Classical Music

tweeds

found a great recording of mendelssohn's octet in e flat (op 20) today at the library, it's really an excellent piece of writing, constructed brilliantly.

been looking at works with a fair amount of emphasis on the viola, i think it's safe to say that interest in that area has been sufficiently kindled over the last six months...it's a highly underrated instrument.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i'm a music major, guitar performance is my emphasis. i am mostly into more modern music, 20th century till now. however, i recently discovered leonin and perotin, composers for notre dame from the 12th/13th century who innovators of rhythmic notation and polyphony. otherwise though, i favor debussy, reich, glass, brouwer, bogdanovic, and other obscure guitar composers.

• 1 year later...

Graduated with Bachelor of Arts in Music (and a BS in Biology) as a Classical Guitarist this May. Studied with Gyan Riley, who is the son of Minimalist Composer Terry Riley.

I love the very early polyphony from around the 13th Century (particularly Perotin, who first took the plainchant from the mass and arranged 4 voices). I am not super into the Baroque or earlier Classical stuff though I of course respect it.

Late Classical and Romantic was a glorious time in music for me. Beethoven paved the way so beautifully for the likes of Schumann, Schubert. Pretty much from then on has been great for me. Loved the Impressionist then 20th c. stuff (Stravinsky for sure tweeds). Debussy, Rachmoninoff, Cage, Reich. Definitely a fan of minimalism, though it has to be done well, naturally. Love the way Reich explores rhythmic texture and his use of motives, particularly in his piece Electric Counterpoint.

My friend introduced me to the world of microtonal music last year. La Mont Young wrote a ~5 hour piece called The Well Tuned Piano that blew my mind. Another interesting thing to check out is Burmese Piano music :)

• 2 weeks later...

i was gonna make a thread called less obvious classical musicians you dig thread but i doubt that people would post so ill just put it here.

akiko suwanai x paganini violin concerto no.1

Q2onBnMHLNE

martha argerich x chopin polonaise no.6 in Ab Op. 53 "heroique"

KCSEwfqs-VM

jung lin x liszt hungarian rhapsody no 2 (same as the tom and jerry one but at a faster tempo)

D9-2jM5RNSs

any recommendations? books to read, youtube videos, anything really.

wish id seen this thread before... sup tweeds?

been chilling with alot of classical guitarists recently, been put onto alot of stuff, from piazolla to segovia

for those who dont know, im a cellist of 12 years experience. i was a performance major but im taking a break from that right now, as im really not sure if im going to make a career out of gigging and trying to find a good orchestra spot (i feel i probably wont return full-on, but ill always play).

yo juby... sorry but that paganini is too flat! it was originally in d major yes, but paganini played it tuned up so the sound was almost Eflat major. i actually been listening to hilary hanh's recording of it more than others because its as "sharp" as i like it, and shes really almost too clean and perfect. a negative of her recording though is that i feel she lacks a bit of that show-off flair that a male violinist would bring (edit: didnt read less obvious classical musicians... nvm)

yo juby... sorry but that paganini is too flat! it was originally in d major yes, but paganini played it tuned up so the sound was almost Eflat major. i actually been listening to hilary hanh's recording of it more than others because its as "sharp" as i like it, and shes really almost too clean and perfect. a negative of her recording though is that i feel she lacks a bit of that show-off flair that a male violinist would bring (edit: didnt read less obvious classical musicians... nvm)

i should have put less obvious classical musician chicks you dig thread. a parody of the thread in the trash.

"Rite of Spring" is definitely one of my faves. Also love Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition," Bartok's "Concerto for Orchestra," Holst's Planets orchestration, etc. No one favorite time period, as I like bits and pieces of everything.

Average pianist at best, my favorite of this century is definitely Horowitz. His rendition of Chopin's "Polonaise" is arguably the best.

