thailand :: bangkok :: general

sepia007

You got all this here in Bangkok except that nice beaches are 3-4 hours by car away (depends which direction you go). "Good nightlife" is pretty different for each person. The problem of Bangkok is that there are not as many diverese places when it comes to music. In most other western cities you have rock, jazz, hiphop, house, trance, electro, dnb... places. You won't find this sort of variety in Bangkok.

Diversity of music styles isn't really a problem. The problem is that there isn't much variety within each style . If you're into hip-hop for example, be prepared to hear the same songs played at every "hip hop" club. There's no distinction between east coast, west coast, old school, etc.

Bangkok is a great place, but I think the club/party scene pales in comparison to most other major cities around the world.

Diversity of music styles isn't really a problem. The problem is that there isn't much variety within each style . If you're into hip-hop for example, be prepared to hear the same songs played at every "hip hop" club. There's no distinction between east coast, west coast, old school, etc.

Bangkok is a great place, but I think the club/party scene pales in comparison to most other major cities around the world.

Is there any clubs to stay away from? Ie rough crowds, mafia hangouts etc?

It all depends how special your taste of music is. For me (I like oldschool breaks, oldschool hiphop, dnb, jungle, italo disco) most of the venues don't offer much unless they have special events.

If you just look for mainstream music genres you are fine in Bangkok as well of course. But for example the places that have electronic music change the sound and you got to check the schedule. In most other cities of that size that I visited you have clubs dedicated to a much more narrow spectrum of sound. In Bangkok you got to really get informed or you might end up with something you don't like (if you are picky about the sound).

As a newbie you might want to stay away from the upstair bars in patpong and if you go cruising in red light districts and plan to stay a couple of hours in one place pay after a couple of drinks and then later again. This helps you not getting ripped off at the end of the evening when you don't really know how much you had anyway.

Checking the red light scene in Bangkok is fun and I can def. recommend it. The whole scenery is interesting and seeing the sex tourists is like going to a zoo. Taking a skanky h0e back home is another story. If you can't hold it go to short time hotels that are pretty much everywhere.

K thanks Largo.

If you want to get fairly decent quality t-shirts for max 1400 baht is it better to go to the shops or can you still pickup decent stuff at the chattuchak market? Just getting mixed comments.

Is that the only market around, I thought I might of read some other market that's good for clothes or maybe just imagining it?

Yeah, the beaches are swarming with noisy obnoxious tourists. You have to spend over $250 a night to get away from British soccer fans singing at the top of their lungs at 3:00 am. Bangkok is so much fun. We loved staying in the financial district. Khao San Road is a shit hole full of arrogant tourists. There is great food everywhere in Bangkok, everyone is friendly and speaks English, and the sky train is very convenient (and far from Khao San Road). The city is VERY noisy due to mortorcycles and tuk tuks. We didn't sleep for a couple of days, untill we went to 4 star hotels.

The red light district is so much fun. There is a Mexican restaurant there that I recommend. Bed was full of cheesy 40 year olds when I went and the DJ was spinning late 90's prog house. But the place is amazing. Good sound and architecture. We went to another club around the corner that was the same scene. RCA is where Astra is. It is where all the local kids hang out. I felt a little old there at 30 and my wife and I were the only farang.

Yeah, the beaches are swarming with noisy obnoxious tourists. You have to spend over $250 a night to get away from British soccer fans singing at the top of their lungs at 3:00 am. Bangkok is so much fun. We loved staying in the financial district. Khao San Road is a shit hole full of arrogant tourists. There is great food everywhere in Bangkok, everyone is friendly and speaks English, and the sky train is very convenient (and far from Khao San Road). The city is VERY noisy due to mortorcycles and tuk tuks. We didn't sleep for a couple of days, untill we went to 4 star hotels.

The red light district is so much fun. There is a Mexican restaurant there that I recommend. Bed was full of cheesy 40 year olds when I went and the DJ was spinning late 90's prog house. But the place is amazing. Good sound and architecture. We went to another club around the corner that was the same scene. RCA is where Astra is. It is where all the local kids hang out. I felt a little old there at 30 and my wife and I were the only farang.

Yeh I heard it can be a bit noisy, oh well should be fun though. Was going to check out bed just for what you said, looks like an interesting place being all white. What did u mean RCA is where astra is? I'm a nub sufu member still, what's farang?