M.O.A

which coast is better  

191 members have voted

1. 1. which coast is better

• west
    • east

Guest youngteam
check a map, florida is east coast.

when someone references the east coast, no one thinks of florida. fair or not, the east coast usually comprises the area between washington d.c. and boston. consider texas -- everyone knows texas is at the southernmost part of the country, but it isn't considered part of the deep south.

but mainly i was referring to the fact that florida is a fucking cultural backwater and no one should want to live there. no hate.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but mainly i was referring to the fact that florida is a fucking cultural backwater and no one should want to live there. no hate.

that's not entirely true, depends on what kind of culture you're looking for.

i actually had a lengthy conversation earlier with my girlfriend about what people think

about when they think of florida.

i think of the south when i think of parts of florida. i also think of rotting old people.

but then, i think of miami, and i'm down with miami. it's not for the beach and bitches that art basel is held there, and little havana is the motherfucking shit.

Just moved back to SF from Boston. I loved Boston, and NYC is amazing, but CA will always be home. It's just so damn nice! And the produce, oh man. AND THE BURRITOS

i'd be interested to know how many people here ARE transplants to what ever city they are supporting in this thread. geographers say demographics show we are the first generation of americans to move en masse great distances from our place of birth/where we were raised. we also move more often (on average) than any generation in history (based largely on it being much easier to move now, and globalization generalizing local culture to the point where assimilation is easier).

not to make this thread overly academic, but i imagine although it seems most of us live in major cities now, many were not raised there, so if we start talking about a cities or residents "authenticity", is that even relavent? is any city really authentic now? people move so much that the culture of an area can change greatly within a decade, and given the fast change, it may also be possible for transplants to know a city well in a shorter period of time, given that they are partly responsible for changing it.

for instance, i am a transplant new yorker of five years, and have argued with onemancult about the validity of this in other threads. while respecting his opinon on the matter, i would argue that for every informed born-and-raised new yorker like onemancult i could find 10 born-and-raised new yorkers who knew far less about the city in its current state than myself, or someone like miz, for instance...

i'd be interested to know how many people here ARE transplants to what ever city they are supporting in this thread. geographers say demographics show we are the first generation of americans to move en masse great distances from our place of birth/where we were raised. we also move more often (on average) than any generation in history (based largely on it being much easier to move now, and globalization generalizing local culture to the point where assimilation is easier).

not to make this thread overly academic, but i imagine although it seems most of us live in major cities now, many were not raised there, so if we start talking about a cities or residents "authenticity", is that even relavent? is any city really authentic now? people move so much that the culture of an area can change greatly within a decade, and given the fast change, it may also be possible for transplants to know a city well in a shorter period of time, given that they are partly responsible for changing it.

for instance, i am a transplant new yorker of five years, and have argued with onemancult about the validity of this in other threads. while respecting his opinon on the matter, i would argue that for every informed born-and-raised new yorker like onemancult i could find 10 born-and-raised new yorkers who knew far less about the city in its current state than myself, or someone like miz, for instance...

It's not about "how much you know". Plenty of New Yorkers practice blind appreciation, or just "take it for granted". If your from here, and you use the city, we cool. Simple as that. No lengthy diatribe needed. If OMC or ABELnyc wants to come on here and wax poetic about "them good ol days", shit, we can do that too.

Bottom line, I'm interested in people who are interested in the world. When I come to your hometown of Portland, ME, do I just hit up the harbor, do a little mailboat run on the ferry and consume crustacians?

Nah...

I visit my uncle at his acupuncture shop, I ride my bike around in the dead of night getting up, I walk paths where the grickle grass still grows to see what I find. I stay in a cabin where we drink the rain out on Long, and spend my days picking mussels, and photographing.

Its not really about who's from where at the end of the day, its about sincerity of intention, and a healthy respect for strangers.

I rep the East the way I do because I admire our perserverence against percieved odds. The underdog mentality. Sure NYC is the "city of the world", but as a heap of people already mentioned, the west side has better snow, skate, surf, weather...all that shit. Right?

