! )

at Vintage Paradise

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/vintage/784229/785731/

"Tito threw on his APC jeans and Buzz RicksonXWilliam Gibson flight jacket before sitting down on the dusty floor to methodically lace his Adidas GSG9 combat boots...."

Ive just scrolled down and this has already been mentioned.... shit sorry.

hows the sizing on those a-2's? ca someone help me wanting to get one of those plain a-2's from bzz rickson btw first time flight jacket buyer..

I don't have a buzz rickson but from what I have heard/read they are somewhat shorter that other brands and a2s are pretty short already. That said the BRs are also some of the best repro flight jackets out there.

It's not BR A-2's that are short - it's all A-2's - they're short if you don't tuck in your shirts. That said, BR A-2's fit "true to size" - as in your sport coat size is the jacket size you should order.

-Jake

Nightdeposit; thats a great collection of jackets; which brand are they?

they are all different manufacturers, all for the US military.

the G1 is a JW Foster, one of the early G-1 contractors. Not sure about this, but many think this is the production run that nailed it. a classic.

the N-41 ? no tag

Mackinaw ? no tag

A-2 - Kings Point Mfg.

no "brand", just straight military specs...

Bumping this to hopefully get Black's question answered...I'm interested in BR jacket sizing as well. I recall they're sized in numeric-suit sizes (36, 38, etc.) Are they true to size?

They run small compares to american cousins. I have a Schott NYC A2 size 36 (I'm 183cm, 67kg) which is a little bit snug and I have size M Buzz R. B10 canvas jacket that fits great with hoodie or some thick sweater underneath. I'd say this M is about 40?

I would buy another BR jacket but they're too expensive to screw the sizing... :(

• 1 month later...

I still confuse about Real McCoys, Toy McCoy, Joe McCoy

What I read from prvious threads was that Real McCoys is from New Zealand..how about Toy McCoy and Joe McCoy....

I bought a Real McCoy year book from Lightning magazine they were pretty cool...

I went to these store in New York called Cockpit and they are selling good flight jacket too...www.cockpitusa.com

What is the SuFU concensus on Buzz rickson sizing?

Size up, true, down?

I'm interested in a A-2 or G-1 and a B-10, but i'm not too sure about the sizes.

Here are full measurements on the L-2B by Buzz Rickson/William Gibson we just got in, the only reason why you'd size up one is to get the little bit of extra length for the most part. The jacket is pretty forgiving in width..

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=230

DSC00094-766446.JPG

Just found *yesterday* what appears to be a

NOS (or) Never Ever worn "Brill Brothers 1947 G-1"

in absolutley amazing condition 12 out of 10 at an estate sale for 10$

( I love my life )

will post pics by wed.

I hate to be the barer of bad news but if its Brill Brothers its not from 1947. Theres an easy way to tell. If it were from 1947 it would be a 55J14 and some of the big makers from those contracts were

Aviators Clothing

L.W.Foster

Burjac

B-G inc

A.Pritzker & Sons

Star Sports Wear

Dubow

If its a Brill Bros its probably a MIL-J-7823 D or E and the Ds were from the late 1960s and the Es 1969 to present.

That tag can tell you a great deal about the jacket. In the early 1970s the went from black embrodered the white printed tags.

Label from late 40s from a Star

label2.jpg

Label from 1973 from a Star

label.jpg

On the 73 star the date is on the last line DSA100-73-C-0034

Heres one from a 1970 Star 7823D

label3.jpg

Photos copyright and courtesy John Chapman

I hope this helps and $10 is a good deal even on a D or E model G-1.

No bad news delivered man, if anything I appreciate the information you were able to provide me as its now made more knowledgable as to what I own and its for sure the 2nd (middle) tag / ends in an E.. I took a quick pic last night while at work/school

so Ill post it at some point today.

So its 69 or later and the tag is white right? Should be the year of the contract right after something like DSA100- then the date. Probably bottom line.

Collectore really look for the D models and earlier becasue before that the hide was goatskin and the collars were real mouton. Allot of the later G-1s E models are steer pressed to resemble goat and synthetic collars. Those are still GREAT jackets. I think some of the earlier and now some of the later Brills are goat.

I have an Irvin Foster C model (mid 1960s) in a huge size (rare).