thailand :: bangkok :: general

sepia007

Massive one near On Nut, didn't realise there's another?

Here for another 2 weeks and looking for some interesting bits to do at night with my girlfriend,

maybe some small, intimate bars, weird dive bars or low key jazz clubs if you / anyone here knows of any?

Ideally local / non touristy stuff, heavily avoiding khosan road etc.

Also, just a note for people coming here, I'm staying in a spot called TENFACE and it's fantastic,

quite central and incredibly affordable, beautiful rooms too. Best place I've found since coming here.

Link - http://www.agoda.com/tenface-bangkok-hotel/hotel/bangkok-th.html?asq=beKhnLYffD124emgwxic6lH%2fYjuuH9kFcJ5VCP%2bn2awZk4OHuT45aQgwJfrxRpIItN%2fSzuJmwZ6xxixq%2fxTJwkB%2boOsouaP8lRrvjbet8O8ZM9WNyqzIrUdq2aKuWHehkPGFpXKkV1Rxd803um%2biC3smHtEXx%2ftsf4pE1J3CNcs%3d&cid=1646620&tag=cf0af062-4391-49ff-85f7-905a2972e9f4

Chinatown is another recent find which is good, visually quite a lot to take in and a great place to check at night. Found a great dumpling spot and tonnes of weird / good street food, one of the most interesting places I've seen so far.

• 2 months later...

so, back in BKK again this weekend. 

Looking for a chill time this time round.

Where's good for coffee?

Local Thai cuisine?

Chill rooftop bars?

Little quirky boutiques of local designers?

Good shops for some outerwear? Acronym, Stone Island, Arcteryx etc..

Edited by suprastar

so, back in BKK again this weekend. 

Looking for a chill time this time round.

Where's good for coffee?

Local Thai cuisine?

Chill rooftop bars?

Little quirky boutiques of local designers?

Good shops for some outerwear? Acronym, Stone Island, Arcteryx etc..

Coffee go to Casa Lapin in Ari or on Soi 26 Sukhumvit. Also Rocket Coffeebar on Sathorn Soi 12. 

Rooftops. Vertigo at Banyan Tree, Sirocco. These places can get a bit crowded. I also like Scarlett at Pullman G on Silom. 

Speakeasys/jazz bars are the thing right now with Maggie Choo's, Iron Fairies, etc. 

Not much outerwear like Acteryx. The best you'll do it North Face at any mall. There is no market for this stuff given the weather. 

For boutiques, go to Siam Square and explore the alleys. Used to live in BKK for 9+ years but this stuff may be out of date. Things change there quickly. 

Well I was in BKK last weekend, just did a tiny bit of research and these are the places I visited:

Coffee -

Rocket Bar was nice, food was okay but sitting outside on a quiet street with a coffee was chill as f.

Kuppa was a nice place to go for brunch, food was excellent.

Food - 

Got suggested a place called Taling Pling at Central World, great Thai food.

Bars - 

Actually didnt get to do much drinking, but ended up at Red Sky Bar at Centara Grand one night.

Also another night went to Khao San Rd for kicks, but got out of there quite quickly.

Shopping -

Just did the usual malls, Central World etc..

Siam Square was ok as usual, bought some Blind Barber pomade from one of the boutiques there.

MBK is shitty, I used to visit there as a younger guy and loved to shop there, but realise how tacky it is now.

Chatukchak, this was actually the first time i've been here, despite visiting BKK like 5 times, was fun exploring and eating here, managed to buy an Alpha Industries bomber from one of the vintage shops..

Coffee go to Casa Lapin in Ari or on Soi 26 Sukhumvit. Also Rocket Coffeebar on Sathorn Soi 12. 

Rooftops. Vertigo at Banyan Tree, Sirocco. These places can get a bit crowded. I also like Scarlett at Pullman G on Silom. 

Speakeasys/jazz bars are the thing right now with Maggie Choo's, Iron Fairies, etc. 

Not much outerwear like Acteryx. The best you'll do it North Face at any mall. There is no market for this stuff given the weather. 

For boutiques, go to Siam Square and explore the alleys. Used to live in BKK for 9+ years but this stuff may be out of date. Things change there quickly. 

Edited by suprastar

• 4 months later...

Ok, never bothered looking but is there a good french bistrot in BKK?

Fav vintage/flea/market and coffee houses too (I see these seem to be covered by earlier post but just in case something changed).