tea anyone?

mizanation

This is the good stuff;

img7948av9.jpg

A few balls in the bottom of a mug and they just unfurl slowly as the boiling water heats them, releasing white tea goodness and an amazing jasmine scent. You can reuse one serving of them a few times too (like most green tea).

So expensive because they are only made from the tips of the thea sinensis branches and rolled with jasmine by hand.

got some of this earlier. had no idea it was a hundo a pound.

the classic of tea .. looks like you can find it for like $75

still about 60 -70 quid for a book

thats about a months worth of tea to me

I was mostly grumbling about the weakass £

got some of this earlier. had no idea it was a hundo a pound.

just the tip of the iceberg

jasmine pearl is a reasonably priced tea compared to some

some rarer greens are about twice that

and aged pu-erhs go for thousands of dollars for a few hundred grams

quite the expensive habit

still about 60 -70 quid for a book

thats about a months worth of tea to me

I was mostly grumbling about the weakass £

$60-70 for a book of great information is totally worth it. if you think about it, half the time college textbooks are $80-150 (or more) each, even when you buy used.

Further to the discussion about the best temperatures

I came across this advice from my fave tea stores blog

"Different teas taste better if they are made with the correct water temperature. Many black teas, Puerh teas and Oolong teas taste great if you use near boiling water. But Green tea, White tea and Yellow teas definitely taste better with water that is 70-80°C. But don’t let this worry you. Here are the modern and traditional ways to know what temperature your water is.

Should the water boil?

Water which is fully boiled becomes flat and stale, like food which is reheated many times. Boiling water de-oxygenates it. The higher the level of oxygen the more taste you will get.

If you ever eat in China or Japan you will notice that slurping food not only acceptable but encouraged. These ‘delicious noises’ as they are called, bring more oxygen into the nose and mouth, allowing you to taste the food more fully. It is the same when you drink tea, the more oxygen in the water, (and the more you slurp) the more fully you will taste the flavour.

The Modern Way

If you are drinking a Black, Puerh or Oolong tea, boiling water can be used but we recommend that you take your kettle away from its power source before it comes to a rolling boil. This prevents the water becoming deoxygenated or flat.

The Traditional Way

Have you noticed that as your kettle boils the sound changes and the way the steam rises becomes faster an more intense?

As the water gets hotter tiny bubbles the size of a pin head start to rise to the surface and pop – these are called ’shrimp eyes’ in Chinese. Lazy, slow moving wisps of steam arise and the kettle makes its first low humming sounds. This temperature (60-70 degrees) is perfect for the finest green teas.

As the water gets hotter, the bubbles grow to ‘crab eyes,’ which are half the size of marbles. Wisps of steam begin to rise vertically in a steady stream and the kettle starts to make popping sounds. This temperature is perfect for white tea, jasmine tea and green oolong teas as it is around 80 degrees.

When the bubbles become the size of marbles (fish eyes), the kettle makes stronger sounds and the steam rises in thick fast-moving columns the water has reached a temperature of 90-95°C and is perfect for oolong, puerh and black teas.

The final stage, which is not considered to be suitable for tea making, the kettle makes the sound of a raging torrent and the bubbles roll and swirl. This is traditionally called ‘old man water’ and is stale and de-oxygenated.

A number of customers have asked us where they can get a good quality temperature variable kettle to enjoy our teas with so we have done some research and found a couple that have the necessary features.

AW08204-7513TPS336277.jpg

Philips HD4687 Temperature Control Kettle

First is a Phillips model, which we’re currently using in the office. This kettle gives you a choice of heating water to 40, 60, 80 or 100°C. It’s well built and has a modern and pretty stylish look. We’ve been using this kettle in the office for 2 months now and have so far had no problems at all with this

kettle.

brevillevariabletemperature.jpg

Breville Variable-Temperature Kettle

At the slightly higher end of the market is the below example from Breville. It’s not a kettle we have used ourself but from the maufacturer’s website, it seems to have all the functions we would look for in a kettle, including a keep warm function, useful for multiple infusions over a short period of time."

• 2 years later...

Edit: Yeah alright I'm shit with the search function. (can't search 3 character terms?)

Drinking a nice jasmine oolong as I type this. Need to up my teaware game though and also want a Gaiwan set for no particular reason...

GaiwanBambooSet.jpg

... Other than them being pretty damn cool.

(doesn't have to be any rare fancy tea thing either, I love me an english breakfast)

tried a gong fu set recentley

at london review of books cafe (great cake too}

really is the way to go if your a fan of oolong

peurh is def acquired taste you can get decent stuff on ebay dragon tea house and yunnan sourcing are good sellers

I tried some stuff from 70's and 90's really does improve with vintage

been diggin matcha daily

koyaeman ceremonial range is the best ive tried

• 3 years later...

I'm big in to coffee more, but noticed there didn't seem to be a thread about tea. I've been lucky enough to live in spots that have really dope Japanese style tea houses where you can get a bunch of really great rare/exotic teas by the ounce.

As I said, usually I'm more in a coffee mood but for mid-day jasmine pearl green tea has been my jam. In the mornings standard English blacks are great, and for the night time I've gotten hooked on this blend of lemon verbena, chamomile, lavender, mugwort, passionflower, tulsi, and valerian root. It tastes like feet but puts you out like an ambien. I used to have to smoke weed before bed but this stuff has been really helpful.

Any one else a teahead?

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/22888-tea-anyone/

Use the search function before making a thread

I used the search function (searched "tea") and went through four pages and didn't find any titled with anything about tea. Guess I didn't dig deep enough, my bad.

(I started a new thread not realizing there already was a tea thread)

I've gotten hooked on this blend of lemon verbena, chamomile, lavender, mugwort, passionflower, tulsi, and valerian root. It tastes like feet but puts you out like an ambien. I used to have to smoke weed before bed but this stuff has been really helpful. It's called "dream time" and is sold at Townshend which is a chain of tea shops in mostly in Oregon. I checked the website and discovered they are also in NY and WA.

However, since I've moved to Seattle I've heard great things about the international/Chinese district and its tea houeses so I'm excited to see what sort of jasmine pearls, oolong, etc. they have available.

• 4 months later...

there's a dedicated coffee thread but not one for tea, so here it is. 

I love coffee and drink it a lot but have now just taken a break from caffeine and want to sip on some herbal tea. I know nothing about tea and purely just drink tea bag teas. My favorite is this: http://www.redseal.co.nz/product/black-adder-liquorice-tea/

otherwise i like to drink a mug of peppermint and chamomile tea. 

I'm looking to get proper tea ware; anything similiar to an aeropress in the tea world? 

any other forums, resources, links to check out? 

Edited by teeo

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I drink Russian Star by Mariage Frères. My usual daily dose of tea.

It's a green tea with floral notes. I make it iced in the summer and is also perfect in the winter.

mariage_russianstar.jpg