thailand :: bangkok :: general

sepia007

• 4 months later...
Will be in BKK for a few days in a couple of weeks. First time visit. Anyone know of any decent (vinyl) records stores there?

I'm into a broad range of stuff, but i guess funk, soul, hip-hop, disco, early house. More interested in s/h, but will take what i can get. Cheers

ask analyst, but check out RCA for club action

Will be in BKK for a few days in a couple of weeks. First time visit. Anyone know of any decent (vinyl) records stores there?

I'm into a broad range of stuff, but i guess funk, soul, hip-hop, disco, early house. More interested in s/h, but will take what i can get. Cheers

Bangkok doesn't have a lot of record stores that sell vinyl. Jazzbah Records in Siam Square Soi 4 is probably the most established one. Overall vinyl selection is pretty limited. And the costs just a lot of aspiring DJs away from vinyl. In clubs most locals who spin at Club Culture (Victory Monument) or Breaks (small D&B/breakbeat club in Silom Soi 2/1) bring their own CD-Rs.

That said, I've seen small kiosks in the Suan Lum Night Bazaar where some guy has a few crates of vinyl with surprisingly a decent selection of jazz records. You'll also find the random guy and vinyl crates at the Chatujak Market on the weekends. Lots of indie records. I wouldn't be surprised if you find some vinyl in MBK (BTS: National Stadium).

What are good bars/clubs to go to? Good music or good dance tunes would be prefered... All I know is route66 and it seemed more like a chill bar than a club.

Will be going in december :cool:

yo watch out for the lady-boys

!!!!

went to some tranny cabaret show of lady-boys for laughs, was the scariest shit ever

• 2 weeks later...

a bkk noob question:

where are the thai fake levis at? i have seen some dudes wearing some nice slim fake levis (selvedge), definitely slimmer cut than regular 501s.

anyone know where i can get a pair. checked MBK today, only managed to find two pairs of dodgy 47 copies. maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but they definitely don't seem as ubiquitous as people were making them out to be a couple of years ago. maybe there's been a crackdown?

anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated. i'm enjoying the city so far.

I was going to say that MBK should have them, but I'm not sure where exactly. You might want to check with Largo or Poly. I believe both of them know exactly where to look.

You may also ask the couple at Tanner Lee and Na, who sell imported Japanese repro denim on the first floor of MBK.

If you're still here tomorrow, you definitely find them at the Chatuchak Market at Mo Chit BTS stop. You would want to go here during the weekends. Sunday morning is a good time to go.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

t01_22901119.jpg

On around the anniversary of last year's protests, this year the situation has gotten much worse with no chance of compromise in sight between the government and protesters. Last night, the crackdown started around the Khao San backpackers street after a single shot was fired from either the gov or protester's side. So far, it seems that after last night there are 18 dead including a Japanese cameraman from Reuters and 807 injured.

Perhaps it's unsurprising that all this is taking place right before Thailand's biggest holiday, Songkran, which starts on Monday. The protesters are largely from the poor Isaan area in the northeast and are being used as cannon fodder by a small cadre looking to pressure the PM to dissolve parliament for new elections. For the most part, the government is supported by those in Bangkok, the educated professionals and the urbanites.

This year, Bangkok's main shopping district has been closed for over a week as protesters have been camped around the Rajapasong and close to the Siam Square areas, much to the dismay of most Bangkok citizens. So Siam Paragon, Central World, Erawan, Gaysorn, Central Chitlom, Siam Discovery, Take 5 and Siam Center have been closed (MBK open).