And if anyone can find the time and lives in SoCal, definitely check out Gustavo Dudamel for the LA Philharmonic. Saw him at a free concert at the Hollywood Bowl about a month back where he orchestrated Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 - absolutely phenomenal.

been playing trombone since i was in 6th grade after learning piano and music theory since around 4. i have to say, it is my religion. favorite era would definitely be romantic.. huge, flowing and deep.

i've just started (in the last couple years) learning about jazz style and whatnot. i listened to a lot of jazz prior to this, but never tried playing in a group.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvQxHfNLbOk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvQxHfNLbOk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i really need to get this and learn it hahaha

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftckDKJMCdM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftckDKJMCdM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Graduated with Bachelor of Arts in Music (and a BS in Biology) as a Classical Guitarist this May.

sweet, is that a musical career or a research job in the works?

wish id seen this thread before... sup tweeds?

sup dom

been chilling with alot of classical guitarists recently, been put onto alot of stuff, from piazolla to segovia

for those who dont know, im a cellist of 12 years experience. i was a performance major but im taking a break from that right now, as im really not sure if im going to make a career out of gigging and trying to find a good orchestra spot (i feel i probably wont return full-on, but ill always play).

shame to hear that - although music school isn't always the best thing in the world - what are you up to now?

classical guitar is masterful stuff, i've been borrowing a bit of the finger technique from flamenco, the thumb work from victor wooten, coaxing out a wider palette of textures from my violin. not really classical, but same amount of work required to get some control over that and start using it effectively.

has anyone seen pollini play? he came to london in march this year and although much older now his control and technique is still remarkable, which allowed his beethoven (tempest and appasionata) such a range of expression. his toolbox is great and his mind is directional.

horowitz: the last romantic

zA2OTKvOdL0

i just started taking piano lessons in february and i'm taking my RCM grade 2 exam on january. i'm also taking the intermediate rudiments exam next month.

anyone have any tips on learning a new piece or just practicing in general? like focusing (i have touble with this) and experimenting with phrasing, etc..

^ do little passages that you have trouble with rather than playing the piece over and over again, this helps especially when you lose focus easily... if you're tripping up, play the passage dead slow and gradually speed it up from there. it's just a mental trick so that you play different passages in your practise session rather than the same whole piece.

for phrasing, listen to many different recordings. but dont just pick from the basket of phrasing options. think about how it feels.

listening, (as much as i'm not a fan of suzuki method, no hate to anyone who uses it or likes it) is one of the best ways to learn the flow of something youre going to perform. with almost any style of music.

maybe i'm just being high lol

So how many of you dudes, like myself, were forced to learn a classical instrument as a child(piano, cello, bass, double bass, flute, oboe, violin, viola, vagina, etc.)?

I used to hate that shit so hard. I started with violin but gave up, shit I was 7. Played piano instead. But now I appreciate it and play and listen to classical music very often, calming when studying, chilling, morning cup of coffee, whatever.

Share your favorite classical musics so we can have classical music orgy in fake wigs.

Bach is pretty tight and this guy does some really cool videos that "show" the music. But I'd have to say my all time favorite composer, as cliche as it is, is Beethoven. Chopin, Chopan, Debussy, and Tchaikovsky are also pretty nice.

• 2 weeks later...

listening, (as much as i'm not a fan of suzuki method, no hate to anyone who uses it or likes it) is one of the best ways to learn the flow of something youre going to perform. with almost any style of music.

No, this is true. However, as a classically trained violinist playing for about thirteen years, who started with the Suzuki method, there is a huge glaring problem with using that alone to start with violin. Namely the fact that it rarely expounds or teaches the fundamental theory behind the music. It's pretty much, LISTEN, then COPY

I stopped playing a lot when I entered uni (~5 years ago), and only recently realized that I really, really loved modern club jazz a la quasimode, indigo jam unit, jabberloop. I'm trying to adapt my classical method of playing to jazz, and I've been slowly teaching myself the fundamentals of music theory of both jazz and classical.

I just need people to play with now. :rolleyes:

Speaing as someone who teaches I can't say I have any regard for the Suzuki method whatsoever... asides from the fundamental failing that rather than teaching people about music it teaches them to play music (like some kind of robotic performing monkey) it's teaching methods are extremely dated and inefficient in terms of speed of learning. If you want to get good at an instrument quickly you need to dedicate time and effort to a) reading as much different music as possible B) developing your skillset of articulations etc. as early as possible and c) learning to play as many patterns (muscle memories) as possible. Piddling about teaching and learning by rote is wasting everyone's time as far as I'm concerned, if it was fast and effective I could at least appreciate it. In addition, the benefit of being able to play music but not understand it eludes me... all the beauties and secrets of music lie in the understanding, not in the execution.