japanese punk

mlproject

sledgehammer

strong crowd was great! video is awesome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kFgkWo8rxhs

youtube comments:

Heil Tojo! Heil Japan from Germany!

Hail from Germany!!!

We are still comrades of the fight!

One day we will beat the scum and throw it out

of our Lands!

dearest germans please translate:

stalin war ein held und der befreier von sozialem elend!

die hakenkreuz falge wurde übrigens den persern entwendet !(inofiziel)

p.s.:du bist bestimmt stolz arier zu sein!

lol

google mal den begriff arisch dann wirst du sehen das Perser &inder die arier sind !

die national sozialisten haben es sich einfach so übernommen!

einzelkampf...pff... dir is schon klar das stalin groß und stark war?

hitler : die über null!

And Shikabane. I love Shikabane.

Shikabane is awesome. My band was supposed to go to Japan to tour with them back in 98 or 99, but our bass player cme down with Lyme disease and the whole deal got fucked. Still pissed about it to this day.

• 3 weeks later...

I am bumping this because I found that a few people on YouTube have uploaded clips from the Tokyo Rockers documentary, including the lovely SS -- probably the best quality recording of them in existence.

LdsutTporAU

Inu, Friction, Ultra Bide, PAIN, SS, Jagatara, Gaseneta, Henshin Kirin.

original ultra bide is a classic, gasaneta beyond reproach. i'd also add murahachibu to the list, they're kind of like a jumped up dolls but actually predated them. friction is decent but always thought of them as more of a no wave band. second on the previous post about the stalin.

renzoku shasatsuma had some great stuff though kind of all over the map stylistically. same with juke/19, kind of the swell maps of japan.

jagatara just defies description and can't believe someone's name checking them, haven't heard much from them but a friend is obsessed and sent me a bunch of live performance dvds. suffers from the zorn association though.

i'm not a punk rocker but that's a pretty good list up there.

jagatara just defies description and can't believe someone's name checking them, haven't heard much from them but a friend is obsessed and sent me a bunch of live performance dvds. suffers from the zorn association though.
What is the Zorn association? I've actually never heard the two connected in any way.. The only thing I can think of is that Masami Shinoda's band has the compilation release on Tzadik.

This performance by them is so incredible. The show was scheduled for the early morning because soon afterwards, Endo was off to the mental hospital. It was released as 君と踊りあかそう日の出を見るまで (We will dance with you until the sun rises) and is absolutely phenomenal. I would love to track down the full video.

and a classic picture of Edo, from something that Harumi Yamazaki had written.

edodf2.jpg

What is the Zorn association? I've actually never heard the two connected in any way.. The only thing I can think of is that Masami Shinoda's band has the compilation release on Tzadik.

he guest appeared on sorekara, which i think is fairly late.

there was a high crossover of jagatara into renzoku shasatsuma so definitely check them out if you haven't already. i think bloody butterfly put out a 2cd retrospective at some point. i also recommend rosa luxemburg, more new wave than punk and a little dated at times but there are some gems in their catalog as well.

oh yeah and the first hijokaiden (zouro no kibyo) is a stone cold classic, not much of a recognizable rock structure there but a massive artifact of the time

• 1 year later...

I've been listening to a lot of japanese punk as of late.. Don't know if these have been mentioned but i'll post them:

9mm parabellum bullet

Doping Panda

ACIDMAN

ELLEGARDEN

Punk~en~ciel

radwimps

These are some of my favs so far. I've listened to polysics, but their new sound I don't seem to like all too much.

• 9 months later...