usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

you both were very helpful. Thanks!

anyone else want to weigh in?

Is the richmond district primarily asian?

Would a goofy-looking white dude with a beard feel/look out of place.

It sounds awesome with the groceries/trains/library/etc.

I'm not necessarily looking to be in the center of a thriving night life, but I would like good transportation access, some cheap food and a place to get a few beers nearby.

thanks again. and anyone else keep the info coming.

edit: this might be out of left field, but does anyone know of any good pickup soccer games/leagues/fields?

I don't think so..@ white guy with beard comment cos my neighbors were like that, also had some spanish and blacks but I used the asian comment cos they refer to the clement street bxn 2nd avenue and park presidio as "little chinatown"

But its much more quiet, WAY more clean and definitely more mixed ethnic wise cos chinatown is basically all chinese food and vendors with a bit of vietnamese mixed in.

where are you moving from?san fran is a melting pot of every culture you can think off. living in perfect harmony.no one is trippin or cares for that matters.

you both were very helpful. Thanks!

anyone else want to weigh in?

Is the richmond district primarily asian?

Would a goofy-looking white dude with a beard feel/look out of place.

It sounds awesome with the groceries/trains/library/etc.

I'm not necessarily looking to be in the center of a thriving night life, but I would like good transportation access, some cheap food and a place to get a few beers nearby.

thanks again. and anyone else keep the info coming.

edit: this might be out of left field, but does anyone know of any good pickup soccer games/leagues/fields?

I'm a huge advocate for the Mission District which in my opinion has the best mix of cheap food, great drinks at good bars, good local stores, no chain/corporate businesses, an amazing park (Dolores), and has TWO BART stops which means super fast and easy access downtown and to the East Bay.

PS, i grew up at 42nd and Balboa (Richmond), and i'd kill myself if i lived that far out primarily because everything i want to do is in the Mission/Hayes/SOMA area and i like to ride or walk to places...

Here is a quick list of my favorite things in SF:

Stores

Huf (located on Sutter)

Fatlace in Japantown (located on Post st)

Self Edge for Denim

Find some good stuff on Haight (they have Stussy, True, and some pretty decent thrift stores)

Food (Note I am a student so these are all good cheap budget places :) ):

El Toritos on Mission for some good, cheap, late night mexican food

Kitaro's in the Richmond District for some good, cheap, japanese

Seniores on 19th has some good pizza.

Crepe Vine on Irving

Other Places:

111 Minna Gallery

Milk Bar

Amoeba Records

Idle Hands on Haight and Picture Machine on Geary for tattoos (if youre looking for that kind of thing.)

As for having a car, I find that you don't really need one. Muni comes around every 15 minute and Bart takes everywhere outside of SF.

I'm moving to San Francisco in 5 weeks and I'm not taking anything with me so I need help. I'll be needing everything to fill a small studio (location yet to be decided).

-Clothing stores (I know there's a thread for this, updated info here would be appreciated)

-Furniture stores (cool second hand / antique / affordable stuff)

- House stuff

- Cool book stores / music stores (used / new)

-Restaurants / bars

-Date spots

Absolutely any and everything you have on the city is going to be a huge help. I've been once, kind of moving out there blindly, don't know anyone or where anything is.

Also looking for a job, any leads also appreciated. Currently work high end retail, probably looking for something along those lines unless I can find something better.

Thanks in advance.

craigslist sf has a strong following and im sure you could find some free/cheap furniture around there....

for clothing shops use sufu,

i mean apart from the obvious ones like self edge

on haight ashbury there are some cool shops for books and records,

but if you want music go to amoeba in Berkley or haight

they guys working there might be douches,

but they have a huge selection...

obvious stuff like ikea and shit you can just google

what general area are you going to be in?

I don't know where I'm going to be living yet.

Kiya suggested Mission. for cool bars and restaraunts

I was looking at anything close to union square / civic center because it will be close to the places I'm trying to get a job at. Seems there are some studios around civic center for $1000 . whats the area like?

You don't want to live anywhere near Civic Center, no matter how enticing the cheap rent is. I second Kiya's suggestion for Mission. It's 5 minute bus ride or 10 minute bike ride to Union Sq. anyway.

As for second hand furniture, you can't beat Craigslist. There are some good shops in Lower Haight as well.

