usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

there is a place right after ceasar chavez's on the right side if your coming from market, i believe it's now called la taqueria its near the San Jose taqueria it's the best hands down. Homeboy who owns it has hella awards it keeps being voted best burrito by locals ( the people who really know the city) and the line is out the door always. The Burrito's there are AMAZING! I am a SF/Eastbay Native and trust me ya'll this place is really really good! Get back at me and let me know what you think. I know SF inside out so if anyone has more questions just ask!!!!!!

Dude here knows his shit, listen to him.

Excellent, I will hit it up when I'm home for a couple weeks in August. And just to clarify, the place is on Mission, or in the Mission?

It's at 2889 Mission Street, three doors north of 25th street on the east side of the street. It's called La Taqueria.

You'll never forget the first time you eat at La Taqueria.

There are five things that instantly set it apart from the rest of the hundreds of taqerias:

1. It's the most expensive taqueria in the mission

2. They close at 9pm

3. They charge for chips/salsa

4. They ONLY have tacos, quesadillas, and burritos, NOTHING else.

5. They have no rice

Yeah, you read right, no rice.

But it doesn't matter, their tacos and quesadillas are the best i've had anywhere outside Mexico, and their burritos are amazing too. Make sure you ask for cheese/crema/guacamole on anything you get..

Make sure you ask for cheese/crema/guacamole on anything you get..

That is the trifecta of goodness. I have a market that has crema in town and it's clutch stuff. Thanks for the clarification, Kiya. Just how much are the burritos approximately?

Apartment hunting in SF is rather tricky, you can go through city apratments, which everyone hates them cause they go to buildings a supposedly gut them and then raise the rent way to much. The actuality is they only do patch ups and re paint a place, and the rent inflation isn't worth what they raise the price to. My suggestion to you is good ol' craigslist, otherwise just hit the town in your desirable neighborhood and look for a "for rent sign" that is black and orange for rent writing, i learned that most of the time these are owners or someone who wants to sublet. These are your best deals cause these people aren't gonna charge you these silly fee's and extra deposits. Tenant and future tenant laws in SF are ver ver very hardcore they protect the Tenant big time, so don't fall for the triple deposit the law in sf says you can only charge either first or last months rent and the deposit. So don't be a victim. Hope this is helpful to all. Damn i should charge for this info!!! But my love for home(SF) is too large so i try to spread it. You all can thank me once i'm back in town in October, cause right now i am living in Amsterdam. peace ya'll

What are some of the best 24 hour or late night (2am, 4am, 6am) restaurants in San Francisco?

or any good early breakfast places opening at 5 or 6am?

You can't ask for much late night in San Francisco.. but here's my list:

Sparky's Diner (I've been going here for half my life at ungodly hours..)

Bagdad Cafe

North Beach Pizza

Japantown Denny's (food is god awful as you can imagine, but it's a fun scene)

Original Joe's (it burnt down last year, but'll reopen this fall)

I'm guessing you've never lived here..

What the hell is "nopa"? west of western addition? there ain't nothing over there besides the bums that hang out in the pandhandle..

Duboce? Duboce is a street, not an area...

Cole Valley? That shit is beyond dead.

nopa is generally considered a neighborhood (and also the name of an ok restaurant). He was probably referring to the duboce triangle when he said duboce, which i agree is a great place to live. Cant vouch for Cole Valley though...

i fucking love the tamale lady!

before moving here[or right when you do], pick up Broke Ass Stuart's Guide to Living Cheaply in San Francsico.

It's basically a bible, that should never leave your side. I frequent the pages, and you, along with every other Franciscan, should.

I live on the border of Noe Valley and The Mission. Gorgeous area, 6 minutes from Castro. As for recommendations as to where to live, try the Mission, Castro, SOMA[only if you have a car, the T is a bitch], Noe, Pacific Heights, or The Marina. Do NOT live in the Tenderloin, Bayview, the Sunset or Visitacion Valley. The Loin, Bayview, and Visitacion are some of the most dangerous places to live in San Francisco. and the Sunset is just FUCKING BORING. Fog all the time, no sun, and avenues for [hella] days.

