malaysia :: kuala lumpur :: general

Dimman

The food is amazing.

Try Luna Bar on the 33rd floor of the Menara Pan Global/Pacific Regency hotel. My favourite place to drink in KL. Cheap too (by Australian standards).

There's a few quality vintage stores in BB plaza off Jln Bukit Bintang. As well as a very very well stocked design/architecture/interior design/fashion etc etc book and magazine store.

depends on which airport you coming in from (if youre coming from LCCT, fastest and cheapest to take the regular bus which costs RM8-9/USD2.5 it takes an hour to get to the city)

from KLIA airport, you can take the express rail (around RM30-40, taxi RM50-60, im not sure if theres a fast bus service though)

yea try the luna bar and the sky bar at traders hotel across from klcc. should go there around sunset. theres also this reggae bar in china town which has ridiculous cheap drinks.

in terms of food, theres some great places to eat. even the food court at malls are quite decent.

nightlife: changkat bukit bintang is happening on weekends. theres also zouk and jalan p ramlee.

lemme know when youll arrive in kl i might be able to show you around if im avail.

if you like islamic architecture and taking photos, theres this administration city in between the airport and KL called putrajaya. its quite a decent place to take photos.

• 7 months later...

Going to KL from 22nd December to 4th Jan, and HK in the middle 24th dec to 28th dec.

I'm wanting to check out the shopping places mentioned on this thread but should I save most of my shopping money for the HK trip? I've been to neither cities so not too sure.

Not really after high end designer labels, maybe a decent pair of raw selvedge jeans (>13oz) , some well fitting button up shirts and other casual wear. The list I have atm is:

Gardens Mall

KLCC

Petaling

Pavillion Bukit Bintang

Shuz Salon

Shuz Sports

Sungai Wang near Royale Bintang

Damachee

Bread and butter store at pavillion

Tenc at pavillion

Materiel at pavillion

Also I was thinking of checking out these places:

National Art Gallery

Islamic Arts Museum

KL bird park

Aquarium

Kanching Rainforest waterfall

Chinatown

Petronas Twin towers

Batu Caves

Orchard and Hibiscus gardens

Lunch at the Coliseum

Jungle walk

Meredeka square

Safari Lagoon rooftop water park

Kuala Lumpur tower

Any other suggestions or places I shouldnt visit?

materiel is quite decent, i like the design in general.

tenc somehow sells american-eagle like clothes but theres also jil sander stuff (mind you the popped collar look only recently came to malaysia...)

starhill gallery is across from pavilion and its real posh, good expensive foodcourt at the basement

theres gonna be a place called fahrenheit 88 or something across from pavilion as well and has uniqlo, but dont know when theyre gonna open for sure.

in terms of nightlife, theres a row of bars at changkat bukit bintang about 10 mins south of pavilion walking. theres also 7ate9 restaurant and bar behind klcc below ascott residence. luna bar at pan global is right below the kl tower, must go to that rooftop bar (has a pool). skybar is at the top of traders hotel across from klcc, must go to.

in terms of places to visit, ive only been to some of those places even though currently live here so cant say much

I'm also going there this winter and am considering to buy an iPad there. Anyone know how the prices are? I saw that there is one big Apple reseller in The Pavilion.. Would really appreciate any info!

A friend told me that "Old China Cafe" is a great dining place. Anyone been there or can recommend any other places?

If you like clubbing Zouk KL is a cool place I've heard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TO be honest, I dun think there is much shopping in KL. The only places to go are the Givenchy at Starhill gallery. Which is ok not the current Ricardo Tisci style, the more formal and older style. which is still ok.

Check out the Pavillion across the road also owned by YTL Holdings.

A place to stay at is Hotel Maya: http://www.wikichichi.com/travels/hotel_reviews/hotel_maya/review Which is the only boutique hotel thingy in KL. Right opp from Zouk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

shameful to say, but KL has gone from bad to worse these few years. it showed a bit of promise a few years ago, then the recession happened.

even Club Monaco could close down. Specialized, individualized, independent boutiques that most SuFu members are after would be hard to find in KL. but keep reading tho..

What we have though are high street labels; some of which we can get a good selection of stuff from. Topman has their own standalone branch in KLCC. Zara is in most major malls. Uniqlo is a saviour. Cotton On can get dirt cheap. For reasons unknown, the horrendous brand Armani Exchange and CK jeans are popular and found everywhere.

HIgh end labels are usually the generic ones available in most other capitals already. Doubt prices are much cheaper here too, altho sales can be good. Lanvin was up to 40-70% off storewide. HIgh end shopping can be done at Starhill and Pavilion.

For cheap clothes, there are tonnes of selection for the girls, with boutiques selling cheaply made clothes from Thailand, China, Korea, Taiwan. Bangsar's Telawi area is a pleasant place for this. For better prices, Sungai Wang is the tackiest but most comprehensive mall for cheap stuff, take an aspirin before going in. Prices can't beat Bangkok, tho.

For the guys, slim pickings.

Noteworthy boutiques selling good clothes for men?

I'd suggest

M for men in Gardens (Fred Perry, K Karl Lagerfeld, CDG PLAY), tenc in Pavilion (although I am not sure if this place is still open) and Materiel in Parkson Pavilion. Menswear section in Pavilion's Tangs and Parkson are quite decent. MUSA is open in Avenue K, rave reviews altho I haven't been there myself.

Food is a different story, tho. Lots to offer for restaurants and bars. Just need to checkout the Time Out KL or KLUE websites for recommendations and listings.

^tenc is still open but its becoming like an american preppy clothing store. they got some jil sander etc but a bit stale. few selections on the good stuff.

tangs is awesome. they got some h by hudson there, surprisingly.

ive never been to that MUSA place, avenue k always seems barren.

i'm surprised tenc joined the bandwagon and got into american preppy now

they used to sell jc de castelbajac t shirts the last time i was there yonks ago

yea tangs is great, they have this small select section that stocks lesser known labels like greyhound. used to see john varvatos there but don't think they do them anymore. and their fred perry selection seems better than the one at fred perry store

btw u like 7ate9? food was ok but i felt the menu a bit too limited

delucca is nice, and twentyone is nice for both food and drinks. palate palette too

• 2 months later...

Just got back from my first gig in Malaysia. Didn't have a ton of time outside of the show and press but I did conclude the following:

-Petronas Towers is completely bad ass

-Zouk was crackin

-Unlike Istean Shinjuku, do not expect to find anything good at Isetan KL

Probably back to do another show soon. Will alert the Superfuturians once it's booked.

• 1 month later...

How easy is it for English-only speaking Americans to get around KL? Would a few hours of studying a Lonely Planet book cut it?

I was thinking of planning a trip with the wife, spend a few days in KL and a few days at Langkawi... seems like such a beautiful country. We were in Thailand last year (Chiang Mai and Phuket) and loved it. Chiang Mai was the best city I've ever traveled to, Phuket wasn't my cup of tea but it got us itching to explore more of SE Asia.

Most KL-lites can converse well in english, KL is basically like Singapore, so shouldn't be an issue

Isetan in KL & Singapore is kinda more like Nordstroms and less like the jap versions

Zouk is always cracking. Atrak spinning next sat @ Zouk (singapore)

Langkawi is awesome for its scenery, i normally rent a boat out with friends, go out fishing/chilling then seafood dinner at night

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...