For drinks and shooting the shit with friends, I like Edinburgh Castle and the numerous dive bars in Mission.

You're gonna be constantly surrounded by bums/crackheads and tourists if you live around Civic Center/Union Square areas. Personally, I really like Hayes Valley and Lower Haight. Chill vibes and still very close to Civic Center and Union Square. Also very close to Mission.

You're gonna be constantly surrounded by bums/crackheads and tourists if you live around Civic Center/Union Square areas. Personally, I really like Hayes Valley and Lower Haight. Chill vibes and still very close to Civic Center and Union Square. Also very close to Mission.

One of the best nights of my life was spent listening to a bum tell me his life story outside a Carl's Jr behind the Parc 55. Don't discount the bums.

so the general consensus is not civic center...are these other suggested places going to have places for $1000-$1100 ?

yes craigslist and ikea are obvious, just curious about other options, specific stores... I'm not going to have a car there so it's going to be difficult buying things on craigslist...but second hand stores would be great because alot of them offer delivery.

anyone know of good buildings or good property management firms?

this is difficult because I really don't know what I'm going to be able to afford because I don't know how much money I will be making. don't have a job lined up just yet.

You're better off finding a roommate. 1000 is cuttin it close, even for the Tenderloin. Anything above Geary St. is okay though IMO, and you might be able to find a studio in Lower Nob Hill in your price range (1300 would be ideal). But you could live in a nicer facility/area and save a few hundred bucks by finding a roommate on Craigslist. It's good for roommates but not so much for outright renting an apartment because the prices are jacked up and the places are fugazi (no kitchen, shared bathroom, 1-year lease, etc). Plus you might need a co-signer if you don't have a job or don't make enough money.

Other sites that might help you: http://www.metrorent.com

http://apartmenthunterz.com/

You're better off finding a roommate. 1000 is cuttin it close, even for the Tenderloin. Anything above Geary St. is okay though IMO, and you might be able to find a studio in Lower Nob Hill in your price range (1300 would be ideal). But you could live in a nicer facility/area and save a few hundred bucks by finding a roommate on Craigslist. It's good for roommates but not so much for outright renting an apartment because the prices are jacked up and the places are fugazi (no kitchen, shared bathroom, 1-year lease, etc). Plus you might need a co-signer if you don't have a job or don't make enough money.

Other sites that might help you: http://www.metrorent.com

http://apartmenthunterz.com/

ya I know, in Dallas I pay $565 for rent (share a 2bed/2bath 1000sq ft) $250/month in gas and $100/ month insurance... if I make the same amount of money $1000 seems no problem. but I'm planning on making more money so perhaps I can afford more... I just want to be able to enjoy the city, I won't be home much.

checked metro already, others i've found...

sfrent.net

citiapartments.com

murphy-apartments.com

I think I'll find something through one of these.

nopa,hayes valley, duboce,cole valley

I'm guessing you've never lived here..

What the hell is "nopa"? west of western addition? there ain't nothing over there besides the bums that hang out in the pandhandle..

Duboce? Duboce is a street, not an area...

Cole Valley? That shit is beyond dead.

You should be able to find a studio in the mission/soma/hayes area for around $1k... For about that much in those areas you'd be getting a decent sized studio though, probably part of a house of sorts with a porch, hardwood floors, fireplace, etc..

You should be able to find a studio in the mission/soma/hayes area for around $1k... For about that much in those areas you'd be getting a decent sized studio though, probably part of a house of sorts with a porch, hardwood floors, fireplace, etc..

Thanks, sounds good. do you know of any managment groups with properties in those areas around that price range?

Do not get in the water when visiting the Bay Area.

I recommend the following beaches for swimming..

Stinson Beach

Half Moon Bay

Santa Cruz - Boardwalk, 41st, Capitola

there is a place right after ceasar chavez's on the right side if your coming from market, i believe it's now called la taqueria its near the San Jose taqueria it's the best hands down. Homeboy who owns it has hella awards it keeps being voted best burrito by locals ( the people who really know the city) and the line is out the door always. The Burrito's there are AMAZING! I am a SF/Eastbay Native and trust me ya'll this place is really really good! Get back at me and let me know what you think. I know SF inside out so if anyone has more questions just ask!!!!!!