malaysia :: kuala lumpur :: general

Dimman

hmm been shopping in klcc + bukit bintang area lately.

lemme make a list of the decent stuff here:

KLCC:

zara

topman

banana republic

a | x

fcuk

fendi

ermenegildo zegna

salvatore ferragamo

prada

chanel

moschino

marc jacobs

calvin klein

burberry

coach

armani

hermes

gucci

lv

versace

paul smith

dunhill

starhill gallery:

lanvin

mulberry

christian dior (no dior homme in malaysia)

bottega veneta

fendi

kenzo

louis vuitton

tumi

chaumet

dkny

givenchy

valentino

gucci

pavilion kl:

bvlgari

chloe

dunhill

zegna

gucci

hermes

prada

tenc (limited jil sander, dell acqua, jc castelbajac, morphine gen., canterburry nz, mike & chris, trovata, william rast, citizens of humanity, etc)

tod's

versace

ysl

topshop

coach

burberry

bcbg

etro (i think)

parkson (aquascutum, brooks brothers)

it kinda sucks cuz in malaysia you get really popular global high end stuff, or local brands that are popular only because theyre cheap yet shitty. its not easy finding lesser known high end designer stuff. the target audience here is so small that its probably just not worth selling stuff here. the fact that theres not even dior homme in malaysia is just sad.

yup, thanks for the update.

Have you checked out this store called Materiel (opposite Topshop in Pavilion) by any chance?

DSC01584_copy_std.jpg

Apparently they sell 5th Avenue Shoe Repair, which looks kind of interesting.

Do you know if they carry menswear? Somebody told me they didn't, but the pic shows a male mannequin.

yup, thanks for the update.

Have you checked out this store called Materiel (opposite Topshop in Pavilion) by any chance?

DSC01584_copy_std.jpg

Apparently they sell 5th Avenue Shoe Repair, which looks kind of interesting.

Do you know if they carry menswear? Somebody told me they didn't, but the pic shows a male mannequin.

interesting. ill have to check it out in a couple weeks and see if they have menswear

did you already decide to move here?

That said, the place looks great, it's fcking huge, well lit and spaced out. And there's a great 'food republic' that serves J.Co donuts. :D

Just a quick info for anyone who doesn't know this.. J.Co donuts is a donut chain from Indonesia. And I personally think it's BETTER than Krispy Creme :D

Back to the topic, I would totally agree that shopping in KL is rather average.

But all my girlfriends go shopping to KL for one reason and one reason only.. Buying loads of rather decent looking but cheap Vinci shoes; which I believe is a local Malaysian brand, right?

just out of interest. how many j.co donut places are there in KL?

yea i think vinci is malaysian... its VNC right?

hmmm.. I really wouldn't know how many j.co donuts places there are in KL. I think there should be quite some now. Definitely in the big malls.

I'd be able to tell you for Jakarta though! ;D

• 1 month later...
unfortunately, no.

premium jeans of the superfuture kind do not exist in KL.

That said, you could try The Gardens in MidValley and Pavillion Bukit Bintang.

The Gardens MidValley:

Bittersweet for Bauhaus(?) and cheap Cheap Mondays

Bread + Butter for Evisu,True Religion, 7FAM and the like

Levi's Flagship for LVC

Pavillion Bukit Bintang:

Parkson for Earnest Sewn, Cheap Monday, Mavi(?)

Tangs for Bread+Butter stuff, Lee, Edwin

Don't depend on KL for ur selvage. Come for the food instead :D

just been to The Gardens and I must say I didn't expect to see fucking cheap Cheap Mondays there. 40 RM?!! that equates to 11.4USD or 16.1 AUD. But other than that, i didn't like what Bittersweet was selling. Would've bought one, but the jet black pair i wanted was only in size 23? lol.

Oh yeah, Bittersweet also stocks Edwins, though the range is very limited.

Bread and Butter, a shit load of expensive Evisu. 700 to 1500+ RM if my memory serves me well.

They also have Banana Republic over in The Gardens, and an Edwin outlet store in the old MidValley (imo it's shit as hell, no raw/selvedge) but it's bloody cheap. some jeans going for 80RM.

My short list of stores that may be of interest in Midvalley old and new:

Banana Republic

Edwin (despite it's lack of nice clothes, who knows you may find something nice)

Bittersweet

Bread and Butter

Coach (bags wallets etc)

Levi's (there's two, one in the old and one in the new)

Robinsons i think it was called (has a mini section which sells Burberry for men and women and also this store focuses mainly on perfume and facial products)

DKNY

CK (also has two, in old and new)

Hugo Boss

As i go to the other shopping centres ill update on what's worth seeing.

Oh yeah,watch out for Malaysian sales assistants. They follow you EVERYWHERE and annoy the crap out of you and recommend every single product and brand to you even if you specifically tell them which brands and styles you want. It's also hard to tell which stores sell fakes like those one's where they stock alot of denim from all sorts of brands (True Blue jeans? forgot where it was). Dodgy looking sale assisstants and no background music for a store which sells somewhat nice jeans.

I think it's Vincci. It's like a market in there, shit load of people. I also saw another store called Vincci+, I'm assuming that is a more expensive version of the same brand since there were a fraction of the people in there.

Oh yes, i also declare Malaysia one of the ugliest countries i've been to (people wise). The women are far from decent. The only eye candy is probably the tourists i've seen which were from Germany or France or whereever.

just out of interest. how many j.co donut places are there in KL?

yea i think vinci is malaysian... its VNC right?

yeah vinci is malaysian owned...

something interesting about that is a few designers for vinci used to be in the same school as jimmy choo himself...

went to KLCC and pavilion today.

