BIG not hemming others jeans???

swisloc

so i just took a new pair of 5EP (thanks for the deal, godmother!) to BIG to get hemmed only to be told turned down. gordon wasn't there, only the woman who works there that i've seen working on the tailoring from time to time. the reason she gave was the felled inseam...

i told her that ive had another pair of 5ep's and two pairs of APC hemmed there (all felled inseams) including those i was wearing at the time (which i showed her).

does anyone know if they've stopped hemming service alltogether (besides, of course, those they sell)? If so, i'm disappointed.

Call or email Gordon. I never had any problems, they hemmed few pairs of jeans that I got somewhere else.

as have i, four pairs in total, which is why i was so surprised...i guess there is always 45rpm, but they charge $20 now.

why couldn't she do it because of the felled inseam?

i don't know, that's just what she said. i makes no sense to me, but she doesn't speak english too well, so i didn't press the issue. i just emailed gordon, we'll see what he says about it.

How much does BIG charge for hemming?

they charge 10 bucks. and to the above poster, i don't ALWAYS want to buy my jeans there, there are other brands i like, but i do want a chainstiched hem if possible.

UPDATE: gordon emailed me back and said that his chainstich machine is a double needle machine and isn't made for hemming (where only one needle is used): this puts uneven pressure on the needle making it hard to make a straight seem. this is further exacerbated by the felled inseam as it is thicker than an overlocked inseam. so the short story is: it takes longer, his machine isn't made for this purpose in the first place, people bring him shitloads of APC's from down the street with felled inseams, so he's trying to get away from doing that...

there you go.

i have no idea what a felled inseam is, but was hoping to get them to hem my one wash slim prps'. anyone know if those have a felled inseam or can tell me what one is exactly? thanks.

encyclopedia thread. i don't believe prps are felled, but i've never owned them, so...

A similar thing happened when I visited the 45rpm store in Paris last year, Stephane said that his Union Special machine was only equipped to hem jeans of under 14 oz only and after I watched him hem I could see why, it's a surprisingly skilled job and as the machine reached the two seams at the inseam and the outseam I could tell the machine was under duress.

I have researched Union Special hemmers and as far as I can tell there is only one vintage one made specifically for the hem of jeans. That coupled with a motor with a high torque should allow the hemming of even 21oz Ironhearts. I am in the midst of procuring one now so may have a solution around summertime for Europeans and everyone else who doesn't mind shipping across the pond :)

IMO they should just do a case-by-case thing. Hem those which aren't too much trouble, hem anyone's who buys them at the store, and take the 5EPs and other felled inseams when they have extra time...

And don't hem APCs at all. APCs don't even have a chainstitched hem in the first place.

Are there any places in Chelsea that do chainstitched hems or decent reattached original hems for a reasonable price? Last time I had a pair of jeans hemmed by a Korean lady near FIT and she messed up my jeans by accidentally making one pant leg shorter than the other by an inch!

Union Special machine was only equipped to hem jeans of under 14 oz only and after I watched him hem I could see why, it's a surprisingly skilled job and as the machine reached the two seams at the inseam and the outseam I could tell the machine was under duress.

Gordon hemmed my 19oz Samurais, and I've seen his work on chainstitch w/ felled inseams - he is very good. The lady you talked to might have been his wife - sometimes they speak Japanese together.

Are there any places in Chelsea that do chainstitched hems or decent reattached original hems for a reasonable price? Last time I had a pair of jeans hemmed by a Korean lady near FIT and she messed up my jeans by accidentally making one pant leg shorter than the other by an inch!

ummm... i'm really not sure why you are posting this here, but...

there are two places to get chainstiched hems in NYC (AFAIK). 45rpm and BIG. as far a reataching seams, anyone tailor can do that.

Gordon hemmed my 19oz Samurais, and I've seen his work on chainstitch w/ felled inseams - he is very good. The lady you talked to might have been his wife - sometimes they speak Japanese together.

dude. read the whole thread. i talked directly to gordon about the situation, it is resolved.

also, he actually told me that he is NOT very good at chainstiching, because, A) his machine is not made for stiching with a single needle, and B) he is missing the attachment that holds the rolled fabric pre-stich in tension. which is precisely why he is not doing felled seams anymore. they are harder to roll than overlocked seams.

ummm... i'm really not sure why you are posting this here, but...

there are two places to get chainstiched hems in NYC (AFAIK). 45rpm and BIG. as far a reataching seams, anyone tailor can do that.

Cuz I'd like to have a nice pair of Evisu 0002s hemmed and don't want them f'ed up like my last pair of jeans that were hemmed.

I've spoken to the lady there and while her command of the English language isn't stellar, she tries very hard to be helpful and is very diligent about passing messages on to Gordon. I think that counts for a lot.

Plus she's bilingual and I'm not so I ain't saying shit.