thailand :: bangkok :: general

sepia007

Came across two good vintage stores today: Triple Stitched and Wooden Submarine.

Both definitely worth checking out if you're into the vintage americana/workwear/militaria style.

Lots of old RRL, Levi's, Haversack, vintage Paraboot, Alden, Red Wing, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Wooden Submarine is rather pricy though, but they do carry new clothing as footwear as well, they're the only Yuketen stockist I know of in South-East Asia.

Is wooden submarine still in JJuk market? Where is triple stitched?

I think they used to be located in JJ, but moved. Triple Stitched is part of the Rain Hill lifestyle mini-mall, around soi 45.

Also, for anyone looking for optical wear, Lens & Time in Central World is pretty cool, had a bunch of stuff including the Thom Browne x Dita collaborations, Bernhard Willhelm x Mykita, and what looked like the Damir Doma x Mykita teashades. I finally got a chance to try on the TB frames I'd been wanting for a while

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

going to BK next week. does anyone know how it is now?

• 3 months later...

Anyone been to Koh samui ?

me and my partner Sarah are heading there on the 5th to get married and were staying for two weeks , any things that are a must do/see ? all im really interested in so far is a few nights at the Chaweng muay thai stadium 

• 5 weeks later...

Spending new year eve in BKK staying Riverside. Any advice on where to see the new year in?

Depends on the type of night are you looking for and the people that you want to be around: locals, expats, hookers, etc. You can pretty much find any type of experience that you want. Figure that out and come back here....

I've been BKK several times and hookers have never been involved!I'm there with my wife staying just down from Saphin Taksin and near asiateque. Considering staying by the river as I hear there are fireworks and celebrations, perhaps find a bar with a view or head to Siam / Childom for the celebration at central world

• 2 months later...

Heading out to Thailand for a few weeks. Only in Bangkok for 5 days before I head out to Samui. Where are the best current shops for Japanese denim? Will definitely go to MBK and Siam Square but open to other suggestions.

Edited by imsinking

this might help...

http://superfuture.com/supershop/bangkok-superguide

:-)

Heading out to Thailand for a few weeks. Only in Bangkok for 5 days before I head out to Samui. Where are the best current shops for Japanese denim? Will definitely go to MBK and Siam Square but open to other suggestions.

anyone have suggestions for a nice hotel to stay at?

we are 3 dudes, travelling to bkk for the weekend end of this month.

which locations should we ideally look at for nightlife?

If you want to party you want khoa san road, patpong and nana  plaza. But get out there and explore BKK is a great city and my best night's have been had in the most unexpected places 

Short notice but I'll be flying over to Bangkok tomorrow and staying till Wednesday, will only have 1 day really before flying back to SIngapore. Staying at 4 seasons, planning to check out central world and possibly central embassy mall to see rocket coffee. Don't know if I'll have enough time to check the art & culture center. Any other recs for food/shops in the area and general stuff to do?

• 2 months later...

Short notice but I'll be flying over to Bangkok tomorrow and staying till Wednesday, will only have 1 day really before flying back to SIngapore. Staying at 4 seasons, planning to check out central world and possibly central embassy mall to see rocket coffee. Don't know if I'll have enough time to check the art & culture center. Any other recs for food/shops in the area and general stuff to do?

any luck with shopping?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

any luck with shopping?

Sorry this is legit late but I'd say it was a bust more or less.

Converting the prices I noticed prices in BK were on average slightly pricier than Singapore which was bizarre to say the least considering the conversion rate at the time of my visit.

There was a few neat places, mainly wandered around that strip of road with all the malls including central and siam square. American Rag Cie was boring tbh. Also briefly browsed club 21 (was okay) and next to normal store (good).

Had a quick look at the denim stores deux mentioned above just for the heck of it. Heavy selection was tiny but very interesting, + having the chance to handle Kapital was neat. There's a cafe on the corner in that level which focuses on locally grown beans if that's your thing.

Also stumbled into some random stores down in Siam square which was sort of interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...

so how's shopping in BKK? Any luck with brands like our legacy, ervell, norse etc?

American Rag has dropped Our Legacy, so don't know if there's anywhere that stocks it now Same with Ervell. There's a nice store off soi 63 called Onion that stocks Norse Projects and some other neat labels (Battenwear, National Athletic Goods, Velva Sheen, Shoes Like Pottery/Doek) that's worth visiting

• 1 month later...

anyone have suggestions for a nice hotel to stay at?

we are 3 dudes, travelling to bkk for the weekend end of this month.

which locations should we ideally look at for nightlife?

For you guys coming into town, stay anywhere on Sukhumvit Rd. around the Nana or Asoke area. Depending on your budget, you can find something to suit your taste. Westin, Grand Sukhumit Sheraton are around the Asok intersection. 

Soi 11 Sukhumvit has aLoft which is a Starwood property. Plenty of clubs and bars on that street. Levels goes til morning. Crowd here are tourists, Thai Indians, expats, Euros, etc. 

Locals mostly party in Thong Lo on Soi 10 at Muse, Funky Villa, etc. Not bad but easier if you have locals taking you in. 

If you want to go sleazier then go to Climax at the bottom of the Ambassador Hotel also on Soi 11. Also goes til 5am. That's the after hours joint where all the working girls go to after they clock out around midnight or 2am, depending on where they work. 

Find it strange seeing so many suggestions here to stay in Nana / Patpong,

both horrible areas that should only be visited if you're looking for prostitutes.

I find Thonglor, Ekamai and other parts of Sathorn much nicer.  Currently staying in Nana for a short period of time and finding it quite difficult, nowhere to eat, decent coffee shops, or nice places to be found anywhere, if anyone does know of any please let me know, street food / healthy-ish stuff ideally, I'm mainly looking for thai stuff / japanese not burgers / german / western etc.

Anyway, I'm here for 3 months for work and am looking for some good vintage stuff,

similar to some of the better stalls in spitafield market, maybe on a mistermort / procell vibe,

ie: weird tee shirts, dungaree's, levis, old band tee's,some french stuff, and maybe some old branded stuff.

If anyone could point me in the direction of some interesting or unusual vintage shops would be incredible.

Also just a note for any photographers, on the ground store of MBK there's a fantastic photo shop called fotofile,

with a great selection of film / analog equipment, also a great, affordable lab in Ekamai called IQ (one of the best in thailand).

- update

Did a little exploring the other day and found some decent vintage shops in Ekamai, soi 10 in the ekamai mall. There's a record shop. second hand shop of mostly shirting with some well priced Comme, Agnes B, R. Newbold, Ralphie etc. A little place next door with some great old band tee's, odd hats, levis etc and a place up front with some nice boots, loafers etc. EM mall is pretty weak but checked out Beams (average) and a few others, there's a shop next door selling PAM, Norse, YMC etc. if that's your thing, and on the other side a shop with a really good denim selection and lots of brands like ironheart etc. Still looking for more!

Edited by NOBUYOSHI