A few interesting stores, can't be bothered listing / naming because theres so many.

But funniest thing i saw were, Cheap Mondays for 500RM at Parksons in Pavilion

those cheap mondays are probably legit ones. there's a store in pavilion that sells PRPS jeans too...but no raw ones.

Melium Group, they are responsible for brands in the country like Zegna, Boss, CK (I think), + many others.

They have an 'outlet' shop where off season designs go. They have coats, scarves, shoes, undies, wallets, belts, winter clothes and almost everything you can think of. Sizes are difficult to find, but I've made a couple of good buys there (Zegna scarf, some belts, etc)

The address of the outlet is 62, Jalan 8/19, Tmn Shamelin Perkasa 56100 KL

Good food, you'd have to get someone to bring you around. I don't think you'd be able to find most of the good stuff on your own.

There's this fish head place near Chan Sow Lin. I think if you get a taxi that's from KL, he will know what you're talking about. There's absolutely nothing else like it, anyone who grew up in KL can tell you about this place. It's zinc roofed, by the road side. If I'm not mistaken it's on Jalan Empat (Road 4, literally).

My other favourite food is bak kut teh (pork-bone-herb-stew), which you can find under a bridge (road) in Klang. I think a lot of people would know this place as well. Have it for lunch or early lunch because they always sell out too soon.

Roast duck in Taman Sea (Petaling Jaya), which finishes by mid-day noon, usually. They even have Mondays off (I think..)

Jalan Alor is really overrated, and I haven't really been there (only once, meh). Behind Jalan Alor (near the hotel) has this beef noodle shop which has been there since I can remember. They are one of the best (if not, the best) place to have beef noodles.

Then there's 'roti babi' (which is essentially pork on toast), somewhere off Jalan Sultan Ismail.

Oh and don't forget 'loh shi fun' (rat tail noodles - cos the noodles look like rat tails) which you can find in Taman Tun Dr. Ismail (TTDI).

I'm gonna stop here because if you'd ask me where to eat, I can go on and on.

• 3 months later...
yupster, I think you're pretty much the only KLite here. Better join streething instead? ;) Hang in there brother.

Anyway, Ratatat will be playing at Zouk on May 28th.

yes yes i just saw the ratatat listing. i think i;ll go to that. so unfortunate to be here all alone ;( the only shows good shows ive been to here were battles and jens lekman

hey guys i want to know for referential purpose

is it plausible for a guy to wear skinny jeans in malay?

or is it just way too humid/hot to be possible lol

want to know cos thats all i wear errrday

thanks

hey guys i want to know for referential purpose

is it plausible for a guy to wear skinny jeans in malay?

or is it just way too humid/hot to be possible lol

want to know cos thats all i wear errrday

thanks

youll get pickled balls if you do during the day

at night, not so bad.

• 3 months later...
yupster, I think you're pretty much the only KLite here. Better join streething instead? ;) Hang in there brother.

Anyway, Ratatat will be playing at Zouk on May 28th.

yes yes i just saw the ratatat listing. i think i;ll go to that. so unfortunate to be here all alone ;( the only shows good shows ive been to here were battles and jens lekman

Streething peepz are like the Malaysian version of Hypebeast, difference is that Malaysians own less stuff due to lack of availability and high exchange rates. So everything that is posted by the rich spoilt brats gets an "Ooh, HYPE!" response from the comparatively less affluent remaining members.

I don't think there was anything worth watching ever since the Jens Lekman show, other than the Rainforest World Music Fest in Kuching.

Oh but did anyone know that Gareth Pugh slipped into Barsonic to spin in May?

youll get pickled balls if you do during the day

at night, not so bad.

I quit the denim game for good few months ago since the unbearable heat wave. Chinos and shorts every day please thank you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh but did anyone know that Gareth Pugh slipped into Barsonic to spin in May?

yup i went there that night got pissed drunk on my own cuz non of my friends actually wanted to go... it was a pretty decent set i guess. there was this girl that actually wore a dress he design at the club. pretty sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
yup i went there that night got pissed drunk on my own cuz non of my friends actually wanted to go... it was a pretty decent set i guess. there was this girl that actually wore a dress he design at the club. pretty sweet.

i went for the battles concert alone this year too...i don't think any of my friends here know who they were :rolleyes:

barsonic might be the only place in KL where people actually know who Gareth Pugh is.

i went for the battles concert alone this year too...i don't think any of my friends here know who they were :rolleyes:

yup since i mved bck last year, ive been to only three shows, and alone at all of them (jens lekman, battles, ratatat). it's kinda mindblowing cuz i used to go to 3 shows a week on average before malaysia.

• 1 month later...

looking for dior homme stockists in KL.

i;ve come up with starhill gallery, isetan KLCC and isetan @ lot 10.

can any residents confirm that all of these still stock DH? any word on which would be the best bet for the denim?

edit: just read back in the thread, no DH in malaysia?

Any other boutiques worth checking out? cant really remember all that many from last time i was there.

• 3 months later...

bump.

im headed to vietnam in a few days but i have a 23 hour layover in kuala lumpur. what is the fastest/easiest way to get to the city from the airport.

and is anything that i NEED to do while there with my limited time? i know use the fucking search option but i dont have time these days life is hectic, so please try to help me out.