usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

i'll be in town next week. it's been like 6 years since i went to SF. i'll be there for four days.

what shops are worth checking out these days? any sales going on? not interested in goth ninja or denim.

-Maas&stacks

-That darkside sneaker shop on top of the hill

bae area s-matsuri this weekend with kuya mrip and yours truly

beeru and kyari. come thru and say hello to the OGs. meet us outside uniqlo.

Edited by herpsky

i'll be in town next week. it's been like 6 years since i went to SF. i'll be there for four days.

what shops are worth checking out these days? any sales going on? not interested in goth ninja or denim.

-Maas&stacks

-That darkside sneaker shop on top of the hill

Bastille, Bloomingdales top floor mens designer, MAC, Maas, Darkside (its a block away from my apt), Barneys, Jeremy's

• 3 months later...

If you're looking to only spend 1000 with parking you might be lucky to find a spot on the edge of the city like sunset, no way you would be in a central location. Realistically speaking if yoy want to be close to public trans like caltrain and have parking with 2-3 other roommates expect ~1400+

Yung lean and sadboys July 19, got a small crew going

Edited by Fycus

• 2 weeks later...

which of the uniqlos is best stocked and close to the SFO international airport? i just wanna try the oxfords

i have an 8 hour stop over (11:30-19:30, so lets say 4-5 hours leeway)

serramonte, hillsdale, and union square are closest by distance - which would be the most convenient to get to? taxi or train?

im only thinking of going in there then straight back to the airport, not fussed about actually seeing san fran lol

I'd take BART from SFO to Powell. At Powell it's one minute walk to the store. It will cost $8.65 round trip. Other then Uniqlo there's multiple stores you can check which are around the area.

^ that and serramonte sucks compared to downtown sf; that uniqlo is two stories and pretty big

hillsdale would be too far

I would suggest after the quick stop if u don't want to shop elsewhere like saks neiman or barneys to walk down market until u hit the ferry building, there are some good food in there like cowgirl creamery (grill cheese), boccalone (yummy meat sandwich) or humphry slocombe for ice cream..

it's a nice area

if u don't wanna walk that far off on new Montgomery there's the sentinel which also makes good sandwiches

whatever you do, don't fall for sushiritto

Gonna be in San Fran from July 4th for a week or so. Any food places to check out, burgers, Asian, mexi, whatever really?

Also bank recommendations? Ally Bank, Charles Schwab seem to have good reviews!?

Edited by Miso Moo

Gonna be in San Fran from July 4th for a week or so. Any food places to check out, burgers, Asian, mexi, whatever really?

Also bank recommendations? Ally Bank, Charles Schwab seem to have good reviews!?

depends on what's your budget, what you like, etc

j/w why would u need a bank recommendation? for sf or in general? cos ally doesn't have any physical presence I know of and schwab, only has investment locations, I heard they're going a bit of the way of Queens (aussie) with investment boutiques, franchise and such

are you talking about "Deli&"?

i used to go there all the time.

yeppp

miss working fidi

depends on what's your budget, what you like, etc

j/w why would u need a bank recommendation? for sf or in general? cos ally doesn't have any physical presence I know of and schwab, only has investment locations, I heard they're going a bit of the way of Queens (aussie) with investment boutiques, franchise and such

yeppp

miss working fidi

Any budget really. Just after some local gems, not typical touristy, a mean burger, something upscale for a special night. Cool coffee places. 

I have just got a green card, so will be opening up a bank account. Staying with friends in SF, not totally sure where I'd settle. So just want a free account etc.. Tons of bullshit on internet so maybe some real Americans can help.

slightglass, bluebottle, and jane for coffee houses/cafés.

I'm a fan of brunch at spqr, decent price unless u wanna splurge on dinner

craftsman and wolves, b patisserie, chantal guillon, knead patisserie, anthonys cookies (Jane has really good ones too)

coffee crunch cake at yasukochi in japantown (call to order early morning)

barneys burgers, super duper, roam, brickhouse cafe..I think I'm the only one that hasn't tried umami burger.

could go on if u narrow it down--frances, atelier crenn

can't go wrong with food trucks, off the grid happens in diff locations throughout bayarea but the civic center has it on tues/thurs if I remember correctly

would be worth it to go up to Berkeley& down over to millbrae and San Mateo for other good eats

Banking wise depends on how you like to do stuff..I have no experience with ally but I love schwab..opening accounts online may be a bit complicated but w/green card and social you should be good

Schwab if you plan to do brokerage, otherwise capital one 360 hasn't been too shabby since it took over ING savings..

Same, no fee for ATM usage, here or abroad, and no foreign transaction fees but you can do a checking and savings account with slightly..teeny bit more...yield then a schwab checking account would.

Eta, can't believe I forgot

brendas soul food..go during weekdays so u don't have to wait long..but they won't have the yummy crawfish beignet, fried chicken benedict, etc..the French toast with their homemade butter pecan sauce is and is hella good

Edited by whitney

slightglass, bluebottle, and jane for coffee houses/cafés.

