best song intros

superdupersang

title is self explanatory.

intro would be 12 seconds MAXIMUM.

1. the verve- bittersweet symphony

2. bloc party- like eating glass

3. dead prez- hiphop

my reason for this thread.

before eating an amazing meal, its the smell that first hits you, gets your saliva going etc

well, put on a good tune, and before the first couple of bars are even over, your in it.

of course, if you wanna go real old school:

ray charles - "what'd i say?"

stevie wonder - "superstition"

cosign on teen spirit and easy rider.

speakin of Stevie...put "Sir Duke" up there as well.

I'm listenin to Songs in the Key of Life right now...felt like doin that after hearin that kid butcher "Knocks me off my feet" on my American Idol last night. Got me thinkin, the way music is put out and artists are built nowadays, i think it's pretty safe to say we'll never get anything close to the level of a Stevie or Michael Jackson ever again. Guys like Justin Timberlake make decent music for the times, but ultimately it's fleeting and forgettable.

yeah, we live in a different era. i ran a studio for a few years and it's amazing what you can do with technology now--pitch correction, vibrato, voice filters...

although, fantasia is pretty awesome. i've seen her in concert two times. stevie wonder performed at one of those concerts and he is fuckin AMAZING. all he had was a keyboard and a mike. that's all he needed to fuckin destroy the house.

i also like the older era of music producers...back then they weren't so much the 'beatmakers' of today but were really involved in crafting an artist's sound and you can hear their signature through that artist's work...like Quincy Jones is the best example.

The only one producer still prolific today i can think of that matches that kind of description of a producer as arranger/composer is Dr. Dre. Oh and Timbaland...but that's about it.