1890's Levi's on Ebay

johnmc

Is that a short story or an auction listing?

These are too old for my taste (not to mention too expensive) but they are pretty freaking amazing!

Denim Fanatismé.

The Arc - Hitting the selvage from August 1st 2005.

frogeyes: "dontcare, who cares."

xx01.gif

Don't you know how to read?

Try reading the entire auction listing as I said.

I think it is quite stupid to put them on eBay, the real money is still in Japan. The price change can be around 400%.

Denim Fanatismé.

xx01.gif

200.000$ wouldn't be unrealistic, I've heard some stories of deadstock 1914 pair going for something completely insane as well. The japanese sellers aren't on eBay, but people who will hook up with them are.

Denim Fanatismé.

xx01.gif

It's anybodys guess how much these will eventually go for, tho' it wouldn't surprise me if the reserve is $50,000. imo the sellers made 2 mistakes, they shouldn't have washed them and they should have had them authenticated by LS&Co - a letter of authentication would add to the value. I very much doubt that Levi's will let these leave the US.

th_shorthorn.jpg

Damn amazing. I can't believe the condition they're in. They look amazing. Yea those people are stupid for wearing and washing them, though. THey market the auction as though the winner is actually going to wear the jeans. Maybe for one hour in their whole life they will...

showbiz00ditc -> "and does levi's have any control over whether they leave the country? other than buying them theirselves."

Naturally they do not. This is all about which japanese sellers are on it. Ever heard of the warehouses in japan? ;)

I think there is a little chance that these are fake.

And you know, some collectors wears their jeans. I know for most of you spending this amount of cash on a single pair of jeans is insane, but everything today is bigger in Japan.

Serge is probably right about what the final price will be, though. :-)

EDIT: rebel_denim (261) US $12,000.00 May-13-05 20:37:52 PDT

Go serge, you can do it man :D

Denim Fanatismé.

xx01.gif

Edited by skecr8r on May 14, 2005 at 04:06 PM

What a crazy listing! I LOVE the fact the guy washed the jeans. Unbelievable.

Idon't think these jeans are as rare as our friend claims. Levi's already own several of this vintage, perhaps not as good condition but I wouldn't be sure, and certainly some earlier ones, which feature an earlier leather patch, and I know of others of similar vintage owned by collectors. And the $45,000 pair were a much rarer, early type which predated the 501 (those were the ones reissued as the Nevada something or other for $500 or so). Also, there are errors in his listing - early Levi's never had a red line in the selvage. BUT, on the other hand, I don't think I've EVER seen that pocket printing (with the racist wording!) on an actual pair of old Levi's.

I shall be watching the auction, and if you see a 'greenwichpaul' bidding on there you will know I've lost my mind!

racist wording on the pocket:

"FOR OVER 17 YEARS, Our Celebrated XX Blue Denim Copper Riveted Overalls have been before the public. THIS IS A PAIR OF THEM. They are positively superior to any in the United States, are made by white labor and enjoy the finest reputation. They are made of select nine ounce Amosken Denim, and sewed with the strongest linen thread. We shall thank you to carefully examine the sewing, finish, and fit. See that this pair bears the quality number with is XX and also our trademark. LEVI STRAUSS & CO. Cut full, honestly made"

"Anyone else notice that the guy whose selling these jeans bought a pair of fake 201s? "

DOn't you love eBay listings that say "I am not sure how old these jeans are"... but they still describe them as vintage! Maybe our $16,000 seller was trying to get his jeans as clean as the ones he just bought!

The 201s are my favourite reissues, though, I still regret missing a bunch of new ones on the 'bay - I have just one pair, unworn, that I'm saving for a special occasion, and of course they're not making them in SF anymore. The 201 is my favourite denim. I bumped into a guy that found 10 of them at TK Maxx for £20 each, and he auctions them off for five times that!

Rebel_denim:

"Hello there, it looks like you bought a counterfeit pair of Levi's 201's in a past auction. Seems kinda strange that you seemed to think they were real based on the + feedback you left for them."

oreaves:

Hello, they were a real "reproduction" pair...I bought them for a friend. We all still wear vintage jeans and the pair I picked up were a good reproduction pair and were what she wanted....hard to find the real deal at that price and still wear them daily...you know?

What an ass clown, can't even tell the difference between a real and a fake and he claims to have owned a bunch of vintage clothing stores!

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

why are REPRO Levis LVC faked? i can understand selling fakes as real pre-60s vintage to get $$ but i dont get why someone would fake reproductions (as there apparently seems to be a lot of on ebay).....if you had the means to make a decent pair of selvage denim jeans why not start your own label and make Levis clones like Denime, Sugarcane, Dry Bones etc? and are the fakers making a pair here and there or are they mass-producing them by the 100s, 1000s?

now regarding this ebay seller with the $15,000+ 1890s jeans buying a fake pair of 201s in a previous auction, am i right in assuming their fake-ness comes from the presence of the red tab, which the white cloth patch 201s didnt have? (i have a pair of white cloth patch repro 201xx and they are blue line selvage, not redline....is that historically accurate or not?)