Maybe.

But if you Surfed at Rockaway Christmas morning with snow on the ground, skated the worl financial centers buttery marble ledges, or got pumped and built lil kickers in Riverside park at the first sign of ample snow fall. (Blizzard of '96 anyone?), you recognize a certain beauty in the imperfections. New York was really on some Wabi sabi shit back then (I see you Miz...)

THAT'S what I love, and THAT"S what I Rep, THAT"S why I wear it on my arms, and that's that....

RAISED BY WOLVES, i totally, agree, and this is my point exactly. you are not from maine, but you can speak intelligently "knowing" that lobster and the Old Port aren't the be all and end all. this is what i meant by "what you know". what you know is more than facts, locations, etc. knowledge in the wholly epistemological sense, not just remembering where a store or restaurant is (perhaps it should be revised to read "how you know"). so that's what i'm saying (which, it seems to me, is the same as you), it's not about "where you were raised". especially these days, so it bugs me when people say it IS about where you were raised, no matter how intellignetly they frame their arguement.

EDIT: obviously there are exceptions. if someone were say, raised amish, i wouldn't expect to "know" anything about that by going to dutch country. or if you were literally raised by wolves i wouldn't expect to "know" anything about being a feral child by going camping. but every immigrant, no matter from where has access to knowledge of urban environments.

i used to get in so many arguements with my old roommates because he used to refer to NYC as "the city". I'm still not convinced that NYC is the place to be. I love going there, but I don't know if i could live there. Philly is amazing. Boston, Providence, Portland (ME), fuck even Hartford and New Haven all have their own distinct personalities. Really surprised no one has repped B-more yet.

West Coast is err...West Coast. I've flipped a coin hundreds of times to ponder if i wanted to move out there, and I still find myself here on the east. it's pretty true everywhere, but remember that episode of South Park where they leave south park and move to San Francisco because of the pollution? And they go to SF and expericene the "smug"? That's all i think about when you SF'ers talk to me.....farting into a wine glass and smelling it.

yeah, that's the beautiful thing about new york. we have to fight for everything we have. the west has it so easy so they tend to take everything for granted. in NYC, it's harder to take shit for granted and that's what gives new yorkers their hunger, their resourcefulness.

access to snow

westcoast:

access to the best slopes in oregon, cali, nevada and canada. you can snow all year round on mt. hood. you can snow in your t-shirt during the spring in cali and get a tan at the same time.

eastcoast:

we don't have as much snow, but we take advantage of whatever we can get.

blizzard of '96 - we turned new york into a ghetto aspen.

when it snows - we turn frozen concrete into ice skating rinks. we turn a little hill and a trash can lid into a hood ski resort. and cats still sling on the corner no matter how cold it gets. well, if it gets too cold, you can meet them in the project lobby.

transportation

westcoast:

get in your car, turn on the radio, drive leisurely amongst very courteous drivers until you park in your office parking lot.

nyc:

you trek through either snow or unbearable heat until you reach the subway station. you get on the train that is usually running late or on a different route. you push yourself into a mass of business people, tourists, homeless guys, junkies and thugs and have to stand carrying all your crap until you get to your stop, where you have to push your way through the incoming train traffic.

even if you drive you're still screwed. we have alternate side parking here, that means you can't even park on certain sides of the street during certain hours or you get a fat ticket. driving in new york will give you the skills of a nascar driver. everyone is trying to kill you on the FDR and forget about the jackie robinson.

this is just a couple things that westcoasters take for granted.

yeah, that's the beautiful thing about new york. we have to fight for everything we have. the west has it so easy so they tend to take everything for granted. in NYC, we don't take shit for granted and that's what gives new yorkers their hunger, their resourcefulness.

access to snow

westcoast:

access to the best slopes in oregon, cali, nevada and canada. you can snow all year round on mt. hood. you can snow in your t-shirt during the spring in cali and get a tan at the same time.

