White dress shirts?

peteyross

I'm looking for a slim white dress shirt with french cuffs if possible (the shirt will be worn with a tie/suit). I've been to Charles Tyrwhitt and Brooks Brothers and I wasn't successful. Charles Tyrwhitt are idiots for not selling a size 15.5/34 (below size 16 neck, they only offer 33 or 35 inch sleeves). Unfortunately I'll need it by Friday and I can't take the time to get the sleeves altered on a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt. Bummer.

I've gotten white shirts from Century 21 before (YSL and D&G) but they are always semi-transparent b-grades.

I also went to Thomas Pink but $165 for a white shirt is a last resort. Any recommendations? Oh yeah -- and I'm in NYC. Thanks.

"I also went to Thomas Pink but $165 for a white shirt is a last resort."

I really like my Black Label. And they age really well. Might be worth the investment?

Edited by 35mm on May 11, 2005 at 06:19 AM

Edited by 35mm on May 11, 2005 at 06:19 AM

thom brown is fucking expensive! though his jackets fit so good.. straight up JFK aestheitic. i love it.

as for white, french cuff shirts? don't know who makes a good french cuff - but jil sander makes a nice, slim white shirt.

no matter how you slice it, you're gonna spend a couple hundred or more on a good shirt.

dig.

It sounds to me like what you really want is an all-purpose white shirt to accompany your suit and not an amazing white shirt of the finest quality to break necks. That being the case, ever consider just checking to see if what Banana Republic is carrying in terms of white dress shirts? I think they always have a few styles each season. Or just go back to Century 21 and try again

I know myself personally if I want/need to get just a plain white dress shirt my first thought isn't Paul Smith or Pink

Not sure if its available to you, but the other day I picked up a really nice white cotton non-see-thru shirt from Tiger of Sweden, french cuff, tall collar (whats the real term?).....its got business shirt sizing but it is quite slim and not boxy.

Try it, you'll like it!

I am holding out on the Brooks Brothers slim fit shirt because I was really looking for french cuffs. I think I'm going to end up getting it there though.

I'm certainly not afraid to drop a couple hundred on a dress shirt, but generally not for a white one. I'm probably going to wear it once, maybe twice so I didn't want to waste my money for a spur of the moment interview. My work will require business casual so I'll likely wear shirts with a little more color (my favorites being Paul Smith and Gucci). I was really just wondering if there was some stand-by white shirt that everyone knew was the best.

After weighing my options though, it sounds like Brooks Brothers is my best bet (afterall, its only 60 bucks). The french cuffs will have to wait another day.

• 1 year later...

Reiss does slim fitting shirts quite well. I've got two -- one with french cuffs and the other without. I've been very happy with them both. And I know they just moved into the new mall here in San Francisco -- worth checking out.

If your not tied to local spots (for some reason I'm thinking your in San Francisco), Seize sur Vingt has some really nicely cut, slim-fitting shirts. Very simple designs. I haven't heard the greatest things about their lifespan, though the shirts from their more casual line have held up great for me.

agree with sander, lang and tiger of sweden. Would like to add Costume National, I wear almost exclusively their dress shirts, have yet to find a better fit.

picked up a band of brothers oxford about a year ago. great cut. they basically take a vintage oxford slim it down. nice ties too.

where can you get costume national around the bay area, cali? so i ended up going to banana republic they have like a few slim dress shirt.the cut is pretty nice. i picked up this one black slim fit,w/ french cuffs. and this one white tuxedo plead front shirt w/french cuffs.material feels nice,cotton is super soft. shell buttons.

where can you get costume national around the bay area, cali?

There's a place in Union Square called The Archive that sells Costume National, Neil Barrett, Cloak, and the some other brands that specialize in urban-warfare-meets-overstyled-indulgence. And I really do mean that in the kindest way possible.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/TZgKCUvlOZxiP6AiRYDQZQ