usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

Was honestly underwhelmed by La Taqueria last time I was in SF...please tell me I went to the wrong one???

Obviously it's all personal taste but it's near impossible to not be impressed by the place (if you went to the right place).

Everything about their tacos and quesadillas is on point.

Did it look like this?

san_francisco_la_taqueria_0.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump - heading up this weekend. Any new eateries pop up since somebody last updated this thread?

Got to hit up Sons & Daughters and Chez Maman last time I was up (NYE)...I thought they were great

• 1 month later...

walking from union square (BART powell) to la taqueria on mission street at 11.30pm on a monday night, is it safe for a tourist who has never visited SF before?

are there any better places to grab a grub around SOMA/union square at that time?

Tommys Joynt?

Edited by paprik

Undefeated on hayes

The hundreds on post

Black scale on grant

New jack city on Guerrero

King of Thai on 7th ave... It's a purple building. on 23 ave n clemet best fattest burritos hella fresh too I pick that over la taqueria on 25th. Haights always fun to stroll down.

Undefeated on hayes

The hundreds on post

Black scale on grant

New jack city on Guerrero

King of Thai on 7th ave... It's a purple building. on 23 ave n clemet best fattest burritos hella fresh too I pick that over la taqueria on 25th. Haights always fun to stroll down.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to be in San Francisco in mid August. What are some good thrift stores or any other do not miss SF joints? Much thanks and appreciation for the knowledge.

walking from union square (BART powell) to la taqueria on mission street at 11.30pm on a monday night, is it safe for a tourist who has never visited SF before?

That's quite a walk. Couldn't you get the tram? I just got back from SF. I live in a pretty ropey part of London (Tottenham) and had thought i'd seen it all, but the are sections of Market Street that were pretty messed up. I didn't feel threatened as such, and nobody gave us any trouble, but damn. There were some strange people about.

Highlights of my trip...

Drinking at Toranado

Dinner at The Boxing Club - best meal i've had out in a long time.

Tartine Bakery

Namu Gaji for lunch by Dolores Park

Defina for dinner (x2)

Commonwealth for dinner

Anchor Brewery

Going to see the A's beat the Giants

Ferry to Alcatraz

Unionmade - wow. What a great shop.

Bourbon Steak for dinner

Countless great coffee places.

Golden Gate park

Amoeba records

Brilliant city. Loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

Driving up the Pac-1 this fall with my wife and we're gonna spend a few nights in SF. I'm oblivious to the hotel scene. What's a cool spot for a couple in their late 20's to stay? Ideally around $200-$300/night on the high end.

driving from.. so cal? nice scenic route, but thats going to take forever so either leave to catch the sunrise, or sunset.

as for a nice place, check out the 'JW Marriott' located in the Union Square'. The reviews speak for themselves, I would def stay there again

• 4 weeks later...

Heading to San Francisco next week - be in town the 4th-8th. Friends want to take me to Heirloom Cafe one night, and a friend in Chicago recommended Blue Plate. Already planning on hitting up Cafe Tartine. Also:

-Self Edge: I want me some black 3:16's

-Unionmade, just to kick the tires

Recommendations I could use (to anyone familiar with Chicago, I really like places like Scofflaw, the Whistler, Smallbar, and so on. I live in a Mission-esque area of Chicago):

-great whiskey/cocktail bar(s)

-great beer bar

These are all the non-cultural things I can think of right now. Staying with some old work friends who live in Cow Hollow (by their own admission they suspect we'll spend most of our time in the Mission, but that's "home base").

Also peep dat City Beer Store. They usually have some kewl vintages on tap at the bar area. Vintage bottles for on-site consumption only too

Swan Oyster Depot -- One of the best lunches to be found in the US

http://www.roadfood.....aspx?RefID=365

Used to love it there, but got some mad food sickness there and haven't been since.

This simp went Monday, got many basics, and still had cash enough for self edge. Min/Max.

• 3 weeks later...

Wifey and I are planning a long weekend in a couple weeks. We basically travel only for food. What do you think of our dinner itinerary?

Friday -- Saison (chef's counter)

Saturday -- Benu

Sunday -- SPQR

The first two are definites. Not sure about SPQR. We also have a res at Gary Danko, but I hear that place is like 15 years past its prime. Any other suggestions for similar options? Preferably something more casual after two tasting menus the first two nights we're there.

We're also looking for a burrito place, dim sum, and some cool street food. And places to drink... And people to drink with...

Shot in the dark -- does anyone have a hook up at Anchor? They're all booked for the brewery tour when we can go.

Lastly, I have a sense of the shopping I want to do (SE, Unionmade type stuff) but are there any good vintage watch shops?

Thanks!

Edited by ericdw