usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

only been to Valencia location and can only say I've had more disappointing experiences than good - but I mean id probably be rude if I had to deal with gentrifying tech honkies all day too only reason I go back is cause I somehow end up in the area more than I'd like

damn. come to the portola. I swear im like the youngest person here by like 20 years. Either 90 year old chinese ladies walking in bunches, all wearing sun hats or 50 year old mexicans cleaning their low riders.... love it here... actually dont come here. its mine

... and as i type that out, I realize how much I really do love it here. Dirt cheap rent in a safe neighborhood (multi-generation home owners), walkinig distance to cheap chinese, mexican, etc restaurants, 4 blocks from the 101, 10 blocks to the 280, no traffic, plenty of parking, 15 mins downtown, 10 mins to the mission... hidden gem, in my opinion. Added bonus that i work in south city and I got a 15 minute commute in traffic.

Dex, when you say "dirt cheap" are you saying "I moved here 10 years ago and my rent is still dirt cheap" or do you just mean very cheap in comparison to the rest of the city with us all paying fantasyland rents in general?

moved to this house a year and a half ago... This is the fourth place ive lived at in the city and its by far the cheapest and best housing Ive had. Including what i paid in daly city

Relatively speaking its far from anything the city is known for (other than candlestick, but you kno...), but I don't need/really want to be in the center of all the madness. If you move to SF to be IN the city, then it probably won't be your cup of tea. I am not one of those people

Edited by Dex_star

ive been looking for a place in the city for awhile now. but i'm currently in millbrae, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to move a little bit closer but still outside the city. i can understand what you're saying though dex.

next spot i move to i plan on being there for more than just a year or two so i'm being picky with the neighborhood. 3k for a studio is just insane though.

moved to this house a year and a half ago... This is the fourth place ive lived at in the city and its by far the cheapest and best housing Ive had. Including what i paid in daly city

Relatively speaking its far from anything the city is known for (other than candlestick, but you kno...), but I don't need/really want to be in the center of all the madness. If you move to SF to be IN the city, then it probably won't be your cup of tea. I am not one of those people

Dude I feel you, and when I first moved here, I moved to the Mission, but now I live near SF State. So I give zero fucks about being IN the city. There isn't anything so far out of the way from anywhere, more or less, that is a barrier to going to something I want to. Compared to other cities, anything here is convenient. All I want is the possibility for a small backyard so my dog can lay outside (pets seem to be the issue for a lot of landlords these days).

Got a job in San Francisco so I'm moving in a couple of months. never really spent a ton of time in the city so I'm having an incredibly hard time trying to figure out the neighborhood where I want to live.

Was considering oakland but have no idea where there is a nightlife vs what is more quiet/residential. Have a couple of friends in the mission that seem to like it, but I really have no way to assess beyond visiting which isn't possible at the moment.

Can someone help point me in the right direction? I'm basically looking for a place with a few decent bars, <30 min commute to the city and possibly less concentration of tech people. 

Got a job in San Francisco so I'm moving in a couple of months. never really spent a ton of time in the city so I'm having an incredibly hard time trying to figure out the neighborhood where I want to live.

Was considering oakland but have no idea where there is a nightlife vs what is more quiet/residential. Have a couple of friends in the mission that seem to like it, but I really have no way to assess beyond visiting which isn't possible at the moment.

Can someone help point me in the right direction? I'm basically looking for a place with a few decent bars, <30 min commute to the city and possibly less concentration of tech people. 

Where is your job? Depending on your answer, that will help pick a neighborhood.

the mission is overrated as far as apartments are concerned, has been for a while. the rents are sky high and you deal with shithead techies and the remaining crackheads. i got a super reasonable place in north beach, its absent of tech yuppies and mostly older couples and asian families, but ymmv. bars are good and its only 20 min walk from downtown. chances are if you are looking for something affordable and close to downtown communal living is the only solution unfortunately. every neighborhood has something unique to offer, it really depends how your prioritize your free time and your interests.

job is in the tenderloin, and will be living with gf so I can cut rent in half

i don't mind living relatively far from work if the neighborhood has it's own scene that I can come back to. biggest nightmare would be stuck far away from work in a place thats dull on nights/weekends

appreciate your help

You can live in nob hill  or japantown which can sway towards boring but on the safer side, and are still walking distance to work at 15-20 minutes. there's lots of spots in and around union square / tenderloin / soma popping up that are great gastro pub style eateries. Sometimes if you get lucky 2-3 bedrooms pop up at a decent price or below market rate. I'd keep your eyes peeled on craigslist and padmapper...

Edited by Fycus

Going to sf for a bachelor party with 12 artfag dudes. Any suggestions on bars or restaurants or shit to do that can accommodate a large dude crew? Im thinking Tommys joynt for a meal, mission Chinese but kinda doubt we could get 12 in there. Any cool beer bars we should check out? Not sure on where were staying, all the airbnb's are booked or marketed towards tech budgets.

Edited by EG562

Limon is a good mid range spot for larger parties. I just updated this list, but you should prob check out mikkeller or garaje for beer- or even Rogue if youre in the area. Hardcore beer aficionados dont like mikkeller because they use plastic kegs, but its still worthwhile imo

Bars:

Higher priced drinks:

-Local Edition*

-Rickhouse

-RN74

-Devil's Acre (new) +

-15 Romolo* +

-Bourbon and Branch (a little far from fidi)

-Press Club +

Mid tier:

-Old Ship Saloon

-Hopwater Distribution* +

-Hogwash* +

-City Beer*

-Southside Spirit House

-Garaje* (so good) +

-Mikkeller * (euro beer heaven)

Dive:

-Tunnel Top

-Schroeders +

-Mr Bings

-Blondies (mission)

-Grant and Green

-Toronado

-Zeitgeist

* starred are my favorites 

+ Food and drink

Edited by Fycus

Touristy? Alcatraz is fine, as is walking around at the ferry building or ghiradelli square. I wouldn't pay for tours or anything but the transportation out there is pretty reasonable. It's Tuesday in the city so I'd recommend a burger from Rosamundes then drink a beer at toronado. They only do it once a week and it is amazing.

Vesuvio is a fun spot to grab drinks, you can also walk the golden gate bridge for cheap, go fishing on the pier if you have a license, rent a scooter or those 3 wheeled cars and ride around the city, etc etc

Bi-rite creamery is good ice cream then you can hang out in the park. Bernal heights, billy goat hill with a swing overlooking the city, etc. 

Edited by Fycus

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me about 16th and mission?

Looking to chill tomorrow evening. 

What?

You trying to buy weed?  Pills? 

Nobody hangs out there unless you're trying to score or you're selling.

bar hopping

can i leave my car @ BART overnight? i can't decipher this online. Seems like it's fine if I park after 3pm.  nvm

You'd be better off these days bar hopping in the Tenderloin.  Way better bars from nearly every aspect if you're looking to hit multiple places.  I personally only go to two or three bars (over and over again) and they're all in the Mission, but every other bar in the Mission is nearly unbearable to me.  In the Tenderloin you can hit every imaginable type of bar within a 6 block radius of the center of the neighborhood.  

FYI, there are no parking lots at BART stations in SF.  Best bet is to leave your car overnight at the Hoff street garage on Hoff and 16th.

What are your goto bars kiya?

Benders, Rock Bar, and Royal Cuckoo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is mission chinese still good? Trying to find a cheapish place to bring 10 dudes and this came to mind , and they take reservations. 

Going to be there this weekend, anything going on we should know about? I think theres a leather bear fest of some sort.