I'm a fan of brunch at spqr, decent price unless u wanna splurge on dinner

craftsman and wolves, b patisserie, chantal guillon, knead patisserie, anthonys cookies (Jane has really good ones too)

coffee crunch cake at yasukochi in japantown (call to order early morning)

barneys burgers, super duper, roam, brickhouse cafe..I think I'm the only one that hasn't tried umami burger.

could go on if u narrow it down--frances, atelier crenn

Also can't go wrong with food trucks, off the grid happens in diff locations throughout bayarea but the civic center has it on tues/thurs if I remember correctly

Also would be worth it to go up to Berkeley& down over to millbrae and San Mateo for other good eats

Banking wise depends on how you like to do stuff..I have no experience with ally but I love schwab..opening accounts online may be a bit complicated but w/green card and social you should be good

Schwab if you plan to do brokerage, otherwise capital one 360 hasn't been too shabby since it took over ING savings..

Same, no fee for ATM usage, here or abroad, and no foreign transaction fees but you can do a checking and savings account with slightly..teeny bit more...yield then a schwab checking account would.

Awesome thanks Whitney!

I read about Trouble Coffee, you know anything about those guys? Keen to check out food trucks etc.. I wanted to catch a Football game 49's, but doesn't seem to be one on. 

Thanks for advice on banks, was giving me a headache looking online. UK and NZ there are all pretty much the same, although in NZ there is a lot of Aussie banks who try and fuck ya. 

Thanks for all the info Whitney!

^ no, but truthfully I'm not a huge coffee drinker! those recs are from going w/friends and me eating their pastries (except bluebottle..never have much of food)

But if u in bayview/hunter point there's a few cool things to check out, mr.&mrs. misc ice cream and the painted grain silos.

if you're the type that doesn't ever need to step a foot inside a bank, and pretty competent with doing your own online banking (you'll be surprised how many pple aren't)

I would go for capital one 360 savings and checking, and pay via cc, then pay the cc off with my checking account..

I've never done banking abroad, but I've been hearing stuff from my clients, including something about negative interest (just a tiny bit) from a client who banks here and in Spain..and is now looking at investments.

I've also met some head huncho from Queensland..before I never realize that banks can be owned by individuals..I would be the first to admit I have lots to learn so def was interesting, because franchised banks are diff from community or credit unions.

So if you want to elaborate on what you mean by trying to fuck ya, I'm curious.

Edited by whitney

I'm in Auckland, New Zealand. It's a small population with little competition. Now we have I think 3-4 mobile providers (cell phone) not long ago there were two. So it is very expensive to run a mobile phone here. Compared to the UK.

I pay a monthly banking charge, pay to use other bank's cash machines. You can pay to deposit money into your own account. I walked in with cash a while ago and they wanted to charge me $2 to pay it in. Small fee I know, but I've never had that in the UK. So I didn't bank the money. 

I once paid in a Canadian cheque and they called to ask me if i faked it or if it was real. 

I just put it down to it being a small population with little competition so I feel (not sure if anyone else would agree) that we get ripped off here. 

There are a lot of Aussie interests here, banks being one. So all the profit goes overseas. There is starting to be a backlash against Aussie firms. Countdown is a Aussie supermarket here. Was some stuff in the news, I can't remember what exactly, something about pissing off the Kiwi's so people were going to stop shopping there. $4-5 for a bag of fucking salad. Lots of fat people here, Pacific Islanders (poor bastards are big anyway) To eat ethically, clean and healthy is expensive. 

But in saying that, I absolutely love Auckland. 

You are getting ripped off!

Banks here, they usually have a service fee unless you meet a criteria..usually to keep you from moving to another bank e.g. Direct deposit from employer, or keeping x amount if not.

Both schwab and capital 360 won't require you to, but schwab will need you to open a brokerage account

I know Bank of America was going to implement a charge to use their debit card, and because of protests, that idea got nixed.

Problem with banks in US is they are always looking ways to make money in fees, most common is when your account is overdrawn..like how cc would charge purchase interest charge.

I personally have both accounts with the big four as well as non b&m ones because I like the convenience of the big banks and benefits of the non-b&m but if I had to choose, I would probably do all my banking with schwab, their customer service is awesome.

Eta--schwab doesn't have any physical locations for you to add cash, checks can be deposited via phone app but I just have part of my wages deposited directly in there

If you need a bank where you actually can deposit cash/checks into ATM, go withdrawal large sums from teller, etc..I would consider opening an account with one of the big banks, as well as non-b&m like me

Edited by whitney

Yeah over time prices will drop here. It's kind new money too, people here are getting a taste for it. I don't like moaning about it because I love it here, but yet my English side loves a bitch. 

I just want a bank account I don't have to worry about about. Pay money into it and use it every now and then. I could be outa the states for a few months where I ain't using it. 

Awesome thanks Whitney!

I read about Trouble Coffee, you know anything about those guys? Keen to check out food trucks etc.. I wanted to catch a Football game 49's, but doesn't seem to be one on. 

Thanks for advice on banks, was giving me a headache looking online. UK and NZ there are all pretty much the same, although in NZ there is a lot of Aussie banks who try and fuck ya. 

Thanks for all the info Whitney!

Trouble coffee isnt far from my house... never been there tho... Heard good things? I usually just get four barrel in portola since its walking distance