usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

Trouble coffee isnt far from my house... never been there tho... Heard good things? I usually just get four barrel in portola since its walking distance

Yeah I saw something in a magazine. Apparently the girl who opened it was broke as shit, sleeping on people's floor's. Just think fair play to her for doing something. 

Think they just do toast, coffee and coconuts. Whats that are like?

Any budget really. Just after some local gems, not typical touristy, a mean burger, something upscale for a special night. Cool coffee places. 

I have just got a green card, so will be opening up a bank account. Staying with friends in SF, not totally sure where I'd settle. So just want a free account etc.. Tons of bullshit on internet so maybe some real Americans can help.

Burger- Sam's in north beach is amazing drunk or sober (but always a drunk hit) or on Tuesdays only, Rosamundes on Haight street does a burger which is in my opinion the best in the city. Get a drink at Toronado, wait for your burger, come back- eat bliss. Roam is also good if you are looking for something more "crafted", the first two I mentioned are strictly american style, but amazing.

Coffee- Beacon for chill atmosphere (sightglass beans), Four Barrel, Reveille (amazing breakfast sandwiches)

Pastries- Tartine (dat morning bun)

Dim Sum- Yank Sing, koi palace

etc- Burma superstar (tealeaf salad), Ramen Underground (haters gonna hate, its pretty decent), Lil chihuahua (my fav pseudo-mexican, can walk down the street to get bi-rite ice cream afterwards ), Papalote, Roli Roti porchetta sandwich (thursdays only at ferry building for lunch)

beer/liquor- toronado, beer revolution (oakland), southern pacific brewing co, don pistos (bottomless margarita brunch), hopwater, chambers (for group vibes), monks kettle, rogue

Edited by Fycus

Burger- Sam's in north beach is amazing drunk or sober (but always a drunk hit) or on Tuesdays only, Rosamundes on Haight street does a burger which is in my opinion the best in the city. Get a drink at Toronado, wait for your burger, come back- eat bliss. Roam is also good if you are looking for something more "crafted", the first two I mentioned are strictly american style, but amazing.

Coffee- Beacon for chill atmosphere (sightglass beans), Four Barrel, Reveille (amazing breakfast sandwiches)

Pastries- Tartine (dat morning bun)

Dim Sum- Yank Sing, koi palace

etc- Burma superstar (tealeaf salad), Ramen Underground (haters gonna hate, its pretty decent), Lil chihuahua (my fav pseudo-mexican, can walk down the street to get bi-rite ice cream afterwards ), Papalote, Roli Roti porchetta sandwich (thursdays only at ferry building for lunch)

beer/liquor- toronado, beer revolution (oakland), southern pacific brewing co, don pistos (bottomless margarita brunch), hopwater, chambers (for group vibes), monks kettle, rogue

Awesome thanks mate! 

• 1 month later...

So my friend and I are going to be in town for a couple days at the end of August, trying to plan ahead and make the most of it.

I haven't been to San Francisco since I was a kid, so I don't really have any idea of what to do.

We're flying into LA, driving up to SF for a couple days and then back to LA.

I know we want to go to Tornado since we're both into beer, and my friend wants to go to Flour and Water for dinner one night.

But other than that we're pretty clueless, so bring on the suggestions.  They would be much appreciated!

So my friend and I are going to be in town for a couple days at the end of August, trying to plan ahead and make the most of it.

I haven't been to San Francisco since I was a kid, so I don't really have any idea of what to do.

We're flying into LA, driving up to SF for a couple days and then back to LA.

I know we want to go to Tornado since we're both into beer, and my friend wants to go to Flour and Water for dinner one night.

But other than that we're pretty clueless, so bring on the suggestions.  They would be much appreciated!

If you're really into beer go to City Beer too, it's a very different experience than Toronado, but the selection is larger due to their bottle selection.  Both places are very well connected though, so you'll get a large number of things not available anywhere else.

Skip Flour & Water, i've been three times and each time wondered why i bothered.   There is better Italian and pizza in SF.

Finally went to Spruce last night. Burger was damn good, but I wasn't a huge fan of the english muffin bun. Still something I recommend trying though. The rest of my experience there was top notch too. 

I love Spruce, their spirits program is the best i've seen all of San Francisco.

