thailand :: bangkok :: general

sepia007

I'm eager to learn new sources. Where are these Thai selvage denim best found?

In the same places noted above, or can anyone be specific about premium shops for premium denim???

I'm eager to learn new sources. Where are these Thai selvage denim best found?

In the same places noted above, or can anyone be specific about premium shops for premium denim???

chatachuk. seeing as you live in thailand, your bargining skills should be good enough to bring it down to 250 bht a pair, thats what i paid.

Actually, my family is here while I work there. BUT, I'm in for just over a week. Chatruchak is clearly the motherlode, but these little shops in Siam Square had slipped from my awareness. I'll go explore them after the weekend. That's why I asked about any places beyond the "usual suspect" -- which is clearly Chatruchak. But Thanks for the tip on pricing. 250 Bht for respectable denim? Wow! (And I just ordered Sammie blacks... w/o regrets!)

I just got in last night, and we're doing a garden/yard/pool party right now. Final preps done. Friends arriving within the next hour or so. Running the music off iTunes to speakers in the garden.

Cheers! Thanks for tips. And Happy Holidays!

Poly, I'll be here. Not going anywhere soon. Heading back to the states early next year for a few weeks and will be in DC and NYC.

Hey, let me know in advance when you get back to Bangkok. Maybe this time we can pace ourselves a bit better rather than packing everything into your last 8hrs in the city.

Wow! What a nice evening. Dutch, South African, Myanma/Burmese, Indian, Thai, Nepali, Canadian, a couple of Americans. A nice mix of old friends, plus a few new ones (parents of daughter’s pals). Bangkok is nice because such a wonderful mix of friends is “normalâ€.

I'm sliding under the table...:P g'nite!

Serge, glad you had a good time. Hopefully next time we can touch base :)

Luckily, I was in Chiang Mai for the holidays so avoided the disruption caused by the bombings. It's suspected that Taksin supporters are trying to discredit the current PM by creating instability throughout the capital. Homemade bombs were placed mostly in rubbish bins around seven locations in BKK. 2 deaths resulted.

With the recent flip flop in the Thai capital markets and now this, it seems that Thailand may be going through another tough period. Seng cote.

write up your experiences tweedles ;) i feel like bkk is overlooked by supershoppers - lots of decent local design going on in bkk.

on a side note. greyhound's newest season is a bunch of margiela copies- cableknit screens on shirts/bags/shoes, laceless brogues.... so if you want cheaper margiela get some of this season's greyhound!

i regrettably did not make it to suan lum yet AGAIN... but there was a report of a bomb there so i guess that's a good thing.

I just got back from bangkok on the 31st; had 4 days there, it was quite a blast. my pickups included stuff from both ends of the spectrum: swears, maharishi and cdg from blackjack, and super cheap belts, tees, converses and shirts from siamsquare/chattuchak. MBK doesnt really impress me much, and I refuse to buy denim from bangkok because 1.bangkok is filled with replica goods (think abt it. $8USD for a pair of selvage denim levis?) 2. I've heard stories that the thais con people into paying good money for their "vintage" levis with nice fades, when actually they were just normal fake levis denim goods that were given to the thai rural villagers and taken back after months of wear and fading.

There was this one dude with a stall at chattuchak, located near the entrance (after the tattoo parlor) who sells tees that he designs and prints himself. the quality of the tees are pretty good, they dont shrink, and his designs are pretty nice. ive been to bangkok a couple of times and ive picked up a tee or two from him everytime i head down.

One recommendation I have is to pick up converse. Chucks and jacks go @ $ 17USD, and they sometimes have pretty insane colorways. And guaranteed authentic converse too.

Overall I would say that there's alot more stuff for girls to go crazy over. But tees are cheap, so fill your suitcases up with loads of tees and go home.

i wouldn't write off the denim in chatuchak- i've heard they have a good grassroots denim thing goin on there - and while i didn't want to bore my girlfriend the fake levi's were mighty nice.. and the fades on the levi's fake or not were nothing short of amazing- better than almost everything i've seen in the denim evolution thread.

standard tshirt quality has gone way way down from years past. i have tshirts from 7 years ago that are still great - when some of the shirts i bought last year fell apart in a few months. then again it depends on who you are buying from. and as i said there's lots of cool locally designed stuff if you look...

We were staying on Sukhumvit, about 15 blocks away from one of the bombs. We were at Astra (miserable place) when the bombs went off. The bombings didn't seem to cramp anyones style though. It didn't seem that the bombers wanted to endanger anone, but people are always walking around in those areas that were bombed.

• 2 months later...

You know, you guys are real assholes...I apologize on behalf of the others for being so sarcastic...

Don't come to Thailand. It's really polluted and dirty. The food is terrible. Like really bad and I'm talking about explosive diarrhea.

The girls are ugly and I mean disgusting. Broke-ass. Crooked.

There's also nothing much to do. No nightlife whatsoever.

Man, it's such a shitty day at the office today.......seng cote....

You know, you guys are real assholes...I apologize on behalf of the others for being so sarcastic...

Don't come to Thailand. It's really polluted and dirty. The food is terrible. Like really bad and I'm talking about explosive diarrhea.

There's also nothing much to do. No nightlife whatsoever.

Man, it's such a shitty day at the office today.......seng cote....

Is this sarcasm at work?

the girls are ugly because they're guys. but i think you probably figured that out the hard way.

oh and explosive diarrhea is a great way to fit into dior jeans though...

• 7 months later...

Sukhumvit is a long, long street (it apparently runs right to the Cambodian border) that is the heart of new Bangkok. The big malls are nearby, lots of hotels around it, the skytrain runs over it. There is an Arab section which is wildly exotic and cool, a Japanese neighborhood, a plush glitterati area around Thonglor and lots of hookers/red lights around Nana. And street food, souvenir markets throughout. Its hella fun.

Its also not very historic, and far from the river and the palace and other sightseeing places.

I never understand why people go to Thailand and then skip out of Bangkok after a few days....BKK is one of the coolest,craziest cities in the world. Its intense sure, but thats the charm. I could spend weeks there. Beaches are nice, but I would rather spend a week in one of the world"s most happening cities, and then a weekend at the beach, rather than the other way round? Like flying to the US and spending a weekend in NY, before heading for a couple of weeks in San Diego!

In BKK you can see; palaces, temples, golden Buddhas, reclining Buddhas, Emerald buddhas, real elephants walking the city streets on speed, the biggest market in the world, some of the plushest malls in the world, some of the wildest nightlife in the world, the most famous travellers street in the world (Khao San Road), ALL Thai celebrities, skyscrapers shaped like robots, skyscrapers shaped like elephants, temples shaped like boats, boats shaped like garudas, the mummy of a dead cannibal, a golden shrine to David Beckham, a Chinatown, an Indian town, two Japanese neighborhoods, an Arab neighborhood, an Afrian neighborhood (!!), a 17-storey statue of a three headed elephant, a real-life crocodile with six legs, an all-white nightclub full of beds....

GIVE BANGKOK more than a few days!!!!