PRPS

testconditions

I have the non-selvege slim cut and they are definitely the best fitting jeans I have found. I really want a selvage, raw japanese jean, but I couldn't find any that fit as well as these so maybe I have finally found the right jean. Also, I hope the inseam is lengthened because the 31" only comes with a 32" inseam and you have to size up to 32" to get a 34" inseam, etc. with the ones I own.

ringring i think you're right on that one.

overdyed denim also usually fades to the underlying colour, whereas a yarn dye allows for more manipulation eg. keeping the core undyed like in the S5000BK

I guess it depends on what you're overdyeing - if you overdyed a light colour like ecru with a strong, dark reactive dye, then there would be virtually no fade through to the original colour.

Keeping the core undyed is more a property of the dye and dye process.

But you're right, yarn dye allows for certain looks to be achieved during weaving because you can change colours of warp & weft threads. eg. striped shirts, prince of wales check, plaid etc. It's generally considered a prestigious way of making fabric compared to piece dyeing or garment dyeing.

Hence, I would consider the PRPS black-blacks, more prestigious than if they were made of piece dyed fabric.

They look nice but remind me of the nandoXnando and the new ALD Prescott & Royal darktone versions which IMO look way nicer.

mpd_01.jpg

*edit* 'cept the nando's feature indigo warp and black (suminando) weft (or vice versa, I forget) and the ALD's aren't black or selvedge seam and presumably are not designed to fade at all. Carry on.

I've seen the indigo slimcut version in Selfridges two weeks ago but didn't buy it manly because the sales staff didn't seem to know anything about the denim properties ie stretching/shrinking issues. There are other knowledgeable shops about so I was willing to wait for the right moment. I was debating whether to start a thread about this butI wasn't sure whether people would be interested in PRPS stuff.

i swear that purple/blue selvage denim looks just like the material Gap is using. Which looks just like the material Jeans Shop is using. I dare someone to look at all 3 at the same time. ... DARE YOU

I guess it depends on what you're overdyeing - if you overdyed a light colour like ecru with a strong, dark reactive dye, then there would be virtually no fade through to the original colour.

Keeping the core undyed is more a property of the dye and dye process.

But you're right, yarn dye allows for certain looks to be achieved during weaving because you can change colours of warp & weft threads. eg. striped shirts, prince of wales check, plaid etc. It's generally considered a prestigious way of making fabric compared to piece dyeing or garment dyeing.

Hence, I would consider the PRPS black-blacks, more prestigious than if they were made of piece dyed fabric.

yeah i guess i was more thinking of some O/Ds i remember where a greencasted indigo comes through the black? or a basic indigo hue. it might have been the APC overdyes.

on that note, are overdyes usually done atop an ecru or similarly light base colour?

prestigious is an interesting word to use...i guess only something like the nandoxnando would do justice to the 45rpm name.

yeah i guess i was more thinking of some O/Ds i remember where a greencasted indigo comes through the black? or a basic indigo hue. it might have been the APC overdyes.

on that note, are overdyes usually done atop an ecru or similarly light base colour?

prestigious is an interesting word to use...i guess only something like the nandoxnando would do justice to the 45rpm name.

if you read on the 45rpm website you can read that it took a long while to finally get the dying process for the nandoXnando right. My brother just got a pair, they're easiest one of the nicest/striking jeans you'll ever see. The color is so fucking rich..

Yes, overdyeing is usually done with the dark dye over a lighter shade, for obvious reasons.

Regarding the Nandos, I think they look like cheap, solid colour pigment dyed jeans when new. They only start to look like something special when the indigo starts wearing away.

Ringring-

\You are most assuredly right about the misusage of the term overdye. I was a little confused by the use of it myself in reference to the black selvage. Overdye was the term that PRPS had attached to the garment however (i.e. the descripton that comes up when the item is scanned in our inventory system) so I just kindof ran with it. Yarn dyed is much more accurate. The white selvage line does pretty much assure that; definitely not polyester or another man made yarn.

• 2 months later...

Thanks jayrock for the honest opinion.. I was so close to buying a pair lol..i just wanted somebodies opinion before proceeding..

Also, im looking for proxies on here, i know parachutes is one but i dont see him on much..

anybody else that i can possibly buy off of? in terms of japanese denim?

Take my PRPS classic selvedge from the 05 collection off of me if you want.

32 waist and 6 months good wear gives you a head start. They're waiting to be dry cleaned or rinsed right now I haven't decided which yet. Paid £180 shipped international from the Denim Bar so make me an offer.

im still trying to decide on what i want at the moment..im searching through sites and im quickly finding new brands which entice me..

Im going to need some proxies soon because ive seen some nice Skull and Eternal denim on some japanese sites, however they dont do INTL shipping.

^There's a thread about this 'new fit' already

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=23348

...as well as several (many) other exisiting threads about PRPS. I've tried on this 'new fit' and they fit me quite dopely, but in general PRPS doesn't get much love in SuFu; because they're made in Japan, but not actually Japanese owned and operated; since they often do such wacky, contrived washes; and because they're an unexpectedly decent offshoot of a gaudy, hip-hop brand; Akademiks (sp?). Because of that hip-hop popularity, unless you're really educated about their telltale details, it's best to err on the side of any PRPS found on ebay, being fake.