Monocle magazine

Gabriel

I've just picked up the first issue of Monocle, the new magazine launched by Tyler Brûlé (who started Wallpaper*) with the original W* art director. So far it looks really interesting, lots of content, not glossy, interesting format; kind of like a pre-2000 Wallpaper* with a anti-trendy vibe that's really refreshing. It feels like a classic magazine from the 60s.

Also their site has good additional info, like video and stockist links. They're selling special order luggage from Japan (a bit like the co-branded Puma sneakers W* did in the 90s)... etc.

Recommended!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

A friend recommended it to me while in Japan and didn't get to pick it up until recently. I just bought the 3rd issue. Great content, this magazine will discontinue 75% of my monthly rounds at the local mag stand. A refreshing media outlet for the global conscious. Buy it. Click on the pic.

home_subscribe_issue_may07.gif

I got a one year subscription a couple of months ago and absolutely love this magazine.. Almost every page is worth reading...

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the third issue (may) and this is definitely a great magazine, I'm about half-way through in one sitting and I didn't skip a single article/column/feature.

Although I'm kind of concerned as to when we'll get Issue #4 since it's supposedly out but still not in stores here.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

their office is a literal 5 minutes away from where im living.

i walk past their office and it fills my heart with joy to see hacks busy stressing over their iMacs with massive double screens.

they also stick up 80 blank double sheets on the wall and fill it in over the month.

would a magazine give away old magazines for free?

where do all the out of date magazines go?

i ride for monacle, grabbed the last two. the writing is excellent. hard to find in a mag today. speaking of which, what happened to print mags? maybe i just come from the wrong era, but everything has sucked since maxim came out. they dragged dwn an entire industry by getting popuar off broing out. i read old details and its really good, now its bisexual propaganda. gq fell off hard too. even my favorite subculture mags went south. that industry needs to reinvent itself quick cause youngsters are feeling a massive void.

i ride for monacle, grabbed the last two. the writing is excellent. hard to find in a mag today. speaking of which, what happened to print mags? maybe i just come from the wrong era, but everything has sucked since maxim came out. they dragged dwn an entire industry by getting popuar off broing out. i read old details and its really good, now its bisexual propaganda. gq fell off hard too. even my favorite subculture mags went south. that industry needs to reinvent itself quick cause youngsters are feeling a massive void.

Damn. Couldn't have said it better myself. Rep for you sir.

I've got all the issues except for #1, can anyone help me track down the first issue for me :o

Same here.