portugal :: general

vinc3

so i'm heading for the algarve next week. any recommendations on which town i should go to, i'm looking for the best beach basically. i'm leaning to lagos because it comes most recommended by all guide books but tavira sounds a little more peaceful. faro's there just cause that's where the airport is.

so anybody got any superfuture reccomendations for any of these towns? particularly accomodations. thanks.

peace

Hi,

You should check out Carvoeiro as well. It's been some time since I was there last but I just loved the scenic relatively uncrowded beach and good places to eat nearby.

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...

i went to tavira in september, it was great... faro is a nice sleepy town with flamingo (or stork?) nests on churchtops... tavira is good because there is a really nice beach, ilha de tavira, just take a funny little boat out there. but beware of the ocean where it says 'dangerous swimming' because two people drowned when i was there! if you go out of the tourist season the hotel rooms are cheaper. and there is an excellent fish restaurant but i forget the name, anyway it's probably too late.....

• 1 year later...

i'll be there from 19th to 23th of may..

any shops, clubs or spots to check out?

i'm into silas, perks and mini, visvim and sneaker stuff..

please let me know which shops are interesting in this area!

any help is much appreciated!

thanks in advance,

ks20

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure of any spots to check out cause I didn't get the chance to do that when I was there but I have one very important tip: Get a translator of some sort (electronic or human being is preferable). I lived in Spain for 2 years and thought I could get away with my sketchy Spanish in Portugal...but I couldn't be more wrong. Portugese has got to be on of the hardest languages to understand and attempting to pronounce the words correctly is just not worth trying...

Portugal, officially the Portuguese Republic (in Portuguese, República Portuguesa; pron. IPA [ʁɛ'puβlikɐ puɾtu'ɣezɐ]) is located in southwestern Europe, west parts of the Iberian Peninsula, and is the westernmost country in continental Europe. Portugal is bordered by Spain to the north and east and by the Atlantic Ocean to the west and south. In addition, Portugal includes two archipelagos in the Atlantic, Azores (Açores) and Madeira Islands.

Portugal has witnessed a constant flow of different civilizations during the past 3,100 years. Iberian, Tartessian, Celtic, Phoenician and Carthaginian, Greek, Roman, Germanic (Suevi and Visigoth), Semitic (Arabic, Jewish, etc.), Moorish and other cultures have all made an imprint on the country's culture, history, language and ethnic make up. The naming of Portugal itself reveals most of the country's early history, stemming from the Roman name Portus Cale, possibly a Latin name mixed with other influences, meaning "Beautiful Port". During the 15th and 16th centuries, Portugal was the major economic, political, and cultural power, its empire stretching from Brazil to the Indies.

i was in portugal for the euro 2004 upset.

lisbon is a nice city, but i would advise against going to the algavre. too many germans and brits, and not the types that you would like either...

bairro alto is the place to go.

• 3 years later...

I will be going to Lisbon, Portugal for a good 5 days, and Faro for another 5 and was wondering if anyone knows what some hype spots are for Shopping, food, Clubs, Hanging out, etc. I am fairly open minded to any activity, so holler if anything rings a bell.

I am a huge electronic music Junkie: Dubstep, Trip hop, Electro, House, Nu-Jazz, Ambient down tempo... you name it!

Any cool LP stores, general design stores?

I am also into Brands like Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair, Henrik Vibskov, Ksubi, J Lindenberg, Peoples Market, Petar Petrov, Material Boy, Buddhist Punk, Chronicles of Never

So feel free if you have some suggestions! Anything, food, you name it!

Cheers,

-Amilli

Guest sousvide

Lisbon is a great city. I was there for a few a week in April. I was backpacking, so I was on a tight budget. I stayed in hostels there, but the crazy thing was Lisbon has like 4 of the Top 10 hostels in the world. They were incredibly nice and reasonably priced. Each floor was decorated by a different designer.

As far as food goes, you have to eat "natas" tarts, they are similiar to chinese egg tarts but on another level. Day trip from Lisbon to Blenhem for the original maker of the tarts. I can;t remember the name, but the main food market down on the ocean is really incredible. All the different influences of portugese cuisine can be seen there. Wicked seafood. If I were to go back I would defientely check out this restaurant

You mentioned you are going to Faro? howcome? I visted Faro for a weekend but then decided to check out Lagos. Lagos was a little more touristy but, had way better beaches and was a great place to party. I hear that the best beaches are on the south west coast.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Cool man, that helps out a lot!

I will be in Faro initially for an international Trampoline match, training and competing most of the day, but i am sure some nice time in the sun... so that is the Purpose of the trip... then i takeoff to Lisbon for a mini "vacation" if you will for 4 or 5 days, and already am staying at a Hotel, unfortunately... but next time i will for sure have some more freedom without the team, etc...

As far as food, i have heard good things... its a lot like spain in that you can find super cheap awesome street vendor food almost anywhere... and wonderful restaurants.

Thanks again for your help

-Amilli

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...