thailand :: bangkok :: general

sepia007

anyone ever get scammed in thailand? i feel like there are tons of ppl trying to take advantage of tourists there.

goes without saying most folks want to get in on that farang money. easier if you have thai people with you or if you can speak the language sans accent, then they won't rip you off or what. if neither is a possibility then that just be careful, barter, and don't jump on things right away.

there're signs in certain parts of bangkok warning you about scammers, most notably within vicinity of the royal palace. keep an eye out haha

Edited by gndm

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, bangkok is my favorite place ever. If you're into vegetarian/vegan food I suggest Banglamphu district near Khao San road (if you're into markets/bizarre clothing). The nightlife in this area is amazing as well, tons of students and young travelers.

anyone ever get scammed in thailand? i feel like there are tons of ppl trying to take advantage of tourists there.

ughhh, a little bit. some random lady came up to my and was complimenting me and offering her 'aid' in regards to tourist locations etc. I figured she was trying to scam me in some way, I later saw her doing the same thing to other young girls.

• 3 weeks later...

Do be careful especially in touristy areas like the Grand Palace or the River Cruise areas. They generally want a quick buck from foreigners, but if you are polite in rejecting them, they are generally harmless. Do your research, if a river cruise costs about $10 bucks, then you know a scam is happening if they quote you for about $50. Avoid all jewelry sales where they want to bring you somewhere. Always not recommended.

Other than this Bangkok is amazing. Food, night markets, shopping. And they stock amazing vintage stuffs. People are very nice as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Going to Thailand next week for a month. Can anyone recommend any cool must-see shops in Bangkok? Vintage clothing ones and generally cheap ones would be great as I don't have a lot of money to spend. Not really sure what market to go to while I'm there either.

While I'm at it, anything anyone thinks is a must-do in Thailand in general?

Going to Thailand next week for a month. Can anyone recommend any cool must-see shops in Bangkok? Vintage clothing ones and generally cheap ones would be great as I don't have a lot of money to spend. Not really sure what market to go to while I'm there either.

While I'm at it, anything anyone thinks is a must-do in Thailand in general?

Take5 in Siam Squre (inside Lido) is a great shop and there are loads of cool little independent shops around Siam Square. below are a couple links to help you locate some shops I found useful. Chatachuk is the ultimate market experience but be prepared to hunt out the good stuff.

Also check out asiateque, it's a evening/night place that's got 2or 3 nice vintage shops and some cool thai brands. Plenty places to eat there. 

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/10-vintage-shopping.htm

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/siam-vintage.htm

Enjoy BKK its my favourite city!

Take5 in Siam Squre (inside Lido) is a great shop and there are loads of cool little independent shops around Siam Square. below are a couple links to help you locate some shops I found useful. Chatachuk is the ultimate market experience but be prepared to hunt out the good stuff.

Also check out asiateque, it's a evening/night place that's got 2or 3 nice vintage shops and some cool thai brands. Plenty places to eat there. 

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/10-vintage-shopping.htm

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/siam-vintage.htm

Enjoy BKK its my favourite city!

Thanks for the advice! I can't wait to go! Any advice on the best way to get around the city? Also, Khao San Road - good, bad, fun? Do you know roughly prices of clothes there from the types of shops you mentioned or are the prices all over the place?

If you're buying genuine vintage and Japanese made clothes they will still be  pricey but cheaper than western prices. If your buying tshirts shirts etc from thai brands prices can be as low as 8gbp! Honestly there's plenty of shopping for all budgets, you don't need to worry! in the markets always haggle politely they expect it. As for travel you cannot go wrong with the skytrain (BTS) cheap clean incredibly efficient. Taxis are pointless due to the traffic. 

I never did khao san but have heard it's good fun

• 4 months later...

Next to Normal in Central World started carrying Sophnet and Uniform Experiment, and Sacai as well, though they've dropped a few brands (namely Silent Damir Doma). Place seems to be doing well, and they're currently having a sale.

Outcast store moved, they're now in the same part of Siam Square as Take 5, since Siam Vintage is currently under repair. They got a whole bunch of boring streetwear like KTZ and stuff now.

Found a great vintage store in Siam Square, they had a bunch of APC and Acne denim, and actually some older Helmut Lang and Comme de Garçons stuff. Picked up a pair of Raf Velcros. Really eclectic mix of brands, everything from Gap and LL Bean to Helmut Lang. And they carried new streetwear stuff like Grind London and Demarcolab. Really cool store, not sure of the name, but again, it's in the same part of Siam Square as Take 5.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend some good local designer/brands? Going to Thailand in a week and will stay a couple nights in bangkok before heading to Krabi. Looking for local brands and perhaps some cheap and decent denim. Any tips would be appreciated. If you got anything on krabi, I'd be delighted to hear about it too :)

• 2 weeks later...

the more mainstream brands are probably still greyhound, playhound. realistic situation was good back in 08. not sure about now.

visit jj market and siam square. lots of local designer stuff there in my opinion. Central world has been better than before so you should check it out too!

heading to bkk for a wedding in Jan, what's new since 2010?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next To Normal has a webstore!

Honestly one of my favorite stores in South East Asia

Also does anyone have any other stores worth checking out in Siam Square, outside the 2nd floor of the cinema block?

Really only know Preduce and Sneaker Villa, not really a fan of either. 

Either local labels or international/mult-label boutiques

Touched down today, unsure of what I'm going to do, but definitely want to make the most of any sales going on here. Apparently Battenwear is stocked by the Isetan here, so I'll have to check it out. Also, might have mentioned this already, but Pronto Denim in Central World stocks Nigel Cabourn now! Will definitely check in to see if they have any new stock (crossing my fingers for a Cameraman). Will also be checking out Next to Normal, Club 21/Blackjack, and of course Jatujak and Siam Square.

Anywhere else I should check out? Any specific stores in Siam square? I'll probably just be sticking around the movie theater building. 

Edited by Deux_Oiseaux

Honestly it's no big deal unless you're trying to get around by taxi, which would be silly anyway. Skytrain is unaffected, and the sidewalks, though flooded with stalls, are still easy to navigate.

I think it's great: even in the midst of a protest, everyone's still out to capitalize on it and make some money. I bought a polo because the red, white and blue detailing reminded me of Thom Browne.

Also, for those interested in Siam Square, sadly the vintage section is still under repair.

Edited by Deux_Oiseaux

Came across two good vintage stores today: Triple Stitched and Wooden Submarine.

Both definitely worth checking out if you're into the vintage americana/workwear/militaria style.

Lots of old RRL, Levi's, Haversack, vintage Paraboot, Alden, Red Wing, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Wooden Submarine is rather pricy though, but they do carry new clothing as footwear as well, they're the only Yuketen stockist I know of in South-East Asia.

Also, for anyone in BKK right now

Paradise Bangkok Special! Tomorrow night! Wed 19.02.2014 at Moose Bangkok Ekamai 21 : Live 3 Piece Acoustic Set by The Paradise Bangkok Molam International Band! Follow by an Afro-Asian set from Djs Maft Sai & Masa Niwayama 10pm til 2 : FREE ENTRY!
event page :https://www.facebook.com/events/1404522613135032/
— with Zud Rangma.

oW4kzlZ.jpg

Hopefully I'll see you there!