usa :: san francisco :: general

CapitalH

ey tyro. what u gonna be in sf for? I'll be there friday night til monday night

nothing really, just travelling around the U.s. before I head beack to AUs.

might go check out self edge today, and that area.

nothing really, just travelling around the U.s. before I head beack to AUs.

might go check out self edge today, and that area.

oh wooord! i'm tryin to check out that spot too. i'm in the haight right now & i got no idea what i'm gonna be doin.

• 1 month later...

Im flying down from Seattle on Saturday morning (arriving at 830am) and flying back that evening (leave 430pm) just for shits and giggles. What would you guys recommend for someone spending like 6 hours downtown whos never been?

San Franscisco on a budget and crazy time limit...

You blew up the spot, bitch!

That shit was blown when they showed up to the Superfuture party..

Oh wait i forgot, everybody was too wasted to realize there was an entire gelato stand inside the store.

Guest chemi

Late passe, this is my experience for around the Mission:

Budget spots:

- taqueria cancun

- el farolito

- el zocalo (i've never been, but serg loves this place)

- cha cha cha

- arinell pizza

- papalote

- we be sushi

- cha-ya

There's also always bacon dog carts out mostly by the bart stations and if you ever see the tamale lady, you should cop

Breakfast wise, st francis fountain is my favorite by a mile. i used to go every sat. it's kinda more out there on 24th and bryant, but it's a quick bike ride

There's other places for breakfast in the heart of the mission like boogaloos, but their french toast is pretty whatever and there is always a crazy ass line and long wait. i think they are kind of overrated. the porkstore cafe has good breakfast though.

not so budget but pretty great

- maverick

- tokyo go go

- front porch

- delfina

- walzwerk <---i love this place

- andale

- blue plate

Also, Mitchell's Ice Cream is the best. They have the traditional favorites, but also some tropical ice cream like avocado, lychee, ube that is very very good. They stay open until 11PM.

Also do not go to Herbivore. their food is either bland as hell or inedible-y over-salted. Worse seitan sandwich i've ever had. i honestly think that the only reason why it is packed all the time is because vegans don't have many options for eating out.

Also, Mitchell's Ice Cream is the best. They have the traditional favorites, but also some tropical ice cream like avocado, lychee, ube that is very very good. They stay open until 11PM.

Mitchell's Ice Cream is San Francisco's version of Supreme... but that queue shit happens... EVERY FUCKING DAY.

here are some mores places i like to eat at around the Mission:

Tartine Bakery - best destination for baked goods.

Spork - i walk to this cool little restaurant all the time.. one of my favorite places for dinner. dont forget to ask for free dinner rolls.

Little Star Pizza - deep dish or thin crust, best pizza ive had in SF. actually, best pizza ive had in the entire bay area. if u dont believe me, ask mrip, selectivebeef, or winq.

Aslam Rasoi - indian/pakistani food, hella good... i come here all the time

Foreign Cinema- great for brunch. have not tried dinner there yet, but seems cool though because they show foreign films on the projector everynight

Esper pento - where i go to eat tapas and drink sangria.

Frijtz - belgian fries and crepes.

Mitchell's Ice cream. Bi-rite is really good too, but not as much selection.

El Farolito ... only for the suiza quesadilla.

a new place recently opened called Beretta, where Last Supper Club used to be. pretty good pizza and antipastas for decent prices.

there's so much more.. the mission area is loaded w/ great places to eat... cant name them all.

chemi, ur right, boogaloo is hella overrated. i dont understand why ppl always wait out there like that. i gotta try that st francis fountain you speak of for breakfast. sometimes i head over to Hayes Valley to eat brunch at Stacks, that place is good.

• 3 weeks later...
best place to eat oysters in san francisco...???

list some for me.

Anchor & Hope.

Its very likely that I'll be coming with my brother to SF in August... I was wondering whats the best way (except renting a car) to get from SF to Berkeley and O.C. and how much it costs?

SF to Berkeley = http://www.bart.gov

OC? You mean Orange County? Rent a car (takes 6 or 7 hours depending on traffic through LA), or fly.

Yeah, I meant Orange County. I had no clue it was that far, I thought it was something like three hours.

Any ideas on a nice beach where we could go swimming? I've heard that the SF Bay is kind of cold so I was thinking about O.C., but it doesn't seem like its much of an option...

I'm also intent on visiting Self Edge. ;)

Yeah, I meant Orange County. I had no clue it was that far, I thought it was something like three hours.

Any ideas on a nice beach where we could go swimming? I've heard that the SF Bay is kind of cold so I was thinking about O.C., but it doesn't seem like its much of an option...

I'm also intent on visiting Self Edge. ;)

Do not get in the water when visiting the Bay Area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

is renting a car necessary when visiting SF? or will the public transportation take care of my needs. I'll be checking out different neighborhoods, since I'll be moving to the city at the end of the year.

on that note, any recommendations on the best places to live? I'll most likely be looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom, under $2k/month and pet friendly. Help me out.

edit: was thinking of richmond or sunset, due to proximity to ocean/park. But since I have been to the city since I could walk I really have no clue.

You don't need a car if you live in the inner city, and really you don't need a car regardless of where you live just as long as you're ok with waiting for buses.

The best neighborhoods for location, near the subway (BART), price, and shit to do are:

The Mission

Hayes Valley

Castro

Noe Valley

SOMA

I love the Richmond district more then sunset but maybe that's just the asian in me. I used to live on 8th between balboa and anza and it was the best.

There was a safeway two blocks away (newly remodeled) and you can take the 44 through golden gate park into the sunset (or walk and explore the deYoung)

There's also a public library, walgreens, green apple used bookstore, supermarkets w/fresh groceries and seafood, recreational park, various types of restaurants and fast food, cafes, bakeries..all within a ten block radius. There's dim sum, singaporean, malaysian, burmese, french, american, chinese, japanese, vietnamese, thai, and surprisingly a lot of pizza parlors.

The 38, 21, 5, 31 and 2 will all take you to downtown passing through japantown and vanness area. The 1 will go straight to chinatown and walk a bit you can take the 28/29 which also takes you to the sunset/ocean avenue.

Transportation is not a problem once you get used to the muni/bart system. Taxis are easy to hail along geary blvd and honestly when I lived there I rarely took the bus except to go to work.