eastcoast:

we don't have as much snow, but we take advantage of whatever we can get.

blizzard of '96 - we turned new york into a ghetto aspen.

when it snows - we turn frozen concrete into ice skating rinks. we turn a little hill and a trash can lid into a hood ski resort. and cats still sling on the corner no matter how cold it gets. well, if it gets too cold, you can meet them in the project lobby.

transportation

westcoast:

get in your car, turn on the radio, drive leisurely amongst very courteous drivers until you park in your office parking lot.

nyc:

you trek through either snow or unbearable heat until you reach the subway station. you get on the train that is usually running late or on a different route. you push yourself into a mass of business people, tourists, homeless guys, junkies and thugs and have to stand carrying all your crap until you get to your stop, where you have to push your way through the incoming train traffic.

even if you drive you're still screwed. we have alternate side parking here, that means you can't even park on certain sides of the street during certain hours or you get a fat ticket. driving in new york will give you the skills of a nascar driver. everyone is trying to kill you on the FDR and forget about the jackie robinson.

this is just a couple things that westcoasters take for granted.

fuck that, if you're doing comparisons, for snowboarding/skiing. IF YOU CAN SKI IN THE ICE OF THE POCONOS, YOU CAN SKI ANYWHERE.

"Its not really about who's from where at the end of the day, its about sincerity of intention"

words to live by.

like i said, what i really hate is people who move somewhere and don't appreciate to the fullest extent where it is that they are. people who don't invest in where they live, who don't internalize some part of their environment, people who take the fact that they

live wherever it is they live for granted.

'having a roof over your head isn't guaranteed- learn to love the streets you roam and one day, if you ever need them to, they'll love you back.' is something a friend of mine who went from the bottom to the top in the blink of an eye once told me.

like i said, what i really hate is people who move somewhere and don't appreciate to the fullest extent where it is that they are. people who don't invest in where they live, who don't internalize some part of their environment, people who take the fact that they

see... i could hate florida because its a cultural wasteland... i could long for NYC or philly... but you know what? i love where im at. i know that i dont have the resources alot of you do, but i have my neighborhood, and i try to be a good member of my local community.

id rather do something interesting in jacksonville than something standard in nyc

"Its not really about who's from where at the end of the day, its about sincerity of intention"

words to live by.

'having a roof over your head isn't guaranteed- learn to love the streets you roam and one day, if you ever need them to, they'll, love you back.' is something a friend of mine who went from the bottom to the top in the blink of an eye once told me.

absolutely. this is not different from what i'm saying. i'm still legitimately interested in where people grew up.

is that supposed to be a bad thing?

are west coasters are all wusses who are afraid of a little crime?

EDIT: i've finally gotten a green tip, with no pre-fix reproid rage necessary!

most west coasters would get eaten alive in the east.

it keeps me alert

NEWBS. Do your research.

346xliw.jpg

The West Coast has a higher percentage of dangerous cities in the top 10 than any other area (Midwest, South, Northeast, blah, blah).

Philly and NYC aren't even in the top 25........tough guys.

Oh, to maintain credibility, these are for violent crimes. The statistics "Morgan Quitno" publishes (which are the first to pop up when you search) include non-violent crimes as well, so the stats differ.

the crime dynamics are very different.

on the west coast, unless you are in a "bad" part of town, you are pretty much safe.

on the east coast, you can get got, pretty much any time, any where.

still most east coasters underestimate the criminality of the west. think dipset who got jacked for all they had.

england, didn't we do this very same thing-----i dunno, 9 months ago?

and as i remember, i pwned you. and you apologized to me.

why go through all this again?

Ha hah. Actually I remember, but I did the pwning if I recall.

Be careful though, I rigged a remote-controlled cyanide deployment device into the belt I sold you. Any second now.........

Either way there are statistics all over the board, and I picked the ones that suited me at the end of the day.

Still, Calfornia has some horribly dangerous places........Compton, Inglewood, Oakland, Stockton.......