usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

I'm going to San Francisco for spring break and I really wanted to know where the best places to visit are. I know there are touristy things to do, but where are the MUST GO TO stores and restaurants that might not be featured on this site? I always like to get the opinions of people who have actually been there instead of just going by books or the internet.

And also here's a weird question... is it ok to take my laptop backpack around with me or do you think the stores wouldn't want to let someone in with a backpack on? I have to pre-reg for school online and for some reason it's during spring break this year.

Off the top of my head:

-El Farolito Taqueria (the one on Mission @ 24th)

-Zeitgeist Bar during the daytime (You've never seen anything like it in your entire life)

-The Ferry Building (if you're into food, this is Food Mecca)

-Self Edge if you're into denim: http://www.selfedge.com (i'm biased, it's my store)

-Pork Buns in Chinatown

-City Lights Bookstore

-The Castro Theatre (and no, it's not a gay theatre, it's a non-smut theatre and probably one of the nicest in the country)

i am going to SF in april.. how about skate spots oh and pho eating spots too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1st stop: Self Edge

then make sure you hit up the Alden Shoes store over there. (Theyre closed on sundays)

for eatting breakfast that place Chris told us about was awesome. its a breakfast joint on the corner down self edge a few blocks. Fucking awesome breakfast. Just dont use your cell phone in there, they charge you an extra dollar if they see you using a cell phone.

Also check out the hollywood hotel http://reservations.ihotelier.com/areasearch/step2.cfm

only about $100 a night , about 10 mins away from anywhere you really need to go to in SF.

• 2 weeks later...

- MOMAsf - plenty of exhibits on display

- Pier 39 - On the touristy side, but it's a nice stroll and there's great seafood to be had (roadside crabs, eat while you stand type of deal)

- Alcatraz - I've never been

- Upper Haight - The usual boutiques

- Hayes Valley - Azalea, Flight 001, and other boutiques.

- Union Square - Typical mall shops.

- Mitchell's Ice Cream - The best ice cream I've ever had. It's by SE.

- Blondie's Pizza - It's close to Union Square & MOMAsf and worth grabbing a slice.

I knew someone was going to boast Self Edge as if it didn't get enough publicity and promo thru sufu.

If the OP knew about it, he would also know that of all cities superfuture has probably the most info about Tokyo, NYC, and SF, and therefore he wouldn't make this thread.

If the OP knew about it, he would also know that of all cities superfuture has probably the most info about Tokyo, NYC, and SF, and therefore he wouldn't make this thread.

that's actually why i made the thread...i knew i'd get good info. and the reason i made a new thread instead of searching is because popular restaurants, boutiques, attractions, and such always change. this years best chinese restaurant may not have been last years best chinese restaurant...and that's why i wanted to get an updated opinion.

anyways, thanks for all the suggestions guys...keep them coming!