If you're really into beer go to City Beer too, it's a very different experience than Toronado, but the selection is larger due to their bottle selection.  Both places are very well connected though, so you'll get a large number of things not available anywhere else.

Skip Flour & Water, i've been three times and each time wondered why i bothered.   There is better Italian and pizza in SF.

City Beer looks awesome.  I'll let my friend know about Flour and Water.

We're mainly just looking for stuff we can't really get in Austin (Italian, Asian, different regional beers).

We're gonna try to stock up on Jester King beers and bring 'em out there to trade.

For all of the hype if you want Flour and Water-ish food, I prefer Beretta. Food comes out lightning quick and is always good. Pizzas are good to (for the type that they are).

Thanks for the ideas so far guys, been doing a bit more digging on my own as well.

I think we definitely want to do: Toronado, City Beer, Smugglers Cove, Self Edge, Unionmade, Sam's.

Not entirely sure what else yet, it seems like there's so much to do!

We're staying near SFO because it's the only hotel I could get with points on short notice, how easy is it to get in and out of the city?

Figured we could take the BART into town each day and then cab it back.

Thanks for the ideas so far guys, been doing a bit more digging on my own as well.

I think we definitely want to do: Toronado, City Beer, Smugglers Cove, Self Edge, Unionmade, Sam's.

Not entirely sure what else yet, it seems like there's so much to do!

We're staying near SFO because it's the only hotel I could get with points on short notice, how easy is it to get in and out of the city?

Figured we could take the BART into town each day and then cab it back.

If you're staying at a hotel near SFO then you can take BART from the Millbrae station and that takes you right into the Mission (25 minute ride). 

I live in millbrae and occasionally Uber out to the city. Ends up being about $50 one way but if you split it across a few people and use coupons it's not bad. Might be helpful if you guys decide to stay out late past Bart's closing time (midnight).

Cellarmaker has been getting a lot of love lately, and I've only been once, but, imho, it's not impressive. All of their beers had a rotten/rank quality, which I've had in some wild yeast brewed beers, but they were all a bit like mouldy socks. Your milage may vary though. If you are really in to beer, I'd check out Mikkeller Beer Bar.

• 3 weeks later...

WE PROVIDE MEALS THAT ARE COMPLETELY UNAFFORDABLE AND UNAPPEALING TO PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY LIVE IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/we-provide-meals-that-are-completely-unaffordable-and-unappealing-to-people-who-actually-live-in-this-neighborhood

Edited by kiya

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tech bros are everywhere out here. Of course, as someone who works in content marketing, I am nominally a tech bro. Of course, I view my working in marketing much like being a tradesman. It's what I have experience in, so I have a job in it. But I don't believe digital marketing is saving the planet like many of the over fed, over paid children do here in the space.

I work in tech but dont consider myself a tech bro. Business by trade and education, I would probably rather be in any other industry and job, but there are lots of perks. Its convenient to be in tech if you are in the bay, other industries just seem ancient right now. 

I think tech/marketing, etc, are a lovely foundation to build a sense of ennui needed to finally make you say "fuck it" and try doing what you actually love.

FYI

buddy told me to get out of my comfort zone

hit me up with a link to purchase tickets

what did i get myself into https://www.facebook.com/events/616232778428768/

about to be on a boat in the middle of the ocean

my first thought is, where am i going to piss? 

=\

I have an extra ticket or 2 for the cruise Halloween music party this coming Friday in SF if anyone is interested. LMK!

Friend got work, and I'm pretty much not down to go if he is bailing. 

Tickets are paid for already, you can have mine for free or if you want to spot me back some money that would be cool. Otherwise, not really a big deal. 

I just don't want the tickets to go to waste...

edit:

just got to figure out how to give you the ticket. i don't think i have to be there.

• 3 weeks later...

Yo I actually live near SF (Oakland) and was wondering if anyone knew a good tattoo place that does excellent line work? (like precise geometric stuff)

Ben Volt does very good geometric stuff: http://www.benvolttattoo.com/

Definitely hourly, not at all sure what the rate is, however. My friend who got work done by Ben did not tell me what he paid.

Alright I'll definitely have to shoot him an email then, I was looking at 2spirit tattoos which is also based in SF but read somewhere that their rate was 200 an hour or so and no walk ins. Hopefully Scholar tattoo is more chill. Thanks yo