thailand :: bangkok :: general

sepia007

Siam paragon had a great food court and im sure Louis Vuitton was in the mall to. Not sure on apple retailer I think there were two in Siam Discovery but will stand corrected. all in same area, pretty much next door to each other and both as well as Siam Centre worth a peep.

hope this helps

Siam paragon had a great food court and im sure Louis Vuitton was in the mall to. Not sure on apple retailer I think there were two in Siam Discovery but will stand corrected. all in same area, pretty much next door to each other and both as well as Siam Centre worth a peep.

hope this helps

Thank you, fine sir!

• 5 weeks later...

Baiyoke Tower II seems to be a good choice. Its location is near the shopping district and it's the tallest building of the country.

If you're on budget, check out their apartments, they have tonnes of them.

can anyone recommend some hotels in bangkok?

or at least a good area of bangkok to be staying in - conveniently located, etc?

I would stay somewhere close to the skytrain. You might want to check out hotels in the Asok area, which directly on Sukhumvit. This puts you near a lot of street food and night life. In the area is the Westin, Sheraton, and Millennium Hilton.

If you want a place more boutique-ish there's the Dream Hotel and Eugenia Hotel, both also on Sukhumvit.

Another area that is still directly in the city center but a little quieter is Sathorn, which is also the financial district. There's the Sukhothai, which is my favorite hotel in the city, and Banyan Tree, which is one the tallest buildings in the city. Vertigo and Moon Bar in the Banyan Tree are excellent places for drinks at night.

thanks a lot guys, there's so much information & so much shit to do in bangkok (& thailand generally) it's hard to process it all.

sukhothai was our first choice but we decided to go a bit cheaper as bangkok is the first place we visit (on a 3 week trip). at the moment we are tossing up between the LUXX XL or the metropolitan - they both seem fairly central & nice (leaning towards the LUXX XL).

are the supermaps for bangkok still really up to date at all? i remember reading in this thread a while back things had changed a lot/during the protests, etc..

• 5 weeks later...

So we came home from a month in Thailand in the beginning of January.. Thanks to you guys we ended up in Siam Paragon where we copped a lot of stuff. I'd like to recommend a really nice restaurant we ate at one night though.

So if you are looking for somewhere nice to dine, I'd recommend to check out Face.. Awesome furnishing and great food :)

It's on Sukhumvit Soi 38 I think!

Link: http://www.facebars.com/en/bangkok/restaurant/

Pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=87890&id=89393356403

A little bit pricey but deffo worth it...

• 2 months later...

Moving to BK in the middle of June. Have a friend that teaches and does some magazine editing/writing-- don't know what the chances are of me getting a job doing editing/writing/photography, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Anyway, if anybody wants to chill in June, I'm down to grab a beer (or ten), take some pictures, wander the city, etc...

• 4 weeks later...

Planning a tentative month long trip all over Thailand, starting in Bangkok next March -- can someone tell me, I know it's the very start of the hot season, but is it unbearably hot in March/April? Like, danger-to-pale-and-wimpy-Canadians-hot? Like I won't come out alive?

Thankssss!

Planning a tentative month long trip all over Thailand, starting in Bangkok next March -- can someone tell me, I know it's the very start of the hot season, but is it unbearably hot in March/April? Like, danger-to-pale-and-wimpy-Canadians-hot? Like I won't come out alive?

Thankssss!

check david thompson's restaurant in the metropolitan hotel. his thai restaurant in london was the first/only thai restaurant to receive a michelin star.

nahm is also very impressive.

long table was cool. skybar or whatever at lebua was gimmicky but pretty impressive at sunset.

go shopping @ siam paragon et al.

can't remember much else off the top of my head, was there in feb.

steer clear of lang suan.

Thanks for the ideas. Paragon is good. I preferred Great World or whatever it's called - but that was a few years back. The weekend market that I won't try to spell is great for young Thai designers, if you can find them among all the I love BKK toursit T-shirts. Ask is... MKK / M something something (near Paragon and Siam Square).

Checked out Sirocco; checked out Vertigo. Both world class, I guess.

Skipped Chatuchuk (sp) and all the sights, as I've done them to death on previous trips. i guess Chat' would have been worth another look but hey.

Went out one night to a bar/club called Demo, next to Funky something. Pretty cool and pretty people.

^ What are good bars/clubs to hit up in Bangkok, where the locals actually go? All my buddies wanna go to the red light strip clubs but they be open to suggestions. Can I have a good time w/o speaking thai?

Also I remember stumbling upon a lane filled with rows upon rows of brothels, not unlike geylang's back alley. Is this the famous soi cowboy?

DJ_F: Demo had more fit girls that Filter and no door policy (because we were foreign? No idea).

Tricky to find so get a full address for the taxi driver. Lots of other clubs nearby if you want a little explore.

A lot of people speak English I think. You can have fun. Beware, most clubs close at 2. There are places that go on longer but I don't know them.

Soi Cowboy is a strip ofgirly bars / brothels. Nana Plaza is a shopping mall with the same stuff (seedier I think - if that's possible).

I've been to Bed Supperclub, too. Expensive and touristy but still good fun if you go for dinner and move to the bar. Google it though and know what you're getting yourself into. Super tongue in cheek avante garde entertainment and reasonable food.

If I went again, I'd go to Demo though instead.

You should visit Sirocco and/or Vertigo. Just for 1 drink to see the view/opulance. to be honest, you can get up without buying a drink too if you are short on cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I planning on Thailand trip sept 1 to 25th. First time ever in SE Asia. Primarily wife and I wanna be on a beautiful beach for a couple weeks but I really want to see/eat/smell Thailand...not just sit in the pool at a resort. I would love to get an idea of what to do while in Bangkok. Good place to stay? All recommendations appreciated...Bangkok or Thailand in general. My tastes for context: love shopping for denim, tshirts etc, love cheap eats, adventurous food (authentic), like boutique type accommodations but don't want to spend over 70-80 USD per night unless I'm on a beautiful white sandy beach. Our plan was to head to Samui and Tao for at least two weeks of our three week stay.

so i'm trying to find decent budget accommodation, max around 20$ per person that is located close by to everything (sightseeing, nightlife, transport, river boat etc) and that has a social atmosphere to it. not too fussed about pool, wifi and so forth. i've done some research and have cut it down to the below. which would you guys recommend in regards to the above conditions? i'm not too sure about a dorm room. most of the time we'll be partying and coming back late.. don't want to disturb the other people in the dorm.

alternatively, if there is another place that fits the above conditions, by all means please do recommend me them.

1. Hotel_Review-g293916-d1793573-Reviews-NapPark_Hostel_Khao_San-Bangkok.html

(dorm room)

2. Hotel_Review-g293916-d1471647-Reviews-Khao_San_Palace_Inn-Bangkok.html

(deluxe twin)

3. Hotel_Review-g293916-d1009710-Reviews-Take_a_Nap_Hotel-Bangkok.html

(dorm room)

4. Hotel_Review-g293916-d1891757-Reviews-Lub_d_Bangkok_Siam_Square-Bangkok.html

(econo twin)

i think i'm liking lub d, nappark and khao san palace the most. although lub d seems to be a bit further away from khao san road. how easy is it to get to khao san road from lub d? also, how far is RCA from khao san road?

• 1 month later...