Anyway, that's just my POV. PM me if you have any other questions. I can recommend housing if you would like.

And grubstake of course and video cafe which is 24 hours and the newer nan and curry near union square, or the lucky penny. Osha til 3 or 4 or Yuck the pine crest or the spot right around the corner which is like light weight poshy for late night food and expensive but really good. Near the lori's diner. Damn i forgot the name.

Yuet Lee; Stockton & Broadway. Kinda expensive but hits the spot after a night of drinking. I want to say it's Cantonese, but don't quote me on that.

I'm also rather partial to Golden Boy Pizza in North Beach. The lines late at night are absolutely hellacious, so just make sure you're okay with the wait.

Someone asked about oysters earlier, I definitely enjoyed Anchor & Hope. However, I think I enjoyed Hog Island Oyster Co in the Ferry Building more. I think they have some ridiculous happy hour setup, if I'm not mistaken.

You can't ask for much late night in San Francisco.. but here's my list:

Sparky's Diner (I've been going here for half my life at ungodly hours..)

Bagdad Cafe

North Beach Pizza

Japantown Denny's (food is god awful as you can imagine, but it's a fun scene)

Original Joe's (it burnt down last year, but'll reopen this fall)

agree on everything but bagdad cafe. sure it's open late night, but i found to be not all that great.

to add to the list:

La tortilla on castro and 18th[closes at 2am]

Crepes a Go Go on 11th and Folsom; best crepes EVER open until 4 ish, or when they don't get business.

King of Thai Noodle on Geary and Mason[closes at 2:30 on weekends]

Naan and Curry on O'Farrell and Mason[24hr]

Mel's Diner on 4th and Mission. Overpriced 'diner' food with squeaky vinyl. [-1am/24hrs]

Lori's Diner on Mason and Geary. same as Mel's only always 24hrs. The other two on Powell are NOT 24 hours.

That cafe across the street from Lori's who's name slips my mind. 24hrs.

I was just at Original Joe's in May? Did i miss something?

YOU sayed somethings i already said and i remember the other place i was talking about it's called cafe mason. Anyway I'm a native so you got any questions i know more than 90 percent of these people.

I was just at Original Joe's in May? Did i miss something?

That's gotta be impossible.. it's been closed all year.

You're talking about the ORIGINAL Original Joe's?

The one on Taylor half a block north of Market?

YOU sayed somethings i already said and i remember the other place i was talking about it's called cafe mason. Anyway I'm a native so you got any questions i know more than 90 percent of these people.

I'm more native that you.

There were like two overlaps? One of which i didn't realize until i remembered the name of the one across from the Loris[Pinecrest]

Anyway, i think anyone who is providing recommendations is a native, so step off the horse. Perspective doesn't have to come from someone who has lived there longer.

That's gotta be impossible.. it's been closed all year.

You're talking about the ORIGINAL Original Joe's?

The one on Taylor half a block north of Market?

I was referring to the one in the loin, on [i believe] Sutter and something. I'll ask a friend today and get back.

I shit you not, i made the venture through the Loin with some of my friends just to go there, it's really good, and the staff is all Vietnamese.

Lahore @ 612 offarel cheap and good

dosa @ 995 Valencia - great food,ambiences, price reasonable

where's the best restaurant for indian/pakistani food?

so far my favorite is Aslam's Rasoi on Valencia, im not an expert on indian food or anything but i really love the food there. if anyone has better recommendations i'm really interested in hearing them

Comparing Aslam and Dosa is like comparing Japanese to Chinese food.

Indian food is greatly broken up into three types, sometimes four..

One of those is South Indian which is the MOST different out of the three. For starters, there's no meat.. and the dishes are rarely ever family style, and they do a lot with fried breads, roti, etc..

So yeah, i don't like Dosa either.. For real South Indian food you have to either go to Berkeley or Annapoorna in San Mateo.

Note: Oddly enough, the second South Indian restaurant in San Francisco just opening three days ago, guess where? THREE DOORS DOWN FROM DOSA.

I guess they figure they'll get the diners that don't want to wait that long for a table..