NYC gun battle: stuck in the crossfires

emaze

so I was enjoying a nice dinner in my neighborhood lastnight when an all out gun battle started. (mind you this was around 9ish on a busy street in the village full of tourist)

here's the article from NY1: http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=67691

has anyone ever been caught in the middle of a shoot out?

"Two NYPD auxiliary police officers were shot and killed by a heavily-armed gunman in a volley of gunfire on the streets of Greenwich Village Wednesday night, after the suspect had fatally shot a restaurant employee.

Investigators say the volunteer officers – Nicholas Pekearo and Yevgeniy 'Eugene' Marshalik – chased the suspect, identified as 32-year-old David Gavin, after Gavin fired 15 shots at an employee at De Marco's pizzeria on West Houston Street near Macdougal, killing 35-year-old Alfredo Romaro around 9 p.m.

The unarmed auxiliary officers caught up with Gavin at Sullivan Street, where he shot and killed the two before armed officers could arrive. Gavin was shot and killed by responding armed NYPD police officers at Bleecker and Sullivan Streets.

Police say a nine millimeter handgun and another weapon were recovered from the scene, along with about 100 rounds of ammunition and at least two other clips, leading authorities to say the incident could have been even more tragic had the suspect not been stopped when he was.

"This tragedy, as horrific as it was, could have been a lot worse without the actions of our brave officers," said Mayor Michael Bloomberg at an early-morning press conference at St. Vincent's Hospital, where the injured officers were pronounced dead.

"He killed three unarmed individuals in quick succession and appeared to be ready to take even more lives,†said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. “When he turned onto Sullivan Street he encountered two of the city's unsung heroes, two New York City auxiliary police officers. They were part of the 4,500 member program whose volunteers serve without compensation as the eyes and ears of this department.â€

Witnesses described a chaotic scene in which people screamed and ran for cover during a barrage of 15-20 bullets outside a popular stretch of restaurants near the campus of New York University. Police closed off several blocks around the area as patrons streamed into the streets following the shootings.

The gunman was also found to be carrying a fake beard, which witnesses said he had been wearing as a disguise when he shot the restaurant employee.

Nicholas Pekearo, 28, had been with the auxiliary police since 2003. Eugene Marshalik was two weeks shy of his 20th birthday. He was a student at NYU; he joined the Auxiliary Police Department 13 months ago.

Pekearo and Marshalik are the sixth and seventh auxiliary officers to lose their lives in the line of duty since the program's inception. The last auxiliary officer fatality occurred in 1993.

Wednesday night's incident was the fourth time in two days that NYPD officers have been attacked in the line of duty. "

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Miz... who would of ever guessed downtown in the West Village? All I have to say is for a guy to get shot 15 times in the back in a crowded hood, he probably pissed someone off seriously....

Similar thing happened a couple years ago while waiting on my stoop for my Chinese to be delivered. Except it was in Chelsea. And there were two shots -- not 15. And the guy missed. And I lived across the street from the projects, with a fair amount of gang activity.

I guess the only similarity is that is was New York, and there was shooting.

Anyway, glad to hear you're alright. I know that shit fucked with my head for a while. Do you find yourself a bit jumpier today or anything?

feeling ok actually, --was overwelmed with the police presence they were not playing around. Swat teams, k-9 units, cops on horses, helicopters....

15 shots the gunmen used to kill this dude in the back no less..... what a coward.

then to shoot two young unarmed auxiliary cops....(one wasn't even 20 years old)

I'm glad the cops shot this guy dead in the street in front of everybody.

It would have been funny if you pretended you had a gun too and rolled around on the ground going "peeww" "peewww" (gun shot noise).

.........that is a very sad article though.

I don't have any original jokes. Haven't you realized that already?

if resolution69 were passed, id give your tiny peen al the rep it could ever want.

• 2 weeks later...