usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

Going to SF in October for 3 nights with the wife as part of a cali coast trip for our anniversary.  Looking for a mix of institutional and new things to check out - bars, coffee, restaurants (would love to find a can't miss kinda place for a dinner or two - doesn't need to be 3 mich star or anything nuts), points of interest, cool stores to check out, etc.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Edited by pavlovs bell

i was recently having chinese food with my homie and he got to talking how he should be charging for sherpa service at chinese eateries. see, its not necessarily a specific dish that makes a chinese restaurant favorable, its the ordering of the food. you can go to some recommended joint and get some foodies favorite thing, but for the true experience that dish has to be balanced with all the other dishes that are ordered. theres an art to it and it can make or break a meal. the where, especially in a place littered with above par chinese joints like sf, is secondary to the how. in any case i usually try and make it out to san tung in sunset, its northern chinese, kind of almost korean, but not really. i like the woks at carousel, though theyre kinda on the greasy side. the wonton joint in the financial district on kearny is legit. but its been years since ive been to any of these spots and there is some serious dimished returns in regards to chinese joints that have reps.

as far as date fare, i recently went to aq in soma and it was legit. not sure if its michelin rated or anything. 

AQ looks awesome - thank you

Had dinner there before...my lady and I didnt really like it...super earthy with a weird taste to every dish....nice looking restaurant though and the price is decent.

PS: the last time i had dinner at in Sf was at Chez Maman....enjoyed it alot

I managed to score good rates at the Clift Hotel and Galleria Park hotel.  It's a wash either way.  Which hotel is the winner?

Stayed at the Clift for a night after eating at AQ. I like how the room has a really high ceiling and there is a big mirror on the wall at the end of the bed...very roomie....Havent stayed at Galleria though but i do like the Clift

Edited by 1995chardx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^yeah they really are 2 different beasts. the closest i ever had in town was el castillito on church across the street from ralphs. and it was merely close in comparison. that being said, i really like the huaraches along e14 in the fruitvale area. my joint was la torta loca

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Standard fare, since were in between holidays a lot of people I know are going out to the bars. More importantly, next weekend is Santa Con. I live in North Beach so I will probably be posted up near Washington Square and have a few bars in mind. 

my fave burrito in the bay is in san bruno... araujos I think... being from LA, I can't fuck wit el farralito for burritos at all, will never order one from there again... 

El farrolito is complete shit, I hate when people recommend the place. Chips are terrible, food is mediocre. If I want good non-authentic (but better) mexican food in sf I go to little chihuahua (my personal favorite, not the one in mission) or papalote. 

Edited by Fycus

El farrolito is complete shit, I hate when people recommend the place. Chips are terrible, food is mediocre. If I want good non-authentic (but better) mexican food in sf I go to little chihuahua (my personal favorite, not the one in mission) or papalote. 

Papalote's salsa is the best ive had in the city... 

180 in 1 year -> from interviewee to interviewer. this will be by september 16th 2014

B&B is more of experience but it's sister location local edition might work for you, went last year when it was new and music was OK, bartenders sweet (didn't pay for any of my drinks) but it was pretty crowded..nice look inside

I like tempest for the drinks and the food from box next door, also cute guys occasionally roam there.

Jones is also good, has decent beer food..

Depends on what you're looking for, besides clubby type which is basically anything not over on Columbus st,

Edited by whitney

• 2 weeks later...

^smugglers cove has good drinks and is a big spot but theres a line during most weekends. dont think its worth waiting in personally. Sugar is a few blocks away from smugglers cove and has free appetizers set up during happy hour on weekdays

bars on polk are kool since there's a lot and its super condensed. if you get tired of one theres like 10 more within 3 blocks.

If you're going to the mission you should hit up el rio i guess, drunk table curling is pretty fun and drinks are reaaaally cheap.

Dear mom is a nice place to chill/hangout, really close to my work so I'm usually there every day :/

• 2 weeks later...

I was there in October and I can agree the chips are shit. My girlfriend got nachos and they weren't good. I got the burrito and it was the best burrito I've ever had. I live in LA so I have had my fair share of pretty good Mexican food.

• 3 weeks later...

Just made reservations for Spruce for Valentines day - hope their menu won't be stupidly overpriced that day. I've wanted to try it out for awhile anyway - unless anyone else has a better suggestion?

edit: if anyone else is interested, just called and found out they're doing a prix fixe menu for $140 pp. You can call and find out whats on the menu.  

Edited by Method