usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

I'm going to be in San Francisco from Saturday until Wednesday. I've been there a few times but my girl never has. What do you recommend that she should see? We'll be staying in the Haight area so things around there are a good start. Photography, music, shopping, food... Anything interesting is great. Selfedge is on the list along with Union Square because she's never been there. Any other suggestions would be welcome though.

China town, Pier, golden gate bridge, ferry building, your main stops if its one of your first times going as far as food goes.. check out calzones in little italy and if ur staying in the haight area theres a good pizza joint in haight n ashbury called Liberty pizza? i cant remember but its got a picture of the statue of liberty you cant miss it its a little bit before ameoba music Check out the OG ben n jerrys, but i woulndt recomment getting anything its like 5 bucks for a scoop of ice cream haha

randomly saw this thread ...

here is some other shit to do on an asian food tip around clement ...

go to burma superstar.

my girl is burmese but we get too faded to cook ... so we eat here.

fuck we grabbed take out today.

best burmese food you can pay for.

things to eat ...

tea leaf salad.

oh noh kauswer.

moh hinga.

curry is a preference but get one and pair it up with platha.

other shit is good too.

those are just my picks.

the line can suck, but i like this place.

try spices too. it's only a couple blocks away.

tofu hot pot is a pick.

some of the szechuan shit isn't pussy.

the girls who work there are rude, but you won't care.

enh while i'm at it ...

if you're around haight go to rosamunde.

they got crazy sausages ... feasent and shit in em ...

but the tuesday burgers ?

fucking amazing.

they make like 50 of them [limited edition]

again ... amazing.

if by some random ass chance you are around city college ...

go to roxie's.

best sandwiches in the city ... but i'm partial because i've ate them since i was a kid.

use yelp to find the spots i mention.

The name of the store is... 826 Valencia.

Which also happens to be the street address.

The story behind the store is really cool...

McSweeny's, the publishing company, wanted to open a kids creative writing lab on Valencia but the store-front was zoned for retail use.. and they fought with the city for a bit then said "fuck it, we're going to have a pirate supply store in the front then a kids writing lab in the back"..

They weren't expecting any of the pirate supply stuff to actually sell, but they marketed it so well that people actually go there to buy gifts and odd stuff like glass eyes, maps of the lost sea, lard for swabbing the deck, anti-scurvy medicines, etc..

Sounds interesting. I saw that it's a writing lab for kids... That's why I threw in the Hannah Arendt comment. Wasn't sure if the pirate front was a "front" or an actual store.

Thanks for the info. Looks like there's too many good places to eat.

Check out the Castro Theatre. They usually have different theme nights with cool shit like James Dean, or weird sci-fi. If you're a big ol' queen there are sing-a-long nights! Also the interior is beautiful.

Also, get stoned in Dolores Park and admire the beautiful view.

Thanks for the info. I'm staying a block from the Castro Theatre so I was planning on checking it out. Heard the Blue Angels and lots of militray ships are gonna be i the bay this weekend...

The name of the store is... 826 Valencia.

Which also happens to be the street address.

The story behind the store is really cool...

McSweeny's, the publishing company, wanted to open a kids creative writing lab on Valencia but the store-front was zoned for retail use.. and they fought with the city for a bit then said "fuck it, we're going to have a pirate supply store in the front then a kids writing lab in the back"..

They weren't expecting any of the pirate supply stuff to actually sell, but they marketed it so well that people actually go there to buy gifts and odd stuff like glass eyes, maps of the lost sea, lard for swabbing the deck, anti-scurvy medicines, etc..

So how does David Eggers fit into this? I had always been told that this was his brainchild. Is McSweeney's his publisher or something?

Rosemunde tuesday burgers are amazing. Yes, they really are as previously mentioned. Ask for chilli that they put on the sausages. $5.50 is a deal. Wash it down next door with a pint.

Ask checkout Pearl's Deluxe Burgers.

Roxie's is bomb shit. Used to be better, but still hard to beat. Pastrami on dutch crunch, warmed up.

Some other spots:

Turtle Tower- tenderlion location. Northern Chicken Pho, best pho broth Ive ever tasted. Actually, just went for lunch today.

Saigon Sandwiches.- best fuckin' vietnamese sandwiches, ever.

Ike's place-Sandwiches in the Castro area. A lot of hype, pretty good, worth checkin out.

Miller's East Coast Deli- Jewish style piled high Deli. Reuben's sandwiches.

Goodluck Dim Sum- Richmond Dist on Clement. Some cheap takeout dim sum. Some good sit down experience spots all around the Richmond District.

Papalote's Grill-Best Salsa. Two locations.

Kantana-ya (union Square)- Ramen house, open late.

Osha Thai-Consistent good thai. Multiple locations.

Taqueria Vallerta-Absolutely must visit for tacos. 24th and harrison street. $1.50 tacos, all day. open until whenever they decide to close. Best spot ever.

Coffee:

Blue Bottle, its a stand in Hayes Valley. Look it up. Drip by the cup.

