The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Anyone here wearing jackets made by The Few? I have a friend in New Zealand who owns The Real McCoys New Zealand, who make some great flight jackets, and he told me his real pride and joy is this other maker "The Few". I spoke to a few people in Ueno who all rate these horsehide flight jackets as the best of the moment, but have yet to buy one myself. I know he has made a few costumes for recent WWII films too. All looks fantastic. Anyone with any real life experience, I'd love to hear about it.

desu

Anyone here wearing jackets made by The Few? I have a friend in New Zealand who owns The Real McCoys New Zealand, who make some great flight jackets, and he told me his real pride and joy is this other maker "The Few". I spoke to a few people in Ueno who all rate these horsehide flight jackets as the best of the moment, but have yet to buy one myself. I know he has made a few costumes for recent WWII films too. All looks fantastic. Anyone with any real life experience, I'd love to hear about it.

desu

I've owned several McCoys and seen the few and they do some models better than others. They generally use hides much heavier than originals and was told the reason was because thats what the Japanese market demands. Great jackets but as far as authentic you'll be hard pressed to find more authentic than GW.

Theres nobody making a better, more accurate, Navy flight jacket out there than John and the goat he uses is really some good stuff. Its amazing how warm it is. Good luck and if you go for the 422 Monarch and his 6552 looks pretty sweet to so either way you can't go wrong.

Thank you. Yea, their goat is amazing by just looking at the pics.:)

desu

always wanted one from the few but pretty expensive

I'm hoping to get some expert insight on the following jacket:

L1030873.jpg

It's not my size, so I'd like to put it up for sale, but I want to make sure I have my facts straight.

It has the following features:

size 42

"conmar" zipper

acetate lining in great shape

"fur" collar

The text on the tag is hard to read, but I can make out some of it:

"Jacket, Flying...Type G-(?)...Naval Weapons, U.S.N., Ralph Edwards Sportswear, N.C.,...24-C(or 6?)-62"

It's a "C" model G-1. That's real mouton, not fake fur. Early-mid 60's jacket.

L1030873.jpg

It's not my size, so I'd like to put it up for sale, but I want to make sure I have my facts straight.

size 42

"conmar" zipper

"fur" collar

"Jacket, Flying...Type G-(?)...Naval Weapons, U.S.N., Ralph Edwards Sportswear, N.C.,...24-C(or 6?)-62"

I've been looking at a lot of G1's lately and I get the feeling I probable would prefer a good goatskin jacket to a good horsehide.

This is an great example of an awesome looking jacket.

always wanted one from the few but pretty expensive

The Few make jackets to a standard rather than a price, unlike Mcoy's although the latter are also very nice. The quality of the hides and the tanning The Few use are unbelievable.

For sure the prices are high, but considering the timeframe you will likely be wearing such a jacket, they may not be as unreasonable as they first appear.

Then again I have a Freewheelers Brakeman on order so I may just be trying to convice myself I did the right thing. I won't be be able to buy much else this year.

FYI...I put the G-1 pictured below on ebay...

http://shop.ebay.com/eddiemetasovich/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

L1030873.jpg

size 42

"conmar" zipper

"fur" collar

Here are some pictures of the Good Wear Californian Ventura that I just received. The horsehide is not that stiff. It is already very comfortable to wear. All the praise you read here for John is more than justified. It is just wonderfully made.

goodwearfront.jpg

2010-08-02028.jpg

I started to take some detail shots but discovered that John Chapman had posted photographs of my actual jacket on his website, so I suggest you check them out here because his shots are way better than mine would have been:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwcalventura_images2.html

Nice jacket!!!

Here are some pictures of the Good Wear Californian Ventura that I just received. The horsehide is not that stiff. It is already very comfortable to wear. All the praise you read here for John is more than justified. It is just wonderfully made.

goodwearfront.jpg

2010-08-02028.jpg

I started to take some detail shots but discovered that John Chapman had posted photographs of my actual jacket on his website, so I suggest you check them out here because his shots are way better than mine would have been:

goodwearfront.jpg

2010-08-02028.jpg

Wicked cool! You've got the complete package firing there.

Up for sale: Rough Wear 27752 Size 42 Seal Horsehide (new batch) w/Mid Brown Knits

***$700*** and no 4-6 month wait.....

Paid $950. Worn only 3 or 4 times. Just a little too small.

Standard 27752 with 1" added to the length and sleeve length.

Measurements:

Across Shoulders 18"

Chest (from armpit seam to armpit seam) 21.5"

Length (from top of the collar) 26"

Sleeve Length (from shoulder seam) 26.5"

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_rw27752.html

IMG_3177-1.jpg

IMG_3178-1.jpg

IMG_3182-1.jpg

IMG_3184-1.jpg

Again my RMNZ Dubow model. A size 42 that I am shoehorned into, as I am about 95kgs and 6 foot tall. Really shouldve gotten a 44....

P8215256.jpgP8215275.jpg

desu

Again my RMNZ Dubow model. A size 42 that I am shoehorned into, as I am about 95kgs and 6 foot tall. Really shouldve gotten a 44....

desu

I have no idea how you can fit into that jacket (still looks good on you). My RMNZ Dubow 42 fits slim on me (usually only wear a t-shirt underneath for outings on summer nights), and I'm 5'9" 80kg.