French cuffs: jacket required?

Panda-san

Like the title says, I wanted to see what everyone thought about this. Is it acceptable to wear a French cuff shirt casually without a jacket?

Only with a tie IMO. With the shirt un-buttoned, a french cuff shirt looks odd IMO. But there are no hard, fast rules.

I think french cuffs should be reserved for wearing with jackets. They just don't look right to me without a jacket. I actually had this conversation today at work because a coworker was wearing a shirt with french cuffs and no jacket and I mentioned it to another co worker that I didn't think it looked good. She kinda looked at me like why do you care... needless to say I didn't mention SuFu to her.

It depends on the shirt. I think a shirt like the one below looks good without a tie. The button collar and slim fit body help keep it looking clean.

AED17381a.jpg

Wow. That looks like complete shit.

traditionalists say no. only with a jacket and tie.

dumadiscount say yes. here in australia everyone does it sans jacket or tie, although australians are backwards anyways. there are much bigger fashion crimes than wearing a french cuff shirt without a jacket. so i say fuck it. only the snootiest of snootwads would pull you up on this.

are you asking b/c you just bought a french cuff shirt on final sale?

Actually, I was shopping for new cuff links earlier, and I found some really nice ones at Emporio Armani. They weren't as "dressy" as a lot of the ones I'd been looking at, and it got me thinking about how casual you could go with French cuffs.

I don't do it personally, but I see a lot of people now wearing jackets with tee shirts and jeans, and I thought, why not French cuffs with no jacket?

I think it would work, with a tie...

Young people in Denmark arent as dressy as most others, therefor we almost never wear jackets, only the shirts and a tie...

but a french cuffed shirt without ANYTHING would look very strange to me, would look like somebody is trying to be cool, but failed miserably.

Does the shirt in the pic have a button-down collar? I know Thom Browne does some oxford shirts with button-down collars and french cuffs, but I think they look awkward/trying too hard. French cuffs go better with a firmer collar with at least a little spread.

If you really like the cufflinks, you could just remove the button on your barrel cuffs and poke a hole through, like Costanza.

I only wear french cuffs with jackets but tie is optional. Frankly I almost never wear a tie without a jacket, unless I'm wearing some sort of sweater and I'm going for a university professor look or something. Sometimes I'm guilty of doing the shirt+thin leather tie+leather jacket but this has nothing to do with french cuffs....

IMO, unless you have the "rolled-up sleeves, having fun after office" look, a tie sans jacket is just wrong.

Not trying to flame or anything but do you guys work in an office environment?

Even if I did wear a suit to work (which I don't), I wouldn't sit around all day wearing the jacket - I'd take it off and hang it up. Now there's an argument for me putting on the jacket every time I leave my desk to go somewhere but most times, if I'm leaving the office, I already have my coat on so it doesn't matter if I'm wearing a jacket or not.

Long story short - a jacket is not required.

If you're wearing it say, out on the town, I definitely vote for with jacket. If you're in an office environment you should be wearing a tie.

IMO, french cuffs without tie and jacket is like a tuxedo jacket with khakis or something like that. I've seen too many "bros" who wear untucked shirts with french cuffs and popped collar with loud stripes and untastefully distressed bootlegs at clubs with a "dress code".