Trouble Coffee-Punk rocker chick that makes the best Cappuccino in the city. Triple shot of Espresso and good foam.

I like food.

@ hot sauce

but you sure know your food

i go down to SF every once in a while for shopping and just chillin

There's some indian restaurant that's hella bomb. It's even got a hookah lounge combined. Sadly it's down in some shady part of town, up around the Bart, but it's called Mahal Tikka or something. Cheapest and best curry and rice dishes you could ever eat.

And go to Self Edge for some boss denim down Valencia Street :).

thanks everyone for their input. i just came back from sf last weekend. went to the following places:

1. lahore karahi-hands down the best chicken tikka masala ive ever had.

2. burma superstar-tried pretty much everything won ton mentioned, my gf is burmese as well so she ordered for everyone. the upside about the long wait is that they call u (by phone) when ur table is ready.

3. cha cha cha-tapas style cuban food. not bad i kept dipping my bread in the garlic shrimp sauce.

4. ferry building embarcadero-this place is ok. kinda just a touristy place to go for me with lotsa small specialty food shops. the oysters from that albino looking guy are good though.

side note: i doubt anyone cares but i ran into a bunch of the abdc crews since we were stayin at the same hotel. sadly i didn't bump into the hot black chick from fannie pack tho.

also, the archive clothing store mentioned before is like a goth ninja's dream. they carried attachment, the viridi-anne, rick owens, number (n)ine, julius, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am planning a trip to SF in late March with my girlfriend. We are currently deciding which hotel to stay at, its between Mosser, and Comfort inn by the bay. I have read a recommendation here for Mosser, but has anyone stayed at Comfort inn by the bay? Or have suggestions on either as far as location and proximity to shopping and eating spots? I feel like Mosser is closer to areas we'd be interested in.

• 1 month later...

some tips:

-burritos are the entire food pyramid. i've lived on 2 a day for the past month

-craigslist is your best friend, it's currently my only source of income.

-never get a car, motorcycle maybe..

-woman in the city... wait for them to get tipsy before making a move, otherwise you risk verbal abuse

-never take BART, it's a rip-off unless you're trying to get to the airport.

-buy my bus pass for $20. good til 5/23/09

• 3 weeks later...
what are the best museums here? i'm going to the MOMA tomorrow and whatever is around there, any help appreciated.

Do NOT miss the De Young museum!

http://www.famsf.org/deyoung/

Taking my girl to SF for her birthday next week 04/09- 04/12

We're staying at the Marriott Courtyard in Soma. I pretty much have my shopping planned out but could use a few more ideas for eating out and evening bars/clubs. My girl's vegetarian so some good veggie places would be dope. For me, I'd like to get some good fish being on the bay n all. I think we'd like to rent bicycles one day, anyone know any places?Thinking about seeing Camp Lo, Diamond D and treasure fingers sat night. Anything else going on? Maybe a new wave/ brit pop night? All ideas/suggestions are much appreciated.

• 2 months later...

bumping this since i'm heading into town and thereabouts for a few days towards the end of this month and thought i'd pass some of my thoughts past the hive mind for comments / recommendations... it's a few days in SF then a couple out in napa

pretty much the plan is to chill out, spend a lot of time outside (pref biking), eat a lot and not shop or party too much other than random ty segall show in portrero hill. hotel is near the ferry terminal bldg. bummed we are missing the giants' homestand - though it's against the pirates who i've already had the misfortune of seeing this season so thank god for that part i suppose.

in the city we're planning on renting bikes as a primary means of transportation, either blazing saddles or bay city bike which look like fisherman's wharf tourist traps but otoh look to be the best options in terms of kitting you out to go.

biking plans are one day do the presidio / golden gate park thing then the next do the ggb / marin thing. we're not mountain bikers unfortunately so need to stick to moderate level difficulty

likely food options include:

boulette's larder (brunch)

tartine

humphry slocombe (v mitchell's?)

mission street food

shanghai dumpling king (recs for other good XLB places welcome)

pastores / papalote / la torta gorda / poc chuc / el taqueria / el farolito taq

unlikely food options but still on the radar:

kitchenette

la mar cebicheria

i'm a little light on the following if anyone has any thoughts:

-artisanal chocolate place - i think i read something kiya posted on this in cacao?

-wine bar with loads of napa/sonoma wines by the glass to prepare for part 2 of the journey

-crap to do in sausalito once we bike there

-ferry bldg recommendations (or maybe the idea is just wander around which is cool)

PART 2

staying in yountville, biking around sonoma/napa hitting up wineries and eating

food:

ubuntu

fatted calf (takeout)

redd

antojitos la mixteca

ad hoc

winery recommendations welcome since all my favorite sonoma pinot places aren't open to the public / people not on their mailing lists. right now i have shafer and pride mountain on my radar. big into pinot noir, chardonnay, viognier, not so much rieslings/gewurtzrtraminer and neutral on cabs and zins.

thanks for reading this far and sorry about the logorrhea formatting