This link to photos taken by the AP are some of the most riveting that I've seen so far:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/unrest_in_thailand.html

This youtube vid also captures the chaos last night when the first shot rang out in the Khao San/Victory Monument Area:

I'm leaving for HK for a week on Monday to wait out all the chaos in BKK. I'm just praying that the airport stays open til then. A week ago, the security leading to the airport seemed pretty airtight when I picked up my wife, who was coming back from the states: three army checkpoints. But then again, the reds are getting more desperate and have overran several police positions in the last few days. I'm hoping this all ends soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

yo, sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but i just moved to bangkok and have a few questions.

first, where would be a good place to go for reasonable quality cheap khakis/chinos (preferably slim fitting)?

second, where's good for nightlife now? i'm living near the suttisan mrta stop right now while i do my tefl so anything close to there would be especially awesome but i don't mind travelling. just don't want to end up locked into going to khao san all the time which is what a lot of westerners seem to end up doing.

and if anyone here wants to meet up i'd be down. i'm planning to be here for at least 6 months and more likely a year. hit me up.

yo, sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but i just moved to bangkok and have a few questions.

first, where would be a good place to go for reasonable quality cheap khakis/chinos (preferably slim fitting)?

second, where's good for nightlife now? i'm living near the suttisan mrta stop right now while i do my tefl so anything close to there would be especially awesome but i don't mind travelling. just don't want to end up locked into going to khao san all the time which is what a lot of westerners seem to end up doing.

and if anyone here wants to meet up i'd be down. i'm planning to be here for at least 6 months and more likely a year. hit me up.

Get your khakis at the Gap, just recently opened at Paragon and Emporium! Fresh chinos! hehe

Plenty of fun to be had around Suttisan. You're very close to Ratchada/Huay Kwang, so check out any of the clubs around Soi 6, Soi 4 and Soi 8. The crowd is a little rough and very local. On the plus side, you won't have to deal with any pretentious attitudes in these places. Just don't get into a fight with anyone :)

There's actually an awesome undercover restaurant/pick up joint directly on Suttisan Rd. Opens at 11pm and goes til 5am. Looks and feels like a restaurant but lots more going on in this place. I think they throw in a free room before midnight.

Good luck out there and go get'em!

MTM?........

Hey poly. Good to see you again. When are you back in SEA?

Just got back from Hanoi and HCMC. These cities have changed so much in the last few years.

Hanoi was extremely charming but a little sleepy for my tastes. HCMC was a lot of fun. I didn't venture outside of District 1, though.

• 2 weeks later...

it's not just a lot of the stores. everything will have to move before long. the whole area is being level to build new shops, condos, offices, and even the new Aussie embassy will be built behind the japanese embassy.

this has been going on for a very long time but in the past 2 months i have watched them take down numerous buildings.

sucks shit because my boxing gym will have to move again.

it's not just a lot of the stores. everything will have to move before long. the whole area is being level to build new shops, condos, offices, and even the new Aussie embassy will be built behind the japanese embassy.

this has been going on for a very long time but in the past 2 months i have watched them take down numerous buildings.

sucks shit because my boxing gym will have to move again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I' m off to Bangkok for three days early November as the start of a trip and was hoping to hit a few shops whilst I was there. I was wondering if anyone local (or a recent visitor) could give me an update on the status of the major streetwear/skate shops?

Ive read modified closed a few years back and that possibly manga and playground followed suit not long after.

I seem to been coming across fairly old threads on most forums and as much as it seems that there used to be a decent selection around Siam square it seems I may of missed most of it?

Brands of interest would be Futura/Undftd/Supreme/Stussy/Bape/Nike/NB

Thanks in advance Matt

• 1 month later...

Just got back before the UK snow...:( spent 3 days in Bangkok, 3 days in Chang Mai, and 8 days in Samui. Each had their merits... Bangkok was awesome but I wouldn't describe it as chilled... Chang Mai was my favorite spot, chilled enough, loads of good places to eat, only thing it lacked was a beach, if i was going back I would definitely explore the North of the country more. Samui was super chilled, but I found it a little to isolated for me, the main places were Cheweng and Lamai but both were very geared to tourists but if you after bars and a beech maybe worth a look.

I was out there on my honeymoon so probably not looking for the same sort of thing but hope it helps

It was an amazing place and had a great two weeks, the drive back from Heathrow airport in the snow last Saturday was a true shock to the system :(

going with my girlfriend for two weeks, then meeting up with some friends for the last week.

all i've got planned so far is a flight in and out of bangkok.

not looking for anything too 'touristy', etc, just nice places to go.