best song intros

superdupersang

I love that bass line for One of These Days, but my favourite Floyd intro has to be the one to Sheep from Animals. I love that electronic piano intro along with the sheep noises, then the bass coming in... considerably longer than 12 seconds though ;)

Oh, and my favourite intro from The Who would be When I Was A Boy... Entwistle's horn intro is so cool, then Moon's drumming kicks in... so awesome.

I love that bass line for One of These Days

Seconded (or is that thirded?) I have seen it done live 3 times now. Its the time in the concert when the giant inflatable pig with the glowing eyes makes its appearance. The only reason I picked Shine On before was that the first time I saw PF they opened with it and I was sitting in row 2 right in front of Dave. :)

My Sharona. duh.

ok, for serious. Lots of good stuff already mentioned above. I figured I'd list a few for each decade. Half my shit isn't tagged right in itunes so I'm missing lots of gems, but whatever.

1960s:

Albert Ayler - Ghosts, First Variation

The Beatles - Why Don't We Do It In the Road

Os Mutantes - A Minha Menina

Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil (overplayed, but still)

1970s:

AC/DC - Back in Black

Blondie - One Way or Another

Buzzcocks - Orgasm Addict

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song

Iggy Pop - Lust for Life

The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop

The Stranglers - Peaches

Wire - Three Girl Rhumba

X-Ray Spex - Bondage Up Yours

80s:

Devo - Whip It

X - Los Angeles

Violent Femmes - Blister In the Sun (admit you like it)

Minutemen - Maybe Partying Will Help

Dead Milkmen - every song on Big Lizard

Sonic Youth - Death Valley '69

Big Black - Bad Penny

The Pixies - Tame

90s:

Jesus Lizard - Nub

Fugazi - Waiting Room

Superchunk - Precision Auto

JSBX - Full Grown

Shellac - Dog and Pony Show (or Killers from the Lounge Ax benefit album)

Rye Coalition - The Lipstick Game

Guest StuckOnStupid

AC/DC's Highway To Hell immediately comes to mind. fuck that shit is good, eh?

My Bloody Valentine - "Only Shallow"

Cage - Agent orange

Metallica - Blackened

Joy Division - Transmission

Method Man - Method Man

Dont Fear The Reaper - BOC

Airbag - Radiohead

good thread, btw...

Guest StuckOnStupid
intro to "new york state of mind" is awesome. primo is a genius. and of course nas.

fuck yeah...throw in the first 8 bars of Crooklyn dodgers part 2 while yr at it...

Guest StuckOnStupid
ok, i'm gonna say Justin timberlake's cry me a river. i like it. a looooot. and also bruce springsteen:the river. that man plays a mean harmonica.

yeah thats a mean 8 bars in the JT song

Seconded (or is that thirded?) I have seen it done live 3 times now. Its the time in the concert when the giant inflatable pig with the glowing eyes makes its appearance. The only reason I picked Shine On before was that the first time I saw PF they opened with it and I was sitting in row 2 right in front of Dave. :)

very cool. i wish i got to see pf in their prime.

do you think they will do another tour? preferably with roger than without however unlikely that may be...

NY State of mind, seconded. "Iono how to start this shit" then he just goes in...dope.

Ummm..from what hasn't been said:

De La - "Me, Myself, & I"

De La - "Rock Co.kane Flow"

Camp Lo - "Luchini"

Roots - "Concerto of The Desperado"

Nas - "Ether"

Some of these violate the 12 second rule but:

A Tribe Called Quest: Check the Rhime, Can I Kick It

Journey: Don't Stop Believing

Eric Clapton: Layla

Audioslave: Cochise

Metallica: For Whom the Bell Tolls

John Mayer Trio: Who Did You Think I Was?

As I Lay Dying- 94 Hours

The Temptations- My Girl, Just My Imagination, Papa Was a Rolling Stone

alot more I cant think of.

haha "Dont stop believin" is my friends ringer (I hear it when I call him). Im so tired of it. But still fun for karaoke.

Ha I just love that song. My friends and I go off whenever we hear it.

very cool. i wish i got to see pf in their prime.

do you think they will do another tour? preferably with roger than without however unlikely that may be...

I didn't see them in the prime (just 87 & 94 in YVR and 88 in Germany). Actually Roger's gig at Expo Theatre in 87 is to this day one of the greatest shows I have ever seen (he is playing GM Place on June 21 btw).

I doubt that they will tour with Roger again - though post Live 8 it was looking possible. They just don't need the money, even the enormous amounts thrown at them to tour together.

Actually Roger's gig at Expo Theatre in 87 is to this day one of the greatest shows I have ever seen (he is playing GM Place on June 21 btw).

oh wow didnt know roger was coming here. might have to go now. are you going?

...i wonder if he will play some tracks from the final cut that is one of my fav pf albums for some reason.

oh wow didnt know roger was coming here. might have to go now. are you going?

...i wonder if he will play some tracks from the final cut that is one of my fav pf albums for some reason.

I think that I will go. I love the Final Cut as well. On his last tour he played Southampton Dock and The Fletcher Memorial Home regularly. When I saw him he did Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert and Southampton Dock. A press release had this to say:

"Set One will be a comprehensive overview of Waters' music including early Pink Floyd material; classic compositions from the masterpiece "The Wall"; beloved pieces from "Animals," "Wish You Were Here," and "The Final Cut"; and songs from Waters' solo tour de force: "Amused To Death."

Set Two will consist of Roger Waters and full band performing "The Dark Side Of The Moon," one of the defining works of rock music history, from start-to-finish. Waters last performed "The Dark Side Of The Moon" live in America with Pink Floyd more than 30 years